Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9880 Smudging Issues  (Read 2032 times)

Proofer101

Epson 9880 Smudging Issues
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:31:40 am »

Hello,

My company has just purchased an Epson Ultrachrome k3 9880 proofer, and we are experiencing smudging issues after a piece has been printed. We see the smudging when we do folding samples for our customers. We dont do duplexing on the Epson, just flat proofs.

We glue two halfs together, fold the piece and give it to the customer as a hard copy. When we make the folds, there is usually a streak of discoloration when making a tight crease. Plus, you can literally smudge any part of the document that has color(which most of our proofs are 4 color). We have been trying different types of paper to see if the ink would react differently.

We recently found out that the Epson does not have a dryer unit, and that the proofs must have a minimum drying time of 30 minutes. We have let pieces dry for a few days and still experince the same. Its not as extreme as waiting 30 minutes, but it still seems odd that I have to wait to mock up a job for a customer and not man handle the proofs so we don't experience smudging. Just about every proofing system that I have worked with has had some type of drying unit.

I am looking for some clarity. Has anyone experience the same? I know that I am not the only one who mocks up proofs like I explained above. Is there an alternative for drying the proofs quicker other than with a blow dryer(just kidding)? I haven't talked with Epson yet about this, but I wanted to see if anyone has any tricks they could share.

Thanks

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:23:11 pm »

What sort of paper are you printing on?

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:33:29 pm »

With appropriate media in reasonable environmental conditions, the Epson is touch dry on printing.  If you want to really rub it you'll smudge it, but normal handling shouldn't be an issue.

It is aqueous based ink, not solvent, so no dryer is used.

Creasing the paper will cause problems as you break the substrate - it's also possible that your glue could be an issue (but since we don't know which papers or glues etc you're using it's hard to say).

If you wait 30 minutes, it's colour stable (that's where that 30 minute figure comes from with Ultrachrome, btw).
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up