Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: B&H and Adorama Closed--Options?  (Read 15390 times)

BryanHansel

• www.bryanhansel.com
B&H and Adorama Closed--Options?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 12:11:05 pm »

Not sure about California, but in Arkansas I must pay sales tax no matter where I buy something just as the other guy noted -
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
In Minnesota, it's called Use Tax. You have to pay it.
Bryan Hansel
[url=http://www.paddling

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 04:29:39 pm »

Why are people so full of certitude theyse days?

In California, unless an online business has a physical store in its state, you're excluded from paying sales tax, just as the business is from charging it.
Dwdallam-
Unfortunately, your certitude is 100% wrong with regard to California sales tax.  I can speak from the experience of someone who has been audited by them three times.  

The article you linked to is not entirely correct.  Sales tax varies from state to state, but what they are talking about re: physical presence in a state is whether the seller is required to collect sales tax.  If they are out of state, they do not need to collect the tax.  If you, as an end user/purchaser are in California, however, it is YOUR responsibility to send the state Board of Equalization the tax ON YOUR OWN.  Not all companies do this, and a great many individuals do not, but if you are ever audited they will look at every single purchase receipt on your books and make you pay the tax retroactively.  It is a calculated risk you take with large purchases, but if they catch you, you will owe the tax, penalty and interest.

FYI:  California determines that the tax is due when the end user takes possession of the tangible goods in California.  In the case of mail order, that happens on your doorstep, not where the goods were shipped from.

The other issue with California tax is that it is called "sales and use tax", so even if you use a resale card to buy something, if it is a tool that is used to create your end product then it is classified as a tool vs. a product that can be classified for resale.  Even if you do resell it, you are liable for use tax and must pay the full tax because you are using it to create something else (like a photograph).  

For years, California has been clamping down on the tax collection to get as much money as possible without having to pass unpopular new laws.  As the APA or ASMP can attest, photographers have been a prime target of this.  Twenty years ago, much of a photographer's expenses were allowed to be left untaxed.  These days, very little fits that description.

Avoid the sales tax by purchasing out of state, as many do.  Just know, that you are not safe from a potential audit unless you pay tax on all purchases, in state and out.

-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

ruraltrekker

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 04:44:40 pm »

Quote from: dwdallam,Apr 22 2008, 05:04 AM
Why are people so full of certitude theyse days?

Are you a photographer with a business or just doing a hobby? Businesses are NOT Exempt from paying sales taxes on out of state purchases unless the item is to be resold or added to an item that will be sold (and sales tax collected). As someone already stated, it is generally called Use Tax - items bought tax exempt that are consumed by the business (or not re-sold but kept to be used by the business) must pay Use Tax on said items.

CA has some of the toughest laws on Sales & Use Taxes in the country. You are really playing with fire buddy.

Of course if you are just shooting as a hobby & are not running a photo business then most states aren't going to hunt you down.

Time you get some professional advice if you are running a business, 'cause it seems you know very little if anything about how to do it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:47:40 pm by ruraltrekker »

framah

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 06:29:03 pm »

Up here in Maine,  last year we had what they called an amnesty period to pay back sales/use taxes for the last 5 or 6 years. If you voluntarily sent in what you owed, they wouldn't come out and audit you.  If you were sent a notice, it meant you were on a list that they would be checking to see if you responded.  If they decided to audit you, they were going to go back as far as they could and charge you interest and penalties on top of the tax owed. The law had been on the books for 50 years but few paid any attention  to it.

You had to actually  write a 0 in the space on your tax return or else the state would estimate based on your income and bill you for sales/use tax.

The amnesty period allowed us to give it up and not be audited. Now I go ahead and give them based on purchases on my c/card statements.

On the plus side, there is a section of the state law that exempts equipment from sales tax if it is used to create photographs... cameras, lenses, darkroom equipment and now my scanner, Epson printer, my computer and monitors and such.

The state still gets money for sales/use just not on my equipment.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 01:25:31 am »

If my CPA tells me to, I will. Until then, I'll let him do the taxes--bottom line.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No problem.  It's a calculated risk if made in an informed manner.  CPAs certainly know the laws.  I just didn't want others to assume that there were no risks in following your lead.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 01:59:21 am »

Well, I stand corrected, I think. I'm going to ask my CPA about it and see what he says--since he has never said anything to me about my equipment and sales tax. Perhaps it's because I don't have or need a resale license? In any event, I'll find out and report back.

I guess for nonbusiness related purchases, even though you are suppose to pay it, it is unenforceable. However, I distinctly remember the law being as I linked. I wonder where that comes from?

However, I don't pay state tax either, only federal. I don't know how he has worked it out, but he's said don't worry about it.

Also, this use tax does not just apply--from what I can see--to businesses, it applies to all people for all purchases, except those exempted. The Use Tax has been on the record since 1935, the BOE says, but I don't think it applied to internet sales until recently.

I'll find out.

--I did some fast research on this and it seems that many companies have gotten caught with their proverbial pants down on this tax. If you go to the BOE website you can look at the top "Use Tax Violations" and there are some very large companies that have not yet paid their Use Tax. I mean some of them owe millions!
http://www.boe.ca.gov/cgi-bin/deliq.cgi
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:16:17 am by dwdallam »

dwdallam

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 02:39:50 am »

No problem.  It's a calculated risk if made in an informed manner.  CPAs certainly know the laws.  I just didn't want others to assume that there were no risks in following your lead.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And you were right to do so. I'll call tomorrow and ask him.

Jim Z

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 06:53:43 pm »

Here in CT it's the same thing... if you pay the sales tax elsewhere you are ok but if not you owe.  Many years ago I got a notice from the state about buying camera equipment from NY.  I had the option to pay the tax and interest if I didn't have proof of tax payment there.  If I didn't by a certain date I owed tax, interest and penalty!  I think this digital online age also has advantages for the tax man!

dwdallam

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 12:40:35 am »

Well at least we don't get stuck with "Excise" tax, like my friend does. He's a manufacturer of fishing equipment, very small single owner. HE has to pay all of his federal and state tax and then the feds tack on an additional 10%. It really pisses me off because for a small business owner, it's almost impossible to make 40-60K US a year and make a living.

I mean you gotta be making 100K plus, but that's like, uh, LOTS of money and hard to make that much. And if you are making that much, then your entire life seems to be "work." Not only that, but given that, tax laws seem to favor large corporations and not the small business owner. And here in the US, we don't even get health care for our taxes.

I also think that those who think that we only pay low taxes compared to other countries, yes, in some ways we do, but if you add up all the REAL tax you pay in the US, not just state and federal, we're talking property, sales, gas, BUSINESS TAX (which doubles my tax bracket), we're really paying like 50%+ of our gross in taxes. Small business gets raped.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 12:41:46 am by dwdallam »

dwdallam

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 12:44:52 am »

Well at least we don't get stuck with "Excise" tax, like my friend does. He's a manufacturer of fishing equipment, very small single owner. HE has to pay all of his federal and state tax and then the feds tack on an additional 10%. It really pisses me off because for a small business owner, it's almost impossible to make 40-60K US a year and make a living.

I mean you gotta be making 100K plus, but that's like, uh, LOTS of money and hard to make that much. And if you are making that much, then your entire life seems to be "work." Not only that, but given that, tax laws seem to favor large corporations and not the small business owner. And here in the US, we don't even get health care for our taxes.

I also think that those who think that we only pay low taxes compared to other countries, yes, in some ways we do, but if you add up all the REAL tax you pay in the US, not just state and federal, we're talking property, sales, gas, BUSINESS TAX (which doubles my tax bracket), we're really paying like 50%+ of our gross in taxes. Small business gets raped.

I think I was taken in by the fact that the normal citizen buying things over the internet for personal use, including camera equipment, still does not have to pay sales tax, not because the law is unenforceable, nor is there a law forcing out of state internet sales to tax other states.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191549\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dwdallam

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 12:47:01 am »

I would look at www.allenscamera.com , the owner, Allen Leichter is very highly regarded.  I've bought all my gear from him.

s.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're name isn't "Allen" BTW, is it? LOL  Just joking.

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 12:16:12 pm »

You're name isn't "Allen" BTW, is it? LOL  Just joking.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope    Besides, I'm in British Columbia and he's in Levittown,PA.

Stewart
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up