Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstock or Schneider Digital Lenses  (Read 3835 times)

michaelnotar

Rodenstock or Schneider Digital Lenses
« on: April 21, 2008, 01:53:56 am »

what do you think is better, Rodenstock Digital lenses (not HRs) or Schneiders? I have heard the Rods are just rebounded film lenses.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:26 am »

Michael,
lot's of this subject has been discussed at great lenghts at this forum.
A search would be all you need to do!
Cheers,
Willem.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 03:11:10 am by rethmeier »
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:30:19 pm »

Michael,

you should not hear/listen what others tell, rather test and see with your eyes.

Best regards,
Thierry

I have heard the Rods are just rebounded film lenses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190904\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

michaelnotar

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:25:27 am »

wont some share their years of experience with me and type me a sentence or two summerizing it...

Marlyn

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 12:53:49 am »

wont some share their years of experience with me and type me a sentence or two summerizing it...
Don't hold your breath.

you should not hear/listen what others tell, rather test and see with your eyes.

Perhaps he can't. Perhaps he dosn't have access to them as yet, or hasn't developed a realtionship with a dealer, and may lean one side or the other depending on honest feedback from those that have gone before.  Most of us mere mortals can't afford to buy a few and 'try them out'.  (Or, like you Thierry, probably have access to a shelf full at work).  
And no, he dosn't need to explain this in advance, as the question was fairly simple and straightforward.

The level of arrogance in this forum of the board is astounding. Many threads now where simple questions have been asked,  are replied to with existential answers, or 'the view from the raised pedestal of superiority'.  Often all that was required was a relitivley simple answer.    

There is a vast amount of experience here, and probably an equally vast number of people considering to dare to dabble their toes in the MF digital world. I think a little more effort in the direction of assistance, rather than the norm (which seems to be ridicule as a rule) would go a long way.

To the O/P.  I am unable to give you an answer either, as I have only used a limited number of Schnieder lenses on 4x5, and am yet to make the move to MFD.  
Apologies for the hijack of thread, but this attitude finally grated once too often.

Mark.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 12:56:46 am by Marlyn »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:13:03 am »

There was no arrogance or whatsoever in my comment, but my experience and strong advice: don't you ever simply buy on something you have heard or you believe to be true because others have told you.

A little search here will lead you to many threads speaking about these 2 types/brand of lenses. "rainer_v" has in particular explained on many occasions the differences he have experienced: have a look to his posts.

I am sorry if my comment was misunderstood: my apologies.

Best regards,
Thierry

The level of arrogance in this forum of the board is astounding. Many threads now where simple questions have been asked,  are replied to with existential answers, or 'the view from the raised pedestal of superiority'.  Often all that was required was a relitivley simple answer.   

There is a vast amount of experience here, and probably an equally vast number of people considering to dare to dabble their toes in the MF digital world. I think a little more effort in the direction of assistance, rather than the norm (which seems to be ridicule as a rule) would go a long way.
To the O/P.  I am unable to give you an answer either, as I have only used a limited number of Schnieder lenses on 4x5, and am yet to make the move to MFD.   
Apologies for the hijack of thread, but this attitude finally grated once too often.

Mark.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191140\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

E_Edwards

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 09:05:16 am »

what do you think is better, Rodenstock Digital lenses (not HRs) or Schneiders? I have heard the Rods are just rebounded film lenses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190904\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Michael,

I use both brands Apo-digitars in the range of 100, 120 macro, Apo Sironar digital 135 and 150 and I can't really see much difference if any, between both brands in the digital range. They are all good. They are designed to be used with apertures around f11 even f16, but starting to go softer progressively beyond that.

Years ago, when I converted to digital, I used my film lenses,  Apo Schneiders, and can confirm that they are probably not as sharp, but still very usable and some of them very close to the digital ones to tell the difference, but since lenses can vary from unit to unit, from focal length to focal length, it's very difficult to be precise. I don't have any experience with wide angle lenses.

Edward
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:07:49 am by E_Edwards »

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 10:05:23 am »

They are designed to be used with apertures around f11 even f16, but starting to go softer progressively beyond that.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I use the Apo-digitar 47, 90 and 120, where the litterature from Schneider states optimum aperture ranges respectively:

47XL=f8-f11
90N=f4,5-f11
120M=f5,6-f11 (going down to just 5,6 at 4:1 reproduction scale)

I find the lenses best around f.5.6-8, and noticeably better than all my H2 glass in "picture quality" (I have no idea about resolving power or otherwise. Never tested... maybe i should do that someday, test my 120 macro digitar against my 120 macro HC   )
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+
Pages: [1]   Go Up