Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Camera bag -advice pls.  (Read 7970 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
New Camera bag -advice pls.
« on: April 20, 2008, 06:59:49 am »

I need a new backpack for a 5 day photographic trip to Cradle mountain in Tasmania. I will be staying on location in a small hut and treking out daily from there - returning at night. So it only has to carry my camera gear and a water bottle.

Was considering the LowePro Nature Trekker AW II as it looks like it will fit the bill. And whilst not 100% waterproof like the dry zone range seems pretty well equiped for a downpoor or snow.

Needs to hold:
Canon 1DS MKIII w/ RRS L Bracket
70-200 F2.8L IS
16-35mm F2.8L
300mm F2.8L
45mm TSE or 24mm TSE [havent decided which to take yet]
Some grad filters and general accessories.

My LowePro Mini AW is just to small to put everything in  - I would have to leave the 300mm at home and I really want to have it with me. So I definately need a new bag.

Would appreciate any comments or other reccomendations on which bag to get. And as a side note.. if anyone would reccomend any lens's not in my arsenal for this trip.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 07:00:55 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

rqg

• http://www.bravefrog.com.au
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 09:14:15 am »

I need a new backpack for a 5 day photographic trip to Cradle mountain in Tasmania. I will be staying on location in a small hut and treking out daily from there - returning at night. So it only has to carry my camera gear and a water bottle.

Was considering the LowePro Nature Trekker AW II as it looks like it will fit the bill. And whilst not 100% waterproof like the dry zone range seems pretty well equiped for a downpoor or snow.

Needs to hold:
70-200 F2.8L IS
16-35mm F2.8L
300mm F2.8L

My LowePro Mini AW is just to small to put everything in  - I would have to leave the 300mm at home and I really want to have it with me. So I definately need a new bag.

Would appreciate any comments or other reccomendations on which bag to get. And as a side note.. if anyone would reccomend any lens's not in my arsenal for this trip.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are plenty of similar bags from LowePro, Tamrac, Tenba et al, but my first choice these days is [a href=\"http://www.thinktankphoto.com/]Think Tank Photo[/url]. I like the way they don't look like camera bags; much easier for air travel.

I know the gear listed above would fit into my Airport Acceleration  easily. Josh, send me a PM if you'd like to check it out.

Robert
Melbourne, Australia

dalethorn

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 04:21:07 pm »

My favorites are the Billingham bags, assuming you can find the right size. They also make the shooting jackets.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 04:33:37 pm »

I like Kata but there is no way that stuff would fit in the one I have.  My tenba failed along the big zipper so I don't recommend them.  Didn't even stress the tenba much.  (Also didn't fit well.)  The lowepro stuff would work fine for your needs.  Not a fan of how they fit, however.

Jonathan Ratzlaff

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 04:42:39 pm »

I looked at a Dakine photopack (Sequence) the other day.  Room for camera equipment but also a lot of room for other stuff like clothing and food; all a required part of a photographic outing.
check it out here; http://www.dakine.com/bike/photo-packs/sequence/

It looked like it would carry the amount of stuff you are listing and be comfortable to carry for a day of hiking.

Jonathan

Marlyn

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 06:50:55 pm »

I currently use a Think Tank Airport Acceleration, and all that will fit in it nicely.
  (Replace MK III with a 5D, and that looks exactly like my Gear currently)

A Mk III will fit where the 5D is, have tested it alread.

The only issue I'd see is that its not really a trecking backpack, in that it dosn't have a fully padded wasit belt, but it does work very well for airline travel, and seems to pack a lot of kit very nicely.

As an example of how much it will carry, all of the following is sitting in that bag right now.
 - Canon 5D with RRS L Bracket
 - 300mm f2.8, with lens hood
 - 16-35 f2.8
 - 24-105 f4
 - 70-200 f2.8 IS  (Attached to the 5D)
 - 24mm TS-E
 - 1.4 Teleconverter
 - 2.0 Teleconverter
 - Wimberly Sidekick
 - 580EX Flash
 - Better Beamer
 - Lee Polarizer, ND Grad, Lens hood/filter holder and adapter rings
 - Drop in Polariser for the 300mm
 - RRS Pano plate
 - Cable Release (Timer)
 - 77mm Circular Polariser
 - Hotshoe Spirit Level
 - Cleaning Cloths
 - Spray Bottle of ZEIS lens cleaner
 - Arctic-Butterfly Sensor Brush
 - Canon Right angle viewfinder
 - Spare Battery for 5D
 - Penlight flashlight
 - Magnetic Compass
 - Sony portable GPS tracker.

I then attach my lightweight 213CX Induro Tripid with Acra-tech Ball head and leveling plate to the outside of the pack with the built in tripod straps. It goes on the left side, so you can still open it.

(Note: When going for a walk, some time I remove lenses just to make it lighter, and when I Fly, everything that can go into checked luggage does, just to make it lighter. I.e. Lens Hoods, Filters, brackets, etc. I fly with Lenses & Camera, and a Domke photo-vest.  This has worked very well both internally in Australia, and Internationaly.

The bag comes with a removeable Laptop pouch, that slips into an elastic sleeve at the front. This way your not carryign any excess padding for the laptop if you dont' want to.  Also the Backpack straps pack away behind the shoulder pads) very neatly for airlines and cars.

The only real issue I have is the belt. Its removeable which is good, but its also not a nice padded belt for walking.   I wish I was able to fit the ThinkTank belt system belt to the backpack, then it would be perfect. (I've tried, and it sort-of works. Going to look into it a bit more and see if it can be done better.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark.

francois

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 04:08:32 am »

Needs to hold:
70-200 F2.8L IS
16-35mm F2.8L
300mm F2.8L

I'm using a Nature Trekker AW. It's a good bag and it will hold all your equipment but I don't find the suspension system very comfortable. I feel like it's OK for one day or so.

Try to find a local store with that bag. Load it with all your stuff. Spend an hour or two roaming in the store and see how it feels.

I also found the Nature Trekker AW to be rain resisitant to a degree only. On my last trip to Iceland, I got water (not wet but completely soaked) inside the bag in less than 45 minutes and I had the rain cover on the bag...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:08:58 am by francois »
Francois

sojournerphoto

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:56:46 am »

I'm looking out for a new rucksac type bag to carry a couple of bodies, a few lenses and food/water on treks. My concerns are that I also want to carry a Gitzo 3530GT with head and enough food water for a day out. Having spent many years carrying rucsacs I like a decent harness.

Can anyone comment on how you manage tripods in these situations.

Thanks

Mike

Josh-H

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:47:48 am »

I'm looking out for a new rucksac type bag to carry a couple of bodies, a few lenses and food/water on treks. My concerns are that I also want to carry a Gitzo 3530GT with head and enough food water for a day out. Having spent many years carrying rucsacs I like a decent harness.

Can anyone comment on how you manage tripods in these situations.

Thanks

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good point - I neglected to mention the Gitzo tripod I will also be carrying - the same 3530 with a RRS BH55 Ball head.

Part of what attracted me to the nature trekker is the ability to strap the tripod to either side or the back.

I will also sus out the other options mentioned above as I had not considered any of those.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Peter Frahm

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:34:22 am »

I second the Think Tank Airport Acceleration. I looked at a bunch of different bags for a month and it was a no brainer as far as versatility. It does a remarkable job of being everything you want and holds quite a bit of crap. It has a facility for monopod or tripod lugging. Side sleeve for a leg with a strap up top to secure...not sure how big that particular gitzo is but I can't imagine your hauling a biggy heavy around.

I wish they had provided closure on the computer sleeve, that was a dumb leave out. whatever.

That's about it, this thing is great and it has very nice seam sealed raincover for it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:35:27 am by Peter Frahm »

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 05:55:05 pm »

Good point - I neglected to mention the Gitzo tripod I will also be carrying - the same 3530 with a RRS BH55 Ball head.

Part of what attracted me to the nature trekker is the ability to strap the tripod to either side or the back.

I will also sus out the other options mentioned above as I had not considered any of those.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190955\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I still vote strongly for Lowe-Pro's Trekker series. I'm still using a Photo Trekker AW I bought at least 6 years ago. It has held up to heavy use with no visible wear. It carries my Eos-1Ds mk III + Kirk L-bracket, 70-200 f:2.8 IS, 24-70 f:2.8, 16-35 f:2.8, 100-400 IS, 180 f:3.5 macro, spare batteries and assorted sundries. I can wear it hiking all day and find the harness system very comfortable, once you adjust it to fit properly.

For what it's worth, I feel pretty strongly that any tripod solid and stable enough to support such a heavy rig won't be compact or light enough to comfortably carry on the backpack, unless you bunji the thing underneath the pack. I (briefly) used a Manfrotto 441 carbon fiber tripod because it fit nicely in the tripod carrier on the pack, but it was just too top-heavy with 6+ lbs. of camera and lens mounted. I moved to a Hakuba (Velbon) 830, and I'm happy to carry it over my shoulder while hiking.

Josh-H

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 01:47:40 am »

Thanks all - I ended up with the LowePro Nature Trekker AWII- which arrived today via fedex - 3 days from the USA! Local Australian price was $469 [so imported one from the USA for $160 US + $100 freight. Still way ahead of the local price.

Very happy with the nature trekker so far - everything fits with room to spare. True test of course will be in the field.

I can strap my Gitzo carbon to the side - it makes putting the pack down a little awkward - but small price to pay for carrying around such a stable tripod.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up