Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Matching Headache!  (Read 9144 times)

jrdigiart

• http://
Color Matching Headache!
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 04:06:53 pm »

Thanks for the info Mel (?).  It's starting to sink in that this is an "inexact" science... unless you've been doing this for a long time.  I'm trying to absorb all the great info everyone has posted and sort out what works best for me... I'm sure there will be a lot more questions!!

- Joe

melgross

Color Matching Headache!
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 07:20:13 pm »

Thanks for the info Mel (?).  It's starting to sink in that this is an "inexact" science... unless you've been doing this for a long time.  I'm trying to absorb all the great info everyone has posted and sort out what works best for me... I'm sure there will be a lot more questions!!

- Joe
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191458\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ask away!

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
Color Matching Headache!
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 12:53:32 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla,Apr 22 2008, 04:53 AM
Do not replace the Mac versus Window myth on Gamma with a CRT versus LCD myth on Gamma.
Ernst Dinkla

hi,
Didn,t even know the myth existed. I stand corrected. Perhaps you could explain what gamma I should use and why, for my crt, that is.

Thank in advance, Ivan

melgross

Color Matching Headache!
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 04:33:29 pm »

Quote from: ivan muller,May 1 2008, 12:53 PM
Quote from: Ernst Dinkla,Apr 22 2008, 04:53 AM
Do not replace the Mac versus Window myth on Gamma with a CRT versus LCD myth on Gamma.
Ernst Dinkla

hi,
Didn,t even know the myth existed. I stand corrected. Perhaps you could explain what gamma I should use and why, for my crt, that is.

Thank in advance, Ivan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Today, a Gamma of 2.2 is accepted as the standard for photography, and 24 bit graphics.

But, for print, 1.8 is still the standard.

You do need to know what your work is being purposed for.

If you are printing to a photo quality printer, then use 2.2.

But, if it's going to a printing company for "4 color" output, it's likely 1.8.

If you soft proof, you should call the printer first. No one can tell you what the needs are across the, uh, spectrum, of output.

Some printing companies even now, require CMYK files, which you really don't want to give them if you can at all help it.

So, most assumptions call for 24 bit Adobe(1998) RGB files, corrected on a monitor set to 6500k at Gamma 2.2 (calibrated, properly), viewed on a D50 box (not 5000k bulbs in your ceiling, or lamp!!!). But you can't count on that for every circumstance.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Color Matching Headache!
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 10:02:10 am »

Erik,

Thanks for your reply! 

I print from Photoshop CS3.  In the printing dialogue box, the rendering intent is set to relative colorimetric and the printer is set to manage color. Should this be set to No Color Management?

I embed my images with the Adobe RGB (1998) profile... but are you saying that this profile should be removed before printing?

The printer profiles (for each different paper type) are created in the Z3100, so I'm pretty sure they are correct.

The tutorial sounds good and I'm definitely going to check it out.

- Joe
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190736\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The profiles you create are to be applied in Photoshop with Photoshop manages color. Printer manages color will use canned profiles, not the ones you created for the printer. The help guide should show this clearly, but maybe it doesn't. You don't have to strip out profiles at all, in fact you shouldn't. IF you are printing from Photoshop you really should use Photoshop manages color, then select the media profile you need. You can use perceptual or relative.
You'll find a movie on my mac.com site on using Application managed color and ICC profiles.

Oh yes, in the driver you must in this case choose Application manages color, if not it will double profile.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up