Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost of Camera Raw  (Read 29629 times)

KeithR

Cost of Camera Raw
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:04:51 am »

I recently purchased, downloaded and have been enjoying the Camera Raw tutorial. Nice work, by the way!
But this morning as I checked my bank statement, I was distressed to see that I was charged more for the download than what was listed! It is clearly marked on the page that the price is in U.S. Dollars! Has anyone else taken a look at was actually charged? This is not listed as pending on my statement, but rather as what was charged few days ago. When I purchased the tutorial and agreed to the cost, it is with the understanding that what is posted as the cost in US dollars is what would be charged to my account and not any more. This is most disconcerning
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

wtlloyd

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:33:36 am »

I was charged 39.95, the listed price.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:35:05 am by wtlloyd »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:45:27 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same here.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DarkPenguin

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 10:51:55 am »

Ditto.

KeithR

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 10:54:36 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just checked with my bank, and was informed that the $39.95 was correct on the date that I ordered but the merchant then submitted the amount as $40.74. I know that it is only $0.79 but I want to know why the change. The receipt I received from LL lists $39.95(in US Dollars). When this first appeared(15 April) as a pending charge, it was listed at $39.95. When I checked today is when I noticed the discrepancy.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 11:36:39 am »

If you paid in a currency other than US dollars (your bank account is based in euros, for example), then the card issuer will charge you a fee to convert from your currency to US dollars. L-L will charge the stated amount in dollars, but the charge you actually pay will be slightly higher due to the fee. The conversion fee is not always listed as a separate charge.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 12:05:11 pm »

Keith, I have checked your credit card receipt and it says the right amount - $39.95.
So any additional charge is something your bank must have added - I would take it up with them
Chris S

KeithR

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 12:27:19 pm »

Keith, I have checked your credit card receipt and it says the right amount - $39.95.
So any additional charge is something your bank must have added - I would take it up with them
Chris S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190621\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did. They stated that the merchant submitted the extra. As I stated, the receipt I received from LL states $39.95. The bank has initiated a request from the merchant to get this corrected.

KeithR

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 12:28:31 pm »

If you paid in a currency other than US dollars (your bank account is based in euros, for example), then the card issuer will charge you a fee to convert from your currency to US dollars. L-L will charge the stated amount in dollars, but the charge you actually pay will be slightly higher due to the fee. The conversion fee is not always listed as a separate charge.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Last time I checked, Minnesota was still part of the union

DarkPenguin

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 02:27:23 pm »

Last time I checked, Minnesota was still part of the union
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you sure they didn't change that after the 84 presidential election?

wtlloyd

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 05:20:37 pm »

Chris - reading these posts, I just did a double take at your avatar....in a quick qlance, it looks like Boba Fett  

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 10:07:41 pm »

I did. They stated that the merchant submitted the extra. As I stated, the receipt I received from LL states $39.95. The bank has initiated a request from the merchant to get this corrected.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190627\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Very strange... the extra 0.79 is definitely not from us - and I am the merchant....
I have heard of something like this on one previous occasion where the card-issuing institution added a charge because the merchant is in Canada - possibly the case here?
I will enquire from our end. Please drop Customer Service an email re this:  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:09:27 pm by Chrissand »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 10:24:50 pm »

Not sure if this helps..

But as a regular purchaser of goods and services from the USA [I live in Australia] I often see very small surcharges show up on my AMEX or VISA - but they are always charges the bank levies and not the merchant - They are usually listed as 'foreign currency conversion fees', sometimes just as 'fee' and sometimes they are not named, but just included in the overall transaction. These small fees are not exchange rate conversions - they are fees the bank puts on the transaction for conversion over and above any exchange rate variation. They may also be fees levied by a foreign country bank for dealing with an international merchant. This is not the fault of the merchant and its out of their control - its the bank.

Hence some e-commerce websites now have in their T&C's an explanatory note to this effect that they are not responsible for fees levied by oversees banks on top of the normal transaction amount.

I have never had a problem with anything from the LL store however. The fees for currency conversion [not just the exchange rate] have always been listed seperatley by AMEX and VISA. And as above - these are fees levied by the banks - not the merchants.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:30:35 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

KeithR

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 11:27:31 am »

Not sure if this helps..

But as a regular purchaser of goods and services from the USA [I live in Australia] I often see very small surcharges show up on my AMEX or VISA - but they are always charges the bank levies and not the merchant - They are usually listed as 'foreign currency conversion fees', sometimes just as 'fee' and sometimes they are not named, but just included in the overall transaction. These small fees are not exchange rate conversions - they are fees the bank puts on the transaction for conversion over and above any exchange rate variation. They may also be fees levied by a foreign country bank for dealing with an international merchant. This is not the fault of the merchant and its out of their control - its the bank.

Hence some e-commerce websites now have in their T&C's an explanatory note to this effect that they are not responsible for fees levied by oversees banks on top of the normal transaction amount.

I have never had a problem with anything from the LL store however. The fees for currency conversion [not just the exchange rate] have always been listed seperatley by AMEX and VISA. And as above - these are fees levied by the banks - not the merchants.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190711\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Just be clear on this. I live in the USA. Minnesota to be exact. The sale is in US Dollars. Others from Minnesota have stated that they were not over charged. Others also have stated that they were not over charged. The reciept I was emailed stated $39.95 I use a debit card for purchases such as these and can check balances on a daily basis(which I do). The day after I placed the order, it was listed as a pending transaction of $39.95. When it was officially posted, it was listed as $40.74 When I contacted the bank, I was told that the charge was originally posted at $39.95, but the merchant(I believe this is a company handling these transactions for LL)placed the amount at $40.74. I also have not had any problem in my orders from LL so I am also puzzled as to what happened.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 12:35:24 pm »

Some entity in the transaction chain between LL and you added in the extra fee, most likely erroneously.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 07:18:24 pm »

I have checked with Internet Secure - our credit card clearing house.They do not add any charge to the Customer (only to us   ).
However they say that certain card issuers, notably under the Mastercard brand, but now increasingly Visa, add an additional charge to US account holders who make 'foreign' purchases. And we are oh so foreign.
So despite using $US as the currency, so that there is no add-on fee for currency conversion, these guys (the banks) figure they can soup up the charge because we are 10 miles to the North of the border. Sounds like 'Banking As Usual' to me  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 07:37:11 pm by Chrissand »

KeithR

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 08:52:49 pm »

I have checked with Internet Secure - our credit card clearing house.They do not add any charge to the Customer (only to us   ).
However they say that certain card issuers, notably Mastercard, but now increasingly Visa, add an additional charge to US account holders who make 'foreign' purchases. And we are oh so foreign.
So despite using $US as the currency, so that there is no add-on fee for currency conversion, these guys figure they can soup up the charge because we are 10 miles to the North of the border. Sounds like 'Banking As Usual' to me 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191084\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you for checking. I have, again, contacted my bank, and they are sending out paperwork as I am disputing the charge. In the meantime, to those that stated they were charged correctly(from within the US), is that based on the the email receipt from LL or from checking your bank statement? I'm courious as to if this is an isolated fubar.

DarkPenguin

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 09:07:55 pm »

Thank you for checking. I have, again, contacted my bank, and they are sending out paperwork as I am disputing the charge. In the meantime, to those that stated they were charged correctly(from within the US), is that based on the the email receipt from LL or from checking your bank statement? I'm courious as to if this is an isolated fubar.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I called visa.  $39.95.

Richowens

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 10:18:27 pm »

My bank statement states $14.95 for LLVJ17. That's on a Mastercard debit card.

KeithR

Cost of Camera Raw
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 09:40:54 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Happy to report that the bank saw the error of their accounting.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up