Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6  (Read 16168 times)

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:22:09 am »

One week ago I tried leaf afi6 from the leaf dealer Beijing, yesterday I tried sinar hy6 with emotion 75 from the sinar dealer Beijing. Both leaf and sinar claim that the cameras which I tried are not final products, thus still have some problems.

Below is some of my experience/conclusion{I won't compare the IQ because they are 22mp vs 33mp } :

Leaf:
1.Af sucks. Doesn't work at all when focus at some dark/low contrast scene. I forgot if the Autofocus aidlights was working.
2.The preview IQ is not that good as I expected.
3.I tried the LC11, it looks good and give me an excellent result, but it really need time to be familiar with it. Personally I like the interface of ACR/C4 much more, I dont even need to go through the manual before I can get a stunning tiff with ACR/C4.
4.Battery case seems to be made roughly, I cant even close it...when working there is still a big gap between the cap and case. However remember this is not the final product.

Sinar:
1.Af excellent.Quick and  efficient. I'm shocked when I focus it{I tried both leaf and sinar indoor, with EV3-7}. As far as I know both camera are same at hardware, but why such a big difference for the af system?? I noticed that the Autofocus aidlights is working for the sinar hy6, but I really cant remember for the afi if it works...
2.Horrible Lcd.I just cant believe it! Why Sinar put such a crap on a 20k$ product?? Is it a joke? btw I dont like the interface too.
3.DNG supported, this is really a big issue. I can use c4/ACR for it, and I did-excellent result.
4.Same problem on battery case as leaf afi.

Both hy6/afi have an excellent ergonomics design, which is a way better than mamiya afd/contax/hallel v series. The function of the camera is great, even better than 6008af. It's easy to use, I just grab it and minutes later I know how to use all its excenllent functions, like trap focus.

Finally, Leaf distributor here in China provide a much better service than Sinar. Before I got to try afi, I receive lots of calls from both leaf and their dealer, after I tried it, they call me too. But for Sinar, they said they will contact me when the camera arrived Beijing half a month ago, then I got no message from them until I call them yesterday afternoon, I asked when will the camera arrive, they said it's already been in Beijing for nearly a week, if I want to try it, I should go to their company right now or the camera would go to the west of China hours later...

oh I forgot the biggest issue about leaf. the HOT wind, yes, the HOT wind. I always use the wl finder, and I always put my head up the camera when I work, thus the hot wind from the DB is blowing straightly to my face. Personally I really cant stand that, I am easy to sweat, with leaf back I will have to wipe my face every few minutes in summer...I cant imagine that...

BTW I wrote this just as my PERSONAL feeling, I hope it is useful to some of you. If my article offend either Leaf or Sinar's men, or the proud owner of either brand I'm really sorry.

-Dustblue
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:09:36 pm by dustblue »

Graham Mitchell

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:33:58 am »

Are they using prototypes as demo units? They Hy6 is in production and you shouldn't have problems like that. The AF should be identical on both. Sounds like something was wrong with the Leaf. Old firmware? Or maybe a pre-production unit?

dustblue

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 08:38:26 am »

Both of them are pre-production unit. I'm wondering why too.

Are they using prototypes as demo units? They Hy6 is in production and you shouldn't have problems like that. The AF should be identical on both. Sounds like something was wrong with the Leaf. Old firmware? Or maybe a pre-production unit?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190577\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 08:54:55 am »

NO, there is not a single pre-production unit out with our dealers!

There have been, LAST YEAR about 5 pre-production units traveling around the world: ALL HAVE COME BACK since ages.

ALL our distributors have their production units. Period.

Now to what you have seen and report here:

- the autofocus IS excellent on this camera: if any makes another experience, then I guess something went the wrong way. I cannot imagine differently.
- display: the OLED (not LCD) you have seen is not what we are delivering right now with the eMotion 75 backs: a 2.5" display, since this has been released a couple of days ago. However, what you have seen is certainly a display which was not set correctly: the brightness can be set from 1 to 5 and you have probably seen it set on 1. I will speak to our distributor about this.
- battery case: I have to check this out with our distributor, since I have not experienced such with my demo unit, in the contrary: it is smooth, fast and easy to open/close and take out or place in the battery.
- service of our distributor: I can't comment here and yet, since I don't have all the elements to speak. But I know our distributor to be serious and efficient: Actually, you have experienced it 2 weeks ago, Dustblue, when I was in contact with you via PM: they have contacted you within 1/2 hour. So let me check out what happens before my jumping to a conclusion.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Both of them are pre-production unit. I'm wondering why too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:11:32 am by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

dustblue

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

Yes I was impressed, really, and Sinar give me a good impression that time. but service should be long term and stable. What I experenced is just service BEFORE sales, more important part is AFTER sale service which I cant comment.

What annoy me is that the distributor here didn't redeem their promise. This is about honesty which I always considered seriously when I choose a high-pay service.

- service of our distributor: I can't comment here and yet, since I don't have all the elements to speak. But I know our distributor to be serious and efficient: Actually, you have experienced it 2 weeks ago, Dustblue, when I was in contact with you via PM: they have contacted you within 1/2 hour. So let me check out what happens before my jumping to a conclusion.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thsinar

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:06:44 am »

Dustblue,

I shall come back to you, as soon as I have spoken with Mr. Hugh Wong and got his feedback. I do understand your disappointment for them not having called back, since I feel the same in such a case. I know also that PSC has a very good service and that they are serious, however, I do believe your experience and wish to sort this out with them.

Leave me some time for this, since am flying to Switzerland tomorrow night until Monday.

Best regards,
Thierry

Yes I was impressed, really, and Sinar give me a good impression that time. but service should be long term and stable. What I experenced is just service BEFORE sales, more important part is AFTER sale service which I cant comment.

What annoy me is that the distributor here didn't redeem their promise. This is about honesty which I always considered seriously when I choose a high-pay service.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

dustblue

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 10:14:28 am »

Thierry:

Sorry to bother you about this:) I do believe Sinar has a good service, maybe the problem is just a mistake.If not, how to improve management maybe considered.

Dustblue,

I shall come back to you, as soon as I have spoken with Mr. Hugh Wong and got his feedback. I do understand your disappointment for them not having called back, since I feel the same in such a case. I know also that PSC has a very good service and that they are serious, however, I do believe your experience and wish to sort this out with them.

Leave me some time for this, since am flying to Switzerland tomorrow night until Monday.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190594\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thsinar

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 10:22:03 am »

You don't bother me, Dustblue.

I believe that it is a mistake, since I believe that Mr. Wong was not in Beijing last week, and may be it was one of their employes. It is not an excuse however, and should be improved, you're right.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry:

Sorry to bother you about this:) I do believe Sinar has a good service, maybe the problem is just a mistake.If not, how to improve management maybe considered.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190597\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 10:53:19 am »

You don't bother me, Dustblue.

I believe that it is a mistake, since I believe that Mr. Wong was not in Beijing last week, and may be it was one of their employes. It is not an excuse however, and should be improved, you're right.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dustblue:

Very interesting that you found the GUI of the Aptus complex. I consider it one of the most impressive developments from Leaf ever. You have the ability to do far more in camera than with any other MFDB, and yet it is so simple to operate. This could have been a disaster - many functions, touch screen, but instead it is elegant, fast, and seamless. Nearly everyone I show it to is very impressed at the Aptus GUI.  I'm curious if there was something in particular that you found complicated?

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

dustblue

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 11:34:32 am »

I think the on camera/DB set should be simple and accurate, without drawing a lot of intention, especially when on location. Leaf's GUI is great, for some aspect, e.g. it's very creative, very powerful. But it's not convenient, at least to me. If it's operated by buttons, we can set it even blindly, without search and locate my finger on the screen. For instance, after I shoot one photo--especially when on location, which has a complex light condition--I always want to check the histogram, surely I want to check it with just a click, but not a search on the screen. This may be just ONE second difference, but it cost.

I think put some buttons on the side should be great.

Dustblue:

Very interesting that you found the GUI of the Aptus complex. I consider it one of the most impressive developments from Leaf ever. You have the ability to do far more in camera than with any other MFDB, and yet it is so simple to operate. This could have been a disaster - many functions, touch screen, but instead it is elegant, fast, and seamless. Nearly everyone I show it to is very impressed at the Aptus GUI.  I'm curious if there was something in particular that you found complicated?

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190609\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:36:22 pm »

I think the on camera/DB set should be simple and accurate, without drawing a lot of intention, especially when on location. Leaf's GUI is great, for some aspect, e.g. it's very creative, very powerful. But it's not convenient, at least to me. If it's operated by buttons, we can set it even blindly, without search and locate my finger on the screen. For instance, after I shoot one photo--especially when on location, which has a complex light condition--I always want to check the histogram, surely I want to check it with just a click, but not a search on the screen. This may be just ONE second difference, but it cost.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dustblue:

That is exactly one of the strengths of the Aptus GUI. Taking your example, you can check the histogram easily just by clicking the "user thumbwheel" located on the upper right on the Aptus. You can do this without looking, it's right there. Also, you can just leave the histogram visable if you like and all following shots will show it. I believe this is how the Aptus comes out of the box by default. Dial forward to see the histogram, or dial back to easily scroll through images on the LCD.

But that "user thumbwheel" can also be programmed for any number of instantly accessible functions - whatever you prefer. This is an example of the elegance of the system, and perhaps with some more time and experience this would have been a plus for you rather than a minus.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

dustblue

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 01:08:25 pm »

wow, I didn't know that! the leaf dealer in beijing didn't mention that thumbwheel at all! thank you for your info. so it's really not a good idea to just use it for 2 hours and then make the dicision.I'll delete the GUI part of my article.

Dustblue:

That is exactly one of the strengths of the Aptus GUI. Taking your example, you can check the histogram easily just by clicking the "user thumbwheel" located on the upper right on the Aptus. You can do this without looking, it's right there. Also, you can just leave the histogram visable if you like and all following shots will show it. I believe this is how the Aptus comes out of the box by default. Dial forward to see the histogram, or dial back to easily scroll through images on the LCD.

But that "user thumbwheel" can also be programmed for any number of instantly accessible functions - whatever you prefer. This is an example of the elegance of the system, and perhaps with some more time and experience this would have been a plus for you rather than a minus.

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190629\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:14:13 pm by dustblue »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 01:09:12 pm »

Dustblue:

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190629\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree that the Aptus has the most intuitive interface of any camera I've used and the ability to click white balance and lock it into the back is just off the scale good.  

What Leaf needs to do is 1. source a much better lcd (this holds true for all medium format) and 2. make it so the lcd on the back will operate while tethered.

The Aptus is so close to being great, then things like #2 just break your brains when your working fast.

Everybody that shoots medium format for commerce will eventually tether, maybe not all the time, but since all medium format lcd's are challanged, for really complex lighting you need to see a good representation of an image so that requires a computer.

It can wear you out runing back and forth between camera and computer looking to see an image, even if you just want to see if somebody moving fast does not have their head cropped off, or is in focus.

In changing light your always yelling over to the tech, uh, go to 100, no now try 200 iso, no, back to 100, where this should be a photogrpaher enbabled function, tethered or not.

Once tethered the Aptus loses it's value of that great interface and your stuck running every function from the computer.

JR

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 02:22:15 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The histogram is probably the thing I miss most of not working with the Aptus anymore. It is big, very well visible even in the channels and it can be had on the screen after any shot without having to click a button or by clicking the wheel-like button on the side.

Man... I would be so happy if my Hasselblad would have a histogram like the Aptus (there are some other things as well as there are things that I wished my Leaf would have when I still used the Leaf ).

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 06:09:50 pm »

The histogram is probably the thing I miss most of not working with the Aptus anymore. It is big, very well visible even in the channels and it can be had on the screen after any shot without having to click a button or by clicking the wheel-like button on the side.

Man... I would be so happy if my Hasselblad would have a histogram like the Aptus (there are some other things as well as there are things that I wished my Leaf would have when I still used the Leaf ).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190644\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The other thing that I miss since working with the Aptus ( here in the US ) is the really amazing
customer and technical service offered by Leaf America.

It is extremely simple (and I am not sure why the other back manufacturers don't have the same support model)....you call Rick Adshead @ Leaf technical and whatever the problem, it is addressed in a professional and prompt manner. I think this is his only job.........to take care of the existing customers' issues and questions. Keep in mind digital backs are evolving creatures: not all problems are solveable for all clients.

All back manufacturers have some sort of a swap warranty.......and between the dealer and the manufacturer most issues are solvable.
I am not trying to bust anyones chops...
On the contrary, I have had very good service experiences with the backs I have used from Phase,Leaf & Sinar........most of the people involved in this industry really go the extra mile!

I just think that the structure that Leaf has implemented works well for the existing customer.
In addition to solving issues and problems, it allows a dialog to occur between the user and the manufacturer's representative........in the long term it builds a trust and may be brand loyalty.

Other manufacturers use a sort of outdated model of contacting the dealer, dealer determines
if problem needs to be addressed by manufacturer, then it is addressed by the manufacturer.

Why should I have to bother my dealer who is probably in the middle of a sales pitch about an
issue that could be dealt with by the manufacturer's rep much more effeciently?

If there are issues or questions, the manufacturer should address them in a direct manner without
having to go through older established business structures that are not in the consumers'
best interest or convenience............we as photographers (independent business people) are having to constantly modify or adjust the way we run our businesses to the ambient climate.

A streamlined Customer service should be viewed as a marketing opportunity by the manufacturer to the existing clients as well as the potential new buyers
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:49:41 pm by Prakash Patel »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 03:23:28 am »

I totally agree with you. I am not sure who is the Rick Adshead in Europe or if there is one. I simply emailed him with questions and got answered the same day (mostly), with solutions I might add.

This is something every manufacturer should implement.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 03:25:23 am by Dustbak »

BJNY

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 06:15:33 pm »

I hope to see the 90º finder tomorrow at Leaf's Open House at Shoot Digital here in NYC.
I'll report back if I discover anything else interesting.
Guillermo

BJNY

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 05:07:47 pm »

The 90º finder did NOT make an appearance.

The heft and weight of the 180mm 2.8 AFD did NOT flex the the grip/handle.
Autofocus was very quick, but a bit noisy like early Nikon AF.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:52:50 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 05:45:49 pm »

The 90º finder did NOT make an experience. ???????????????

Please explain.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:46:25 pm by rethmeier »
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

BJNY

Leaf AFI vs Sinar hy6
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 05:52:17 pm »

Oops...correction made:
90º finder did not make an appearance.

I believe Thierry said F&H going to manufacture now or soon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:56:26 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up