Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Balancing RGB channels on LCD monitor  (Read 2519 times)

Harrzack

Balancing RGB channels on LCD monitor
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:17:10 pm »

I'm trying to profile/calibrate a Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD monitor with ColorMunki, and not getting the best results. A test B/W gradient shows banding and some cyan-magenta casts. I also needed to push the Brightness control to zero, and the Munki still wanted it to go lower... didn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling!

The monitor does have access to it's RGB channels, but the Munki does not provide any way to help adjust them. It is my feeling that PRIOR to profiling a monitor, the profiling system should allow a calibration or "linearization" of the unit. I've also heard that the only real adjustment on an LCD monitor is the brightness and contrast of the backlight. If so, what did they bother putting access to the RBG channels on this unit? Just a sales gimmick?

A contact in Switzerland is using this monitor and set it up with his "...trusty X-Rite DTP94". And was able to get very excellent results, and was able to linearize it.

It appears the Monaco Optix XR Pro is the same as the DTP94. I'm considering returning the ColorMunki (and losing the print profile capability for now), and getting an XR Pro. I can live with factory profiles for the Epson 3800, but would like to get this monitor tuned up as good as it can get.  I on OS X 10.4.11 with a Radeon 9600 XT vid card.

Two questions:

A: Is it a correct concept that the RGB channels should used to set the LCD to produce a neutral gray before starting any profile?

B: Does the Monaco OPtix XR Pro provide a way to linearize the RGB channels before beginning the profile cycle?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Balancing RGB channels on LCD monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 05:47:48 am »

If you are going to do the gradient test, the you need to do it with a document specifically *created* *in monitor profile space* Some banding and gradient color reversals are unavoidable except with the monitors that have internal LUTs. Which  is why people pay a lot more for these special devices.

One doesn't linearize an LCD prior to calibration, the most one sometimes does is adjust the brightness up or down a bit prior to calibration.

My own take is that the ColorMunki is very nice hardware, but experts should wait for some third party software for monitors - monitor profiling software from Xrite has never made me happy, while the print software is usually good. The real advantage of the ColorMunki is that as it's a spectro rather than a colorimeter it's fairly future proof - the Optix won't necessarily play well with the next generation of wide gamut monitors.  

You should post this query to the Colorsync mailing list.

Edmund

I'm trying to profile/calibrate a Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD monitor with ColorMunki, and not getting the best results. A test B/W gradient shows banding and some cyan-magenta casts. I also needed to push the Brightness control to zero, and the Munki still wanted it to go lower... didn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling!

The monitor does have access to it's RGB channels, but the Munki does not provide any way to help adjust them. It is my feeling that PRIOR to profiling a monitor, the profiling system should allow a calibration or "linearization" of the unit. I've also heard that the only real adjustment on an LCD monitor is the brightness and contrast of the backlight. If so, what did they bother putting access to the RBG channels on this unit? Just a sales gimmick?

A contact in Switzerland is using this monitor and set it up with his "...trusty X-Rite DTP94". And was able to get very excellent results, and was able to linearize it.

It appears the Monaco Optix XR Pro is the same as the DTP94. I'm considering returning the ColorMunki (and losing the print profile capability for now), and getting an XR Pro. I can live with factory profiles for the Epson 3800, but would like to get this monitor tuned up as good as it can get.  I on OS X 10.4.11 with a Radeon 9600 XT vid card.

Two questions:

A: Is it a correct concept that the RGB channels should used to set the LCD to produce a neutral gray before starting any profile?

B: Does the Monaco OPtix XR Pro provide a way to linearize the RGB channels before beginning the profile cycle?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 05:48:30 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up