Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicoutimi & Quebec city photo advice  (Read 7186 times)

Khurram

Chicoutimi & Quebec city photo advice
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:02:31 pm »

I have another business trip to Chicoutimi in August, for which i will most likely need to fly to Quebec City and then drive to Chicoutimi.

I've been to Montreal a lot over the last 10-15 years, but have never been anywhere else in Quebec.  

I just wanted to get some advice on if there are any good landscape photo locations in the Chicoutimi area. I will be there for two weeks in mid-August and orignally thought i would spend the weekend in between my trip in Montreal, but thougth I'd try to find out if there are any good landscpe photo ops in the Chicoutimi area.  

I also thought i might go a bit early to spend a night or two in Quebec City before or after my trip, so i'd also appreciate some advice on the can't miss photo op's in Quebec City.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 04:47:12 pm »

Well, it's been 38 years since I lived in the woods outside of Bagotville (near Chicoutimi) and in Chicoutimi Nord, so things might have changed a little.  It's Laurentian Shield country, so if you like rocks and trees you'll find a lot of them.  Chicoutimi is at the confluence of the Saguenay and Chicoutimi rivers, so there's lot's of water too.  Chicoutimi used to be a big pulp and paper area, but over the years it has shifted more into tourism.  It's a fairly large urban centre for the area.  Back about 12 years ago there was a massive flood in the area but the city has since been rebuilt.  I imagine there are traces of the flood still around.  You might also want to take a trip to the 'Baie de Ha Ha', just to be able to say you've been there.

There's a military air museum at the Bagotville Air Force base (3 Wing) if that interests you.  When I lived there the jets took off so close to our house that the windows rattled every time.

Mike.

P.S.  I assume you're aware that English isn't going to be in common use up there.  It's not like Montreal or even Quebec city.
If your mind is attuned t

AndyF2

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:59:47 pm »

Here's a quick runthrough of some what you'll go by.  There are certainly other places along the route that may worth stopping at, depending on your time and interests.  The more scenic route is 138 along the river, then 170 up to Chicoutimi.  Not 175 cutting directly inland towards C.  Fly along the route in GoogleEarth low enough, and visit any cluster of photo dots to see what might be there

In Quebec City, touristic views along the board walk beside Chateau Frontenac and Plains of Abraham and looking down into Lowertown.

Visit Lowertown (walk 10 minutes down the steep road from the Chateau, then a wide set of stairs descending on your right.  Good restaurants there and the street immediately below that, and impressive view back up to the illuminated Chateau at night.

Leaving Quebec City along Hwy 138 (Boulevard St. Anne), pass the MontMorency Falls.  Heavily commercialized.  Better when they were wild.

A bit after Hwy 360 branches off (to Mont St. Anne ski hill), continuing along Hwy 138, les Sept Chutes.  Photos on GoogleEarth.  A medium-small river that drops in seven step and old hydroelectric plant.  The cluster of photos are slightly above the Sept. Chutes red dot, not right at that location.  Hey, I just noticed another cluster a bit south along the river, in the area somewhat enclosed by the early part of hwy 360 and hwy 138, the Canyon St. Anne.  Now I need to go there myself.

Baie St. Paul (small town) - pretty; as you descend the steep hwy towards the valley, the road into the town is a right turn before the last straight part of the descent.  Otherwise you remain on 138 and bypass the town.   Galleries along an art street perpendicular to the "main" st, near the church.  Speaking of descents and hills, don't rent a subcompact.

Back on the road.  Have you noticed that the landscape is basically green?  Limited variety of trees, mostly evergreens.  However there are churches everywhere.  Most of the highway will have views of the irregular hilly terrain, with some side roads getting you closer to overviews of the St. Lawrence.

La Malbaie; nice town, large bay, more of a simply commercial area than Baie St. Paul.

Across the bridge, continuing along 138.  Within a few minutes, on the inland side, the Cabot Gardens, one of the most impressive private gardens in Canada.  Google with cabot, garden, quebec, charlevoix.  One hit is http://www.etpanorama.com/Cabot_Garden_dem...rden_Intro.html another is http://www.cepas.qc.ca/jardin.php  Open to the public on a few days each month.  Arrange your schedule accordingly.  Perhaps look up the book "a greater perfection" on Amazon.

St. Simeon; you can head inland on hwy 170 up to Chicoutimi, or continue to Tadousac, cross the ferry, have lunch again, then head up 172.  Seems to be more access to the Saguenay by going up 170.  Closer to Tadousac you'll encounter many whale watching outfits.  The whale population varies each year, last year there were few.  Belugas, minkes, fin, and others.  If you're only expecting to be there once, may as well take 170 one direction and 172 the other direction, so you do go through Tadousac and it's views, plus the brief ferry ride.

Along 170, take a detour to L'Anse St. Jean and out to it's wharf for a view of the Saguenay.  Or maybe at the next cluster of photo dots, at Baie Eternite.  Visit one of those to see the size of the river, and the fjiord walls.  The river is enormously deep.

You should find boat tours of the Saguenay starting from Chicoutimi, which will give another perspective of the fjiord.

Hope you have good weather!
Andy

Khurram

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 03:22:11 pm »

Well, it's been 38 years since I lived in the woods outside of Bagotville (near Chicoutimi) and in Chicoutimi Nord, so things might have changed a little.  It's Laurentian Shield country, so if you like rocks and trees you'll find a lot of them.  Chicoutimi is at the confluence of the Saguenay and Chicoutimi rivers, so there's lot's of water too.  Chicoutimi used to be a big pulp and paper area, but over the years it has shifted more into tourism.  It's a fairly large urban centre for the area.  Back about 12 years ago there was a massive flood in the area but the city has since been rebuilt.  I imagine there are traces of the flood still around.  You might also want to take a trip to the 'Baie de Ha Ha', just to be able to say you've been there.

There's a military air museum at the Bagotville Air Force base (3 Wing) if that interests you.  When I lived there the jets took off so close to our house that the windows rattled every time.

Mike.

P.S.  I assume you're aware that English isn't going to be in common use up there.  It's not like Montreal or even Quebec city.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the suggesions Mike!  I realize language may be an issue - I just know enough french to follow a habs game on RDS.   but i've got to be out there for work anyways, which may be more of a challenge, as i'll have someone translating all of the documents i've got to review, so the liesure part of trip should be better!
----

Khurram

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:28:35 pm »

Here's a quick runthrough of some what you'll go by.  There are certainly other places along the route that may worth stopping at, depending on your time and interests.  The more scenic route is 138 along the river, then 170 up to Chicoutimi.  Not 175 cutting directly inland towards C.  Fly along the route in GoogleEarth low enough, and visit any cluster of photo dots to see what might be there

In Quebec City, touristic views along the board walk beside Chateau Frontenac and Plains of Abraham and looking down into Lowertown.

Visit Lowertown (walk 10 minutes down the steep road from the Chateau, then a wide set of stairs descending on your right.  Good restaurants there and the street immediately below that, and impressive view back up to the illuminated Chateau at night.

Leaving Quebec City along Hwy 138 (Boulevard St. Anne), pass the MontMorency Falls.  Heavily commercialized.  Better when they were wild.

A bit after Hwy 360 branches off (to Mont St. Anne ski hill), continuing along Hwy 138, les Sept Chutes.  Photos on GoogleEarth.  A medium-small river that drops in seven step and old hydroelectric plant.  The cluster of photos are slightly above the Sept. Chutes red dot, not right at that location.  Hey, I just noticed another cluster a bit south along the river, in the area somewhat enclosed by the early part of hwy 360 and hwy 138, the Canyon St. Anne.  Now I need to go there myself.

Baie St. Paul (small town) - pretty; as you descend the steep hwy towards the valley, the road into the town is a right turn before the last straight part of the descent.  Otherwise you remain on 138 and bypass the town.   Galleries along an art street perpendicular to the "main" st, near the church.  Speaking of descents and hills, don't rent a subcompact.

Back on the road.  Have you noticed that the landscape is basically green?  Limited variety of trees, mostly evergreens.  However there are churches everywhere.  Most of the highway will have views of the irregular hilly terrain, with some side roads getting you closer to overviews of the St. Lawrence.

La Malbaie; nice town, large bay, more of a simply commercial area than Baie St. Paul.

Across the bridge, continuing along 138.  Within a few minutes, on the inland side, the Cabot Gardens, one of the most impressive private gardens in Canada.  Google with cabot, garden, quebec, charlevoix.  One hit is http://www.etpanorama.com/Cabot_Garden_dem...rden_Intro.html another is http://www.cepas.qc.ca/jardin.php  Open to the public on a few days each month.  Arrange your schedule accordingly.  Perhaps look up the book "a greater perfection" on Amazon.

St. Simeon; you can head inland on hwy 170 up to Chicoutimi, or continue to Tadousac, cross the ferry, have lunch again, then head up 172.  Seems to be more access to the Saguenay by going up 170.  Closer to Tadousac you'll encounter many whale watching outfits.  The whale population varies each year, last year there were few.  Belugas, minkes, fin, and others.  If you're only expecting to be there once, may as well take 170 one direction and 172 the other direction, so you do go through Tadousac and it's views, plus the brief ferry ride.

Along 170, take a detour to L'Anse St. Jean and out to it's wharf for a view of the Saguenay.  Or maybe at the next cluster of photo dots, at Baie Eternite.  Visit one of those to see the size of the river, and the fjiord walls.  The river is enormously deep.

You should find boat tours of the Saguenay starting from Chicoutimi, which will give another perspective of the fjiord.

Hope you have good weather!
Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190536\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Andy!  I appreciate all of the suggestions and the amount of detail you proided.  a quick google of the Cabot gardens, Saguenay and Tadousac definately looks like they are worth seeing and i'm going to see if i can set aside two days for Quebec city.
----

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 04:58:57 pm »

I realize language may be an issue - I just know enough French to follow a habs game on RDS. but i've got to be out there for work anyways, which may be more of a challenge, as i'll have someone translating all of the documents i've got to review, so the leisure part of trip should be better!

When I first moved to Quebec in 1967, I didn't speak a word of French.  The first friend I made didn't speak a word of English.  We got along fine.  There was a lot of pointing and gesticulation, but we made things work.  I was back in Quebec in 1980 when doing some work for Environment Canada (that was the year of the Referendum, and driving around with truck that said 'Evironment Canada, with a little Canadian flag on it arguably wasn't a good idea), and was amazed by the number of people in restaurants and the like who all but demanded that the waitresses speak English to them.  And if they don't understand you, speak LOUDER, because that always works.  I did a lot of translating back then.

I'm still not completely bilingual, but in my experience, any attempt at communication, faltering as it may be - when combined with respect - will be met more than half way.  People are people wherever you go.

Mike.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:59:36 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

erictoddjohnson

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 04:33:31 pm »

If you want a good cityscape location, take the ferry across the river to Levis - about a 10-minute ride, and a good location to catch the city skyline, particularly at sunrise.   On the Levis side, walk east from the ferry dock and you'll see a stairway leading to the top of the cliff.   That makes a good vantage point to get  a high view of the view the city.  

Enjoy!

Eric Johnson

Tam

• http://
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 08:26:11 pm »

I wanted to point out that, as this summer is the celebration of the 400th year since the founding, the city of Québec will be jammed to the rafters. If you haven't already made reservations do not hesitate a moment longer.

Have a wonderful time in the city. It is splendid!
Pages: [1]   Go Up