Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple profiles created on HP Z3100?  (Read 2061 times)

dalex

Multiple profiles created on HP Z3100?
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:06:05 pm »

I've noticed that when I profile a paper, and I set a name for the profile that's different from the default name, two profiles end up being created.

So, for example, if the HP profiling software suggests a name for my profile like this:

HP Designjet Z3100, Hahnemuhle William Turner

and I change the name to:

HPZ3100-Hahnemuhle William Turner

I end up getting two profiles added:

If I use both profiles to soft proof in PS, they are different!

Does anyone know why two profiles are generated, and why they would be different?

My guess is that maybe the profile with the "standard" name (ie, the HP default) is created after the initial calibration, and the second is created after the actual profiling.

Thanks.

David

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:50:48 pm »

Hmmm.

Good point; that does appear to be the case. I have named all the profiles I built starting with the world "custom", because that way they're all grouped together in the drop-down profile list in Photoshop & I don't have to waste time scrolling down to find them. I just use the profile I know I made, and all is well.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 04:45:01 pm »

I
I end up getting two profiles added:

If I use both profiles to soft proof in PS, they are different!

Does anyone know why two profiles are generated, and why they would be different?

My guess is that maybe the profile with the "standard" name (ie, the HP default) is created after the initial calibration, and the second is created after the actual profiling.

Thanks.

David
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You mean a kind of virtual name used internally for the calibration phase gets a real life.

There's the other possibility that the non-GE + GE process happens like with gloss paper profiling. A bug of course for matte papers.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:44:58 am »

That wasn't the case all along. Before two profiles were created for photo type papers, one being the chosen GE on or off , then a faux assumed profile of which there is the opposite of the GE choice.

If this is happening on a non photo media then it is a bug in the software.

I always created custom profiles with the name including what package, and GE on or off.
The faux profiles are not very accurate compared to the ones that are made with the actual settings.\

PS the GE on matte media has no influence even if you do trick it into printing onto matte. It is invisisble, has no color, and no density difference. No value then for printing on matte.

dalex

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 02:30:21 pm »

I plan to ignore the profiles with the HP default name.

I'm not sure if it's related to GE on matte papers (though who knows), because if I use the default profile name, only one profile is created.

Maybe I'll log a bug with HP, see what they say.
Pages: [1]   Go Up