Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some help with Photoshop CS3 & ACR  (Read 12343 times)

mnoble

Need some help with Photoshop CS3 & ACR
« on: April 18, 2008, 06:56:30 am »

Yesterday I bought Scott Kelby's book, "Photoshop CS3 for Photographers." I like his books and style of teaching. In the section that deals with Adobe Camera RAW, he goes into the Detail section and addresses sharpening in ACR.

The controls that are shown and described in the book include Amount, Clarity, Radius, and Masking - just like in Adobe Lightroom. However, in my Photoshop CS3 (bought last week) there is only one slider for Sharpening - that's it. I checked and my version is the latest. I even installed a Patch and the newest ACR plug-in.

So, I am wondering what's up. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

01af

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:26:48 am »

The controls [for sharpening in ACR] that are shown and described in the book include Amount, Clarity, Radius, and Masking ...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190354\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Actually, ACR's sharpening controls are Amount, Radius, Detail, and Masking (in that order from top to bottom).

Photoshop CS3 (bought last week) there is only one slider for Sharpening - that's it. I checked and my version is the latest.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190354\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
A freshly installed Photoshop will incorporate ACR 4.0 which does not yet have the latest sharpening features; they got introduced with ACR 4.1. The current ACR version is 4.4.1.

I even installed a Patch and the newest ACR plug-in.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190354\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Most likely, you failed to follow the installation instructions for the ACR plug-in properly.

-- Olaf

mnoble

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:09:01 am »

Actually, ACR's sharpening controls are Amount, Radius, Detail, and Masking (in that order from top to bottom).
A freshly installed Photoshop will incorporate ACR 4.0 which does not yet have the latest sharpening features; they got introduced with ACR 4.1. The current ACR version is 4.4.1.
Most likely, you failed to follow the installation instructions for the ACR plug-in properly.

-- Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190360\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Olaf. I checked on the Plug-in and it is in the correct Plug-in Folder. But I did notice something peculiar. While there is only one Camera Raw Plug-in (4.4.1), under the Help Menu in CS3, in About Plug-In, there are two Camera Raw Plug-ins listed. One is 4.0, and one is the newest 4.4.1. I cannot find the 4.0 version. When I placed the updated Plug-In in the File Format folder, there wasn't any other Camera Raw plug-in.

So this is a mystery. I looked through all the Plug-In folders for the older Camera Raw plug-in and cannot find it.  

francois

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:36:16 am »

Thanks, Olaf. I checked on the Plug-in and it is in the correct Plug-in Folder. But I did notice something peculiar. While there is only one Camera Raw Plug-in (4.4.1), under the Help Menu in CS3, in About Plug-In, there are two Camera Raw Plug-ins listed. One is 4.0, and one is the newest 4.4.1. I cannot find the 4.0 version. When I placed the updated Plug-In in the File Format folder, there wasn't any other Camera Raw plug-in.

So this is a mystery. I looked through all the Plug-In folders for the older Camera Raw plug-in and cannot find it. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You can check which version of the plug-in is active. Go to Photoshop > About Plug-in… > Camera Raw. If the version says 4.4.1, you have the latest version. If it's not the case, you probably missed something when you installed the update.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:37:10 am by francois »
Francois

mnoble

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 12:19:50 pm »

You can check which version of the plug-in is active. Go to Photoshop > About Plug-in… > Camera Raw. If the version says 4.4.1, you have the latest version. If it's not the case, you probably missed something when you installed the update.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I checked the version. The problem is that there are TWO versions listed. The newest one and the 4.0 version! Although I do not see the 4.0 version in the plug-in folders anywhere.

A new twist to report however. I usually open my RAW files from Bridge by double-clicking. However, this morning I opened a RAW file directly from Photoshop and it opened into the newest version. So I had the Clarity slider and the complete sharpening tools. Also, I realized that if I am in Bridge and RIGHT-click on the RAW file, I can select "Open with Photoshop" and, again, it opens into the newest version. But double-clicking in Bridge opens the older version of Camera Raw. Can't figure that one out!

sniper

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 02:54:04 pm »

I found 2 in my version as well, in Windows they seem to be here.

Program Files\Adobe|Photoshop CS3\Plug-ins\File Formats

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats
I have no idea why theres 2.    Wayne

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 05:02:13 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190453\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The _ONLY_ way that the plug-in could get there is if you put it there...the normal install will only lace the plug-in in Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

That's the only place where both Bridge AND Photoshop can access the same version.

KeithR

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 05:39:41 pm »

I have no idea why theres 2.    Wayne
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190453\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As Mr Schewe as pointed out the correct location is as he stated. My guess is that the Adobe instructions were not followed.

From the Adobe download instructions(pay attention to #5):

4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as in step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Bridge.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

01af

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 06:06:25 pm »

Thanks, Olaf. I checked on the Plug-in and it is in the correct Plug-in Folder.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Obviously not.

-- Olaf

sniper

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 06:14:32 am »

I didn't put the update in the wrong place, I know where it's supposed to go, the update in the filters plug-in must have been there from install (or copied over for some reason)  Thats why I posted BOTH paths.  Wayne

ejmartin

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 08:37:59 am »

I didn't put the update in the wrong place, I know where it's supposed to go, the update in the filters plug-in must have been there from install (or copied over for some reason)  Thats why I posted BOTH paths.  Wayne
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190572\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Instead of trying to put the updated ACR manually in the proper place, why not go to launch CS3 and go to the Help menu, click Updates... and let the autoupdate routine do the proper installation automatically?
emil

mnoble

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 09:44:54 am »

As Mr Schewe as pointed out the correct location is as he stated. My guess is that the Adobe instructions were not followed.

From the Adobe download instructions(pay attention to #5):

4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as in step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Bridge.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190484\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have to back up Mr. Schewe. I also followed the instructions to the letter. When I opened the File Formats folder within the Plug-ins folder I did not see a previous version of Camera RAW. I was a bit surprised at this but it just wasn't there. When I dragged the new version in I got no dialog asking my if I wanted to replace a previous version. I still have two Camera Raw versions listed in About Plug-Ins. Sounds weird, but it is the truth. The fact that two of us have the same problem should hint at a bug somewhere.

KeithR

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 10:33:58 am »

I have to back up Mr. Schewe. I also followed the instructions to the letter. When I opened the File Formats folder within the Plug-ins folder I did not see a previous version of Camera RAW. I was a bit surprised at this but it just wasn't there. When I dragged the new version in I got no dialog asking my if I wanted to replace a previous version. I still have two Camera Raw versions listed in About Plug-Ins. Sounds weird, but it is the truth. The fact that two of us have the same problem should hint at a bug somewhere.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"When I opened the File Formats folder within the Plug-ins folder I did not see a previous version of Camera RAW. I was a bit surprised at this but it just wasn't there."

And following the IN-CORRECT path,
Program Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats
you would not see the plug in folder because that is not where it would be.
I would suspect that at some previous upgrade, you may have inadvertently forgot to include \COMMON FILES\ in your path and added the upgrade when you got to FILE FORMATS.

"..I got no dialog asking my if I wanted to replace a previous version."

No where in the instructions from Adobe does it state that you will asked this or that there even be a prompt. The instructions do state to "Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location".

As Mr. Schewe stated, it could only be in the wrong area if YOU placed it there. If it were a bug, others would have had a similar problem, but I don't recall reading any posts about this.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:57:39 am by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

sniper

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 10:38:08 am »

Instead of trying to put the updated ACR manually in the proper place, why not go to launch CS3 and go to the Help menu, click Updates... and let the autoupdate routine do the proper installation automatically?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190578\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because the update process (like Adobes website) sucks, it only works half the time.  Wayne

Schewe

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 02:16:36 pm »

I didn't put the update in the wrong place
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190572\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes....you did. There's no way the Adobe Updater could have put Camera Raw inside of any Photoshop plug-in folder. The _ONLY_ way would have been for you or somebody else sitting at your machine to have put it there...

The _ONLY_ correct location that will allow both Bridge and Photoshop to use Camera Raw is: Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

ANY plug-in placed in the Photoshop folder's series of plug-in folders will be invisible to Bridge. Hence the reason why Photoshop was seeing 4.4.1 and Bridge wasn't–you had placed the plug-in in the wrong location.

mnoble

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 02:43:25 pm »

Yes....you did. There's no way the Adobe Updater could have put Camera Raw inside of any Photoshop plug-in folder. The _ONLY_ way would have been for you or somebody else sitting at your machine to have put it there...

The _ONLY_ correct location that will allow both Bridge and Photoshop to use Camera Raw is: Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

ANY plug-in placed in the Photoshop folder's series of plug-in folders will be invisible to Bridge. Hence the reason why Photoshop was seeing 4.4.1 and Bridge wasn't–you had placed the plug-in in the wrong location.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So explain why if I double-click in Bridge my image opens into an older version of ACR and when I open directly from Photoshop (CS3), or, in Bridge, when I right-click and select Open With Photoshop,  it opens into the newest version of ACR. I want to hear this.

Schewe

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 02:54:07 pm »

So explain why if I double-click in Bridge my image opens into an older version of ACR and when I open directly from Photoshop (CS3), or, in Bridge, when I right-click and select Open With Photoshop,  it opens into the newest version of ACR. I want to hear this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190649\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because you have an older version of Camera Raw installed in the correct place but a newer version of Camera Raw installed in the WRONG place inside of the Photoshop plug-ins folder. Thus, you have two plug-ins and depending on where Camera Raw is called from, either the right or the wrong version gets called. So, get rid of the incorrectly installed version and install the most recent update in the correct location: Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Really, it's pretty easy if you take care and follow instructions...

Doug Herrick

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 11:58:33 pm »

I too have a problem with ACR. I have checked and re-checked it's installation, I know it's in the right place. What happens to me is that Bridge won't recognize it. When I try to open ACR from Bridge it launches PS3 which then opens ACR. Everything had been working fine until I bought a new computer, reinstalled PS3, that's when the problems began. My card reader no longer finds Bridge on it's own and there are a number of Filters that don't appear in PS3 (Artistic, Brush Strokes, Pixelate, Stretch & Texture). I've removed PS3 and then re-installed, re-downloaded the ARC plug-in to no avail. It's getting frustrating. This is on a Windows XP platform.

Anyone got any ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up