Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help me decide horseman swd vs cambo wds  (Read 4637 times)

michaelnotar

Please help me decide horseman swd vs cambo wds
« on: April 18, 2008, 02:20:28 am »

i am really torn between these two systems, please help me decide, would like to know what have been your experiences with each. heres my main points

the cambo wds: pros-geared movements, cons more expenses, lenses terribly more expensive (even the same lens, the sch 24xl is available in both systems and is $1500 more, about 45% more on the cambo system).

horseman sdwII pros- cheaper (10% less and VF is included), smaller, built just as good, lenses are reasonable and about half of any wds lens. cons-manual movements (not sure how big of a deal this is why movements you cant even see).

also how does the sch digital glass rate vs rod digitars and their HR series. Rod seems great and at reasonably prices with large image circles, sch lenses are almost as expensive as the HR series and have about the same image circle, but are they up to par to the HRs?

many thanks
michael

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 03:43:23 am »

Michael,
there is tons of info about those lenses etc. on this forum.
A search would be handy for you.
Best,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

bryanyc

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 11:35:23 am »

If you are not in a rush to purchase and you are thinking of shooting digital only with the camera then I would suggest thinking about the upcoming cambo rs (see extensive thread on this camera which is 3 months out).

pixjohn

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:00:44 pm »

A less expensive way is to maybe buy a 24xl lens and send it to cambo to mount. I had my 58xl mounted for the cambo wide, and that was about $1000. How much is the Horseman 24xl? That seems like a big price difference.

michaelnotar

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 08:22:48 pm »

hi would you elaborate on the process of sending it in? did you mail it to a USA factory or the international one? i assume you just bought the lens w/copal shutter and they supplied the board, focus mount and mount service for the $1000...? because without the service those 2 items are like $700 total.

Sch 24 on wds on calumet is 4700, 3500 from bh photo for the h-sdw.

A less expensive way is to maybe buy a 24xl lens and send it to cambo to mount. I had my 58xl mounted for the cambo wide, and that was about $1000. How much is the Horseman 24xl? That seems like a big price difference.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pixjohn

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:37:49 pm »

I was converting my film 58xl to work with my Cambo DS. I had the lens sent to cambo by Calumet in LA. I just looked up what I paid, and it was just under $1000 including tax. I know Cambo mounted the lens then sent the lens to Schneider to calibrate then returned the lens to LA.  I wanted to just buy a Rodenstock 60, but Cambo was to busy trying to figure out if they could mount the lens.

I would call Brad at Calumet in LA, tell him you already own a 24xl  on another system and what would Cambo Charge to remount?  $2400 lens plus $1000 = $3400.00. Calumet price $4700.

I also know you can buy the focus mounts from schneider directly and maybe have Cambo just mount the lens on the board.

hi would you elaborate on the process of sending it in? did you mail it to a USA factory or the international one? i assume you just bought the lens w/copal shutter and they supplied the board, focus mount and mount service for the $1000...? because without the service those 2 items are like $700 total.

Sch 24 on wds on calumet is 4700, 3500 from bh photo for the h-sdw.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up