Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya AFD II + P30 RF: need advice  (Read 4108 times)

R_Medvid

• http://kadru.net
Mamiya AFD II + P30 RF: need advice
« on: April 17, 2008, 04:28:40 pm »

Hi all,

I'm about to enter into the MFDB stuff with the AFD II and P30 RF (refurbished). I read a lot of info in the web but still would appreciate if I have any extra advice. My questions are:

1. AFD vs AFD II: is it worth to pay extra for the II version?

2. Are you happy with the noise at, say, 200 ISO?

3. How fast / slow is this kit? One shot per ... sec?

4. Is x1.3 crop bothering anybody?

5. Is shooting tethered comfortable?

6. Any good experience of shooting subjects / still-life with extension tubes with some other lens besides 120mm Macro lens?

I'm currently using Canon 5D and shoot mainly people (models / actors) or subjects for commercial advertising.

Thanks a lot!
Roman Medvid
Mamiya AFD / P40+
http://kadru.net

Snook

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:53:22 pm »

Hi all,

I'm about to enter into the MFDB stuff with the AFD II and P30 RF (refurbished). I read a lot of info in the web but still would appreciate if I have any extra advice. My questions are:

6. Any good experience of shooting subjects / still-life with extension tubes with some other lens besides 120mm Macro lens?

I'm currently using Canon 5D and shoot mainly people (models / actors) or subjects for commercial advertising.

Thanks a lot!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have no complaints at all..
It is a lot slower than Canon which I also use when needed.
As far as I know the AFDII is the way to go and the one I have.
Only been shooting the P30 at 100 iso and never used the Canon more than that either.
There is a BIG difference in quality to me (coming from 5D and 1dSMII)
But I still reach fro the Canon on many occasions as it is easier to use in a lot of situations.
But portrait,advertising etc.. all go with the P30 now for sure.
The detail is way better "to me"
Just had a couple of clients this week actually called me just to tell how incredible my "new" files are..
I could not believe it as I thought not many would noticed, but they are.
I drive through town and I can tell which campaigns are shot with MFDB and which are not.
There is a difference.
I have not shot the 1DsMIII but can only imagine it is really similar to the 1DsMII and not that much of an improvement to upgrade.
Good luck they are pretty darn cheap now a days... keep you eye out for a good deal.
Snook

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:26:10 pm »

Hi all,

Thanks a lot!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You will have to get used to the slower auto focus on the Mamiya.  It is quite a bit slower than the Canon's focus system, but when you see the nice sharp detail from the P30... it's worth it!  The P30 will also have much more dynamic range over your 5D.

I own a 5D myself and love it for what it does, but like any camera, it plays a certain role for different types of shooting.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

rgold1963

• http://www.rongoldmanphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 05:30:15 pm »

"4. Is x1.3 crop bothering anybody?"
Not really. I installed the viewfinder mask and find that I now barely notice the area outside the crop lines.

"6. Any good experience of shooting subjects / still-life with extension tubes with some other lens besides 120mm Macro lens?"

I have tried the extension tubes on the 55-110mm and the 105-210mm. The AF doesn't work with any of the tubes or lenses for some reason but it's not a big deal because I like to manual focus for close up work anyway. AF confirmation still works if you happen to be focusing where the focus point is.

I am shooting with an AFDII and P30+. Yes, it is slower than my Canon gear but for what I am shooting most of the time, it's not a problem. I rarely find myself reaching for the Canon first and it's usually only if I need the speed or am shooting in bad weather. I still haven't been comfortable shooting with the P30+ in the rain!
I have shot up to 800 iso with excellent results as long as the image is not underexposed. I really don't find it any worse than the Canon 1DMKII for noise in the shadows.

TMARK

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 07:34:25 pm »

I have two afd cams. I had an afd2 in the past and will say the 2 is worth the extra $ if for no other reason than the focus on button being thumb activated.  The p30+ can shoot just fine at 800.  Don't know about the plain old p30. I agree that the noise from the p30+ is just like the 1ds2. The from does bother me, but only because I still shoot a bunch of film and get used to the full viewfinder. The crop is then a let down. As to speed, well, I shoot pretty slowly and find that its a little slow even for me. The P30 is slower than my +. Tethered shooting is flawless.

R_Medvid

• http://kadru.net
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:13:31 am »

Dear all,

Thanks for your feedback. Now have bigger picture.

1. I still don't have a true sense of the speed of this back. Besides shooting with Canon 5D I often shoot with a rent H1D + P25 combo. If tethered it takes 2-3 seconds for an image to get displayed on the monitor of a notebook.

I also used H3D once for a outdoor shoot. I'm comfortable with the speed of these tools.

On the other hand, once I tested Mamiya ZD digital back and the speed of the file transfer from it to the laptop was about 12 (!) sec. This UNspeed is not acceptable for me.

So where would you place P30 in between P25 and Mamiya ZD?

2. I also hear about some problems of P30 when shooting close-up objects at apertures 16 and smaller. What is the specific issue and what are the ways to get around it? Basically, I want to be sure that I can shoot close-up object (say, a cup of coffee or a pen) totally sharp at the whole length at f/22 or f/32.

Can anyone make this clear?

Many thanks.

Roman
Roman Medvid
Mamiya AFD / P40+
http://kadru.net

olaf

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:25:35 am »

Hi
You do know that there is an AFD3 due to be launched in the Summer? Prices of the AFD2 are bound to drop. You could be better off hiring for a few months. I'm sure you know this but just thought I'd mention it.

Re: your specific latest questions, I can't help as most of my work is outdoors. But I do have the AFD2/P30+ and am very happy with the quality. Definitely superior to the excellent 5D which I also own, like so many others here. Good luck with your decision.
Olaf

Dear all,

Thanks for your feedback. Now have bigger picture.

1. I still don't have a true sense of the speed of this back. Besides shooting with Canon 5D I often shoot with a rent H1D + P25 combo. If tethered it takes 2-3 seconds for an image to get displayed on the monitor of a notebook.

I also used H3D once for a outdoor shoot. I'm comfortable with the speed of these tools.

On the other hand, once I tested Mamiya ZD digital back and the speed of the file transfer from it to the laptop was about 12 (!) sec. This UNspeed is not acceptable for me.

So where would you place P30 in between P25 and Mamiya ZD?

2. I also hear about some problems of P30 when shooting close-up objects at apertures 16 and smaller. What is the specific issue and what are the ways to get around it? Basically, I want to be sure that I can shoot close-up object (say, a cup of coffee or a pen) totally sharp at the whole length at f/22 or f/32.

Can anyone make this clear?

Many thanks.
Roman
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190405\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

geronimo13

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 05:34:18 pm »

Hi
You do know that there is an AFD3 due to be launched in the Summer? Prices of the AFD2 are bound to drop. You could be better off hiring for a few months. I'm sure you know this but just thought I'd mention it.

Re: your specific latest questions, I can't help as most of my work is outdoors. But I do have the AFD2/P30+ and am very happy with the quality. Definitely superior to the excellent 5D which I also own, like so many others here. Good luck with your decision.
Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190411\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

U guys that shoot alot with the AFD outdoors, doesn't the 125 sync bother you?

TMARK

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 07:57:03 pm »

U guys that shoot alot with the AFD outdoors, doesn't the 125 sync bother you?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the 1/125 sync issue with the afd is over blown.  For the three times over the past three years I shot outside in bright sun, with strobes, and 1/125 wouldn't cut it, I rented an RZ Pro2D.  One time I rented an H2/A75.  If I shot like this alot I'd buy an RZ Pro2D used for a grand, which is less, far less, than the price differential between an H kit and an afd kit.

The flip side, and the question I never hear anyone asking blad users, is: "U guys that shoot alot with the H1/2/3 outdoors, doesn't the 800 max shutter bother you?"

The 1/4000 on the afd comes in handy dandy when shooting at 2.8, ISO 100, outside.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 10:43:01 pm »

Here is document from Phase One showing you the standard P backs specs.  You can see that the P30 shoots about 1.3 fps.

[attachment=6197:attachment]

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

geronimo13

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 04:59:18 am »

I think the 1/125 sync issue with the afd is over blown.  For the three times over the past three years I shot outside in bright sun, with strobes, and 1/125 wouldn't cut it, I rented an RZ Pro2D.  One time I rented an H2/A75.  If I shot like this alot I'd buy an RZ Pro2D used for a grand, which is less, far less, than the price differential between an H kit and an afd kit.

The flip side, and the question I never hear anyone asking blad users, is: "U guys that shoot alot with the H1/2/3 outdoors, doesn't the 800 max shutter bother you?"

The 1/4000 on the afd comes in handy dandy when shooting at 2.8, ISO 100, outside.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190513\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Will the same lenses fit?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 05:32:14 am »

Do the + backs go faster if one compresses the files ?

Edmund

Here is document from Phase One showing you the standard P backs specs.  You can see that the P30 shoots about 1.3 fps.
[attachment=6197:attachment]

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up