Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 day trip from Raleigh to Toronto  (Read 9260 times)

VidJa

3 day trip from Raleigh to Toronto
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:55:43 pm »

Hi all,

In July I have the opportunity to travel by car from Raleigh, North Carolina to Toronto in a timespan of about three days. (about 800 Miles, so plenty of time).

Since I live in Europe this is a one time opportunity to do some landscape shooting in places I will probably not be able to visit likely in the future.

Besides the obvious and unavoidable Niagara falls, could you recommend nice locations for landscape photography? I will have gps navigation and since I will travel alone  I do not object against a substantial detour.
Any thoughts?

--
'The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.'
http://www.vidja-photography.net

JMCP

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:52:27 pm »

Hi,

I spent a few weeks in Raleigh a few years ago with work and I went out to the beaches at Wilmington, about 1.5 hours drive away, I thought they were absolutely beautiful and I was kicking myself for not having my camera with me, the place is full of Pelicans, they fly by in their dozens regularly and some even hang around the piers looking for scraps from the tourists. Its a plce I cetainly would love to go and visit again.

cheers John

Hi all,

In July I have the opportunity to travel by car from Raleigh, North Carolina to Toronto in a timespan of about three days. (about 800 Miles, so plenty of time).

Since I live in Europe this is a one time opportunity to do some landscape shooting in places I will probably not be able to visit likely in the future.

Besides the obvious and unavoidable Niagara falls, could you recommend nice locations for landscape photography? I will have gps navigation and since I will travel alone  I do not object against a substantial detour.
Any thoughts?

--
'The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.'
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189752\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dalethorn

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:29:38 pm »

Try to get to some of the areas around Gatlinburg Tenn. If you can, West Virginia has some amazing 'scapes, central and South. The rivers around Pittsburgh are nice. I really miss the breathtaking view of the CN tower before the cluster of bldgs around it destroyed the view. Some of the edges of Lake Erie have great views - don't know about Lake Ontario.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:36:09 pm »

1) Shenandoah Valley along western edge of Virginia. Route I-81 runs up the valley, with lots of scenic side roads branching off. This time of year the dogwood and redbud are starting to bloom, and some hillsides will be a sea of pink blossoms. Route 211 from New Market to Luray runs through numerous stands of redbud, with lots of beautiful farm scenery, and Massanutten mountain looms to the west.

2) Southeastern portion of West Virginia. Just across the border from route I-81 and Harrisonburg Virginia. This area has spectacular Appalachian scenery, and includes Seneca Rocks/Spruce Knob recreation areas as well as Canaan valley and Blackwater Falls state parks. Again, the timing depends on the weather, but this time of year there may be lots of dogwood and redbud in bloom, together with the most beautiful scenery east of the Mississippi. And no people! On weekdays you can find yourself hiking Spruce Knob, highest point in West Virginia, and you may be the only person on the mountain.

3) State parks in the Finger Lakes region of western New York State. This includes numerous dramatic gorges including the Genesee river at Letchworth State Park. Stony Brook and Watkins Glen State Parks have more intimate gorges with trails you can hike way back in.

Attached are photos from Spruce Knob and Letchworth.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:37:12 pm by Geoff Wittig »

VidJa

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 02:12:44 pm »

thanks guys, you are wonderfull. I wil spend a few days to plan ahead with your suggestions.

dilip

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:04:52 pm »

Once you cross the border, and brave the hordes for the obligatory shot of the falls, you'd be well served to follow the Niagara escarpment for a while.  It is essentially a ribbon of hard rock that runs up from the falls.  It's not the most direct route to Toronto, but doesn't take you too far afield. Beautiful nature and landscape opportunities.

In and around Toronto also provides a good amount of urban landscapes, some of which is well documented on this site.

--dilip

tsjanik

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:43:19 pm »

When you are at Niagara Falls, take the time to hike into the gorge which is downstream from the falls.  Ask for directions when there.  You can go down on the American or Canadian side; both great but different, if only one side, I prefer the latter.  For me, the gorge is more impressive than the falls itself.

Wally

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 11:03:13 pm »

when you get into Virginia get on I-81 North until you get to the town of Harrisonburg then take Route 33 east into West Virginia this is a very scenic drive with many pull offs and great vistas without the crowds you will find along Skyland Drive or the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Once into West Virginia stay on Route 33 until you get to the town of Harman and turn right onto Route 32 North. In the town of Davis West Virginia is a place called Blackwater Falls State Park. If you are into water falls this is a MUST SEE. There are dozens of water falls in the park. There is also a very nice lodge with modest priced hotel rooms and a restaurant

http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/

I have been there many times, my favorite set of falls is right behind the lodge along Shay's Run. The advantage of Blackwater is that there is usually good water here in the summer when many of the other falls along the Blue Ridge are quite low or even dry.

From there continue on Rte 32 north until it turns into 219 North and head into Maryland. If you time and you like water falls you can make a quick stop at Swallow Falls State Park just outside of Oakland Maryland. There are 4 nice waterfalls there that are a very short walk from the parking lot. From Oakland continue up 219 North until you get to 42 North and take that to I-68 West which will take you back into West Virginia. Take I-68 to Morgantown until you get to I-79 North. Stay on I-79 north and cross into Pennsylvania you will pass Pittsburgh.

If you have time there is nice state park on Exit 99 to the north of Pittsburgh called McConnells Mill State Park. There is a very nice covered bridge there over a very nice creek. There are also several nice waterfalls there but they are a bit of a hike. You could turn off the highway take some hots of the bridge and be back on the highway in a half hour while the waterfalls would take 2-3 hours.

Keep on heading up I-79 until you get to I-90 in Erie, Pennsylvania. Take I-90 east towards Buffalo just before you get to New York State on the other side of Erie you will come to the town of North East Pennsylvania. Take Exit 41 which is Route 89 and take it north towards the town of North East. Route 89 will turn into Lake Street and then turn into Freeport Road. It ends at a "T" with Route 5. Take route 5 east towards Buffalo. The drive along route 5 is very nice as it runs right along Lake Erie. Lake Erie is one of the Great Lakes and is so large it looks like the Ocean as you can not see the land on the other side. This is wine country and there are many vineyards with the lake as a back drop that make for awesome landscapes. In the town of Westfield NY just beyond North Portage Street you will come to a large marina and a large public dock. There are often nice boats here on the water. There is also a nice sandy beach and very high cliffs along the North Side. All of these make for great shots and this is a great place for sunsets as you get a westerly view of the water and can see the sun dip below the horizon.

Beyond Westfield you can continue along Route 5 or head back over to I-90 by taking North Portage Street. I-90 in New York State is called the Thru-Way and is a toll road. Take I-90 up to Buffalo New York and follow the signs to Niagara Falls. On the American Side of the Falls that state of New York has a very nice State Park that is a lot more natural than the Canadian Side. Take the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls and follow the signs to the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) which will take you to Toronto. Once you cross into Canada do not plan on coming back into the USA unless you want t spend a lot of time at the border. It is quite easy to get into Canada these days but a pain to get back into the USA. If you are going to stay the night in Niagara Falls you will find it cheaper to stay in the US in either Niagara Falls New York, or in the Buffalo Area.

I live in Erie, Pennsylvania and have lots of family in Harrsionburg Virginia, and lots of friends in the Buffalo Area so I am very familiar with this trip. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions I will be happy to help.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 09:28:29 pm »

When you are at Niagara Falls, take the time to hike into the gorge which is downstream from the falls.  Ask for directions when there.  You can go down on the American or Canadian side; both great but different, if only one side, I prefer the latter.  For me, the gorge is more impressive than the falls itself.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190289\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I strongly recommend this as well. Just down river from the falls, look for "Niagara Glen" park. Look for the stair case going down about 3 stories, then it's trails from there. It is incredible down there.

Jon Smith

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:26:52 am »

What is your planned route for now, or will that be purely subject to suggestions?  There are not many vistas in/around Raleigh, but there are a few scenic areas here and there.

VidJa

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 02:04:52 pm »

Thank you very much. I'm still planning the trip (depending on what my employer wants to pay).

Wally gave some very valuable directions which I will keep in my mind for a personal trip.

VidJa

Pages: [1]   Go Up