Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light system for a new studio  (Read 11758 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Light system for a new studio
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 06:00:40 pm »

Hi
We use Profoto Acutes with fotoflex soft boxes. Resale value of profoto is excellent compared with other brands. Even in Sydney Profoto is no 1 in rental.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

James D

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 01:17:38 am »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Real helpful to hear about the ring adapters and poor Profoto boxes

I will look at getting Profoto lights minus Profoto softboxes, and switch for that to Bron or Elinchrom. Chimera am not so sure but will look into it.

Am also looking at a switch from 7a to 7s generator's. To be clear, there's no advantage to having any 7a's? And with the dial down advantages of the 1200, would you go for a mix of 2400s and 1200s. If i was looking at 3 x 7a/7s and 3 x B2. Any thoughts on a rework? I'm still curious to hear more on acute's, but cautious since they require different heads.

ALso, does anyone experience/see drawbacks to an imac workstation for reviewing shots? I don't plan on a dedicated retouching service needing powerful Mac Pro's. I have a MBP and can provide an Eizo CE240W that i use as required

Have added a Honda generator to the list.

Thanks!

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 01:35:34 am »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Real helpful to hear about the ring adapters and poor Profoto boxes

I will look at getting Profoto lights minus Profoto softboxes, and switch for that to Bron or Elinchrom. Chimera am not so sure but will look into it.

Am also looking at a switch from 7a to 7s generator's. To be clear, there's no advantage to having any 7a's? And with the dial down advantages of the 1200, would you go for a mix of 2400s and 1200s. If i was looking at 3 x 7a/7s and 3 x B2. Any thoughts on a rework? I'm still curious to hear more on acute's, but cautious since they require different heads.

ALso, does anyone experience/see drawbacks to an imac workstation for reviewing shots? I don't plan on a dedicated retouching service needing powerful Mac Pro's. I have a MBP and can provide an Eizo CE240W that i use as required

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190079\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What I use personally vs. what "photographers" expect in a rental studio are way different.

In this business your not selling reality, even logic, your selling perception and photoraphers more than any humans on the planet will buy into perception in a heartbeat.

I've used actues since they first came out and never had one just go down.  About every year I send them to flash clinic for checking, fixing little issues, but never just lost a pack.

I'm sure 7's are just if not more robust, though they are also a lot more money.

Still your selling perception and even though I am positive a profoto beauty dish is as good as a mola, a large elinchrome or profoto jumbo brella will look the same as a Brieze, walk through any high end rental studio in NY and you will see Brieze's a dozen pro 7's and corresponding heads, usually with nd fliters taped to the front to kill the massive output.

Once again your selling perception so you might as well go for it.

As far as modifiers expecially softboxes, I would go with the ones made for hot light use, as you will probably finding yourself buying at least one or two large quartz lights and maybe even hmis.

I use I-macs for on set tethering because I just refuse to travel with a tower, though the Imac screens are hot and need to be calibrated and really need a different 23" monitor to get the perfect view, but at least with C-1 they run very fast and one of my Imacs has traveled the world and never a broken anything except on key one the keyboard.

Since your selling perception so probably a tower, two 30" monitors and a huge magliner will make them go wow.

BTW:  make sure you have an aps battery for backups to the computer on set.

JR

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 03:38:34 am »

I use acute 1200's and Pro 7b's, with corresponding heads. Never a failure. I have had 3 compacts go down lately (I used them as permanent lights for the light table, and will never buy another again.) I skipped the 2400's because of the fan, as I take them outside sometimes and in dusty conditions I don't want stuff to be sucked into the box.

I'm looking into buying one or more D4r 2400's for pure studio use, and don't fully understand the preference for Pro7's that I see in this thread. To me the D4 line appears to be of higher value as well as with higher spec (except for flash duration.) Anyone have experience with the durability of D4's, as well as quirks in daily operation?
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

NBP

• http://
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 05:16:58 am »

Since your selling perception so probably a tower, two 30" monitors and a huge magliner will make them go wow.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Although I suspect like me, a large number of us run our own MB pro's, etc on location/in other studios (If I'm in another studio, I always take a 23" screen as well), and much prefer working on our own systems with all their personal preferences etc.
If you're not intending to offer retouching (smart IMO), I would suggest a single  23" or 30" screen to hook into,  and a 24" iMac for those who don't have/want to bring their own system would be perfectly adequate.
That would give you quite a saving to spend elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 11:48:58 am by NBP »

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 11:05:35 am »

Although I suspect like me,  a large number of us run our own Mbook Pro's etc on Location/ in other studios. (If I'm in another studio I always take a 23" screen as well) and much prefere working on our own systems with all their personal preferences etc.
If your not intending to offer re touching (smart IMO) I would sugest a single  23 or 30" screen to hook into & a 24" iMac for those that don't have/want to bring their own system would be perfectly adiquate.
That would give you quite saving to spend elsewhere.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with this thinking.. also regarding soft boxes. I switched to plume wafers from chimera years ago and love them.. not sure if they are available in asia..

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 02:08:55 pm »

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190079\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Asia is a really large continent, the last time I checked. Where in Asia do you intend to set up? Don't you think it is in your best interest to tell us so since you intend to RENT it out?

May I hazard a guess: Singapore?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up