Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DS III battery question  (Read 4099 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1DS III battery question
« on: April 14, 2008, 01:59:09 am »

I'm almost ready to purchase the 1DS III and was wondering about battery life.

I own the 5D and I have 3 batteries for it. I've read that the battery in the DS MKIII is far superior to the 5D batteries in output. In view of that, to get an equal amount of battery power with the 1DS MK III, will I need three batteries? I really hope not since they are 120US each.

Also the DS MKIII back comes with a "backup battery."

Main Battery: LP-E4  
Backup Battery: CR2025

I'm assuming the CR2025 has the same function as the backup battery in other cameras, to remember the camera settings?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:01:46 am by dwdallam »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
1DS III battery question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 02:53:40 am »

I own the 5D and I have 3 batteries for it. I've read that the battery in the DS MKIII is far superior to the 5D batteries in output. In view of that, to get an equal amount of battery power with the 1DS MK III, will I need three batteries? I really hope not since they are 120US each.

I'm assuming the CR2025 has the same function as the backup battery in other cameras, to remember the camera settings?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189348\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Let me put it this way.... Im more than 1700 actuations on tne 2nd charge and still showing full!
Wild Nature Photo Travel

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1DS III battery question
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:24:12 am »

Let me put it this way.... Im more than 1700 actuations on tne 2nd charge and still showing full!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189352\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're saying you have snapped the shutter 1700 times and still have 1/2 the battery? Geeze. Looks like I'll only have to get one backup battery then.

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
1DS III battery question
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 03:28:00 am »

You're saying you have snapped the shutter 1700 times and still have 1/2 the battery? Geeze. Looks like I'll only have to get one backup battery then.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189354\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I too have a second battery, but never used it. I haven't managed to empty a fully charged battery in a day's shooting, so I may charge again overnight if needed.

francois

1DS III battery question
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 03:31:25 am »

I second Josh's post. The mark 3 batteries seem to last forever. I only tested in mild weather (0°c to 20°c) but I shot with one of my friend and his 5D batteries much much drained faster.

Why don't you test your Mk3 with the original battery to see how long it lasts and decide later if additional ones are necessary. In my opinion, a second battery will be all you need.

As for the small CR2025 battery, it should last 4-5 years and it's inexpensive. You're correct, it's used to keep camera settings and date/time.
Francois

sojournerphoto

1DS III battery question
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 03:44:06 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189348\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unless your gping to shoot thousands of frames between charges you'll probably only need one battery. Seem to last forever, even when you leave the camera on... I too have 3 batteries (two aftermarket) for my 5D and I think the one on the 1Ds3 outlasts al them together.

Mike

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
1DS III battery question
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 11:58:39 am »

Unless your gping to shoot thousands of frames between charges you'll probably only need one battery. Seem to last forever, even when you leave the camera on... I too have 3 batteries (two aftermarket) for my 5D and I think the one on the 1Ds3 outlasts al them together.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189360\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would always have a backup battery.  "Stuff" happens.    

That said, the 1 series batteries have always lasted WAY longer than the "consumer-sized" batteries on the 60/10/20/30/40 and 5D cameras.  The cantankerous heavy batteries on the 1D II and 1Ds II were good for 1200-1500 exposures.  And the new ones in the IIIs are smaller, faster, and have more capacity as they are LiIon instead of NiMH.  They are a lot larger than the batteries on the 5D.

francois

1DS III battery question
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 12:15:41 pm »

I would always have a backup battery.  "Stuff" happens.    

That said, the 1 series batteries have always lasted WAY longer than the "consumer-sized" batteries on the 60/10/20/30/40 and 5D cameras.  The cantankerous heavy batteries on the 1D II and 1Ds II were good for 1200-1500 exposures.  And the new ones in the IIIs are smaller, faster, and have more capacity as they are LiIon instead of NiMH.  They are a lot larger than the batteries on the 5D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, the "old" batteries for mk II already lasted for a long time, except in cold temperature but the new ones (for mk III) are really an improvement.

A second backup battery is not that expensive compared to the price of a 1Ds mk III (or even to a 1D mk III).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:16:19 pm by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up