Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: attention: brumbaer users with leopard  (Read 1558 times)

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
attention: brumbaer users with leopard
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:45:34 am »

there is a little ( or not so little ) bug in leopard together with the brumbaer reader, regarding the firewire channels which can result  sometimes to misscommunication between the reader and the ( leopard ) computer.
this can cause to IA and BR files which do not contain data except the previews,- therefor the preview images still show the motifs in the finder and one might think the data is downloaded  and erase it .
unfortunately it happened to me that some files of the raw data have been incomplete and could not be opened after the download.
if the back is disconnected or the computer resetted a newly started download usually will work fine,  so if you still have the data in the back or on the cf card you can download it again,- if you realised in time the mistake.
BUT: there seems to be no way to see if the data is ok or not before you did not convert it to dng.

so at the moment one better does not erase the raw data in the back or on cf card till they are konvered  to dng and previewed.
stephan told me that apple is conscient of the firewire errors and working on them ... but we all know what this means. maybe tomorrow there will be a solution maybe never.

me i will finally downgrade my pwb to tiger .... i never had any problems with it.
this error under leopard  happened to me twice and fortunately i realised it in both cases before erasing the original files so i could download the raws again.  
but if the things run bad this might be a bomb or better said it might be a production-day killer.
Prakash P. told me yesterday by phone  about a similar sounding error with his setup ( leopard as well ), so i believe its not just my back/ pwb combo which can show this error.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 11:13:55 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp
Pages: [1]   Go Up