Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JPEG Problem  (Read 5024 times)

AjantaKVS

JPEG Problem
« on: April 12, 2008, 10:07:15 am »

Hello to all,

I have a folder full of images taken with my Nikon D40x camera and transfered to a DVD and deleted images from the camera card and also formated the card.

Now, I am unable to open images in any of the SW's I have from the DVD including PS7.0

I am unable to see even thumbnails in the  explorer window only icons are appearing
and when i try to open the images in PS I get jpeg marker segment error and in ACDSee it does not open at all. also in IE and firefox.

The images are very important and  belongs to  my customer,  he is very furious and angry with me.

This is happening to me for the first time, i am so panic I don't know what to do    

Can any body help me here, Please Please.
There are about 300 images and none of them are opening.
I remember after downloading from the card I have reviewed the images in  ACDSee before transfereing to DVD.

I Don't know what went wrong. I am following my regular workflow and I never faced with this typeof problem earlier.

I will be very thankful, If somebody suggests me how to recover those images

AjantaKVS

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
JPEG Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 10:12:47 am »

Google PhotoRescue and try running it on the card. Hopefully you haven't shot any images on it since then...

Panopeeper

JPEG Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 10:41:59 am »

Some cards come with software for the rescue, for example Sandisk. If you don't find anything better, I can upload Sandisk's Rescue Pro. I don't know this for sure, but I don't think it has any card specific issues.

Thought it does not help in this specific situation, I have to note, that it borders on criminal negligence to keep important data only on DVD, which is the least reliable media, and to boot it, only on a single copy?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 10:42:57 am by Panopeeper »
Gabor

AjantaKVS

JPEG Problem
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 10:52:40 am »

Google PhotoRescue and try running it on the card. Hopefully you haven't shot any images on it since then...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188926\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply.But...

Recovering the refer d  images from the card, is not at all possible, as after that event i have covered many other events and even formated the  card several times and, infact tried and failed to find the above refer d images from card recovery SW.

Now the only  images i have is on  back up DVD and those images are not openable . How to recover those images. I copied that folder to my system and tried to open, then also same problem and same error.

Find the attached error message window i am getting with PS 7.0

Please, any other way out?      

AjantaKVS

[attachment=6067:attachment]

Panopeeper

JPEG Problem
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 11:10:10 am »

The message appears to be clear. Still, I can take a close loot at it, if you upload such a file. Use yousendit.com, as picture servers would probably reject the file.

Btw, why on earth would one reformat the card reularly?
Gabor

AjantaKVS

JPEG Problem
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 12:53:38 pm »

The message appears to be clear. Still, I can take a close loot at it, if you upload such a file. Use yousendit.com, as picture servers would probably reject the file.

Btw, why on earth would one reformat the card reularly?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188953\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Usually once the images are downloaded and after sufficiently backing up the images and to reuse the card for next event we have to two options to remove/delete/erase images , They are

1) use erase all images in card in the camera using erase all button/procedure

2) format the card in the camera using format button/procedure.

I have read in many places in forums and magazines that the the second method is the way to go than the first. So I do  follow that method and advise others also to follow it
as it is also technically correct.

BTW no solution yet to my original problem

AjantaKVS

Panopeeper

JPEG Problem
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 02:43:36 pm »

I have read in many places in forums and magazines that the the second method is the way to go than the first. So I do  follow that method and advise others also to follow it
as it is also technically correct.
Well, I advise others to ignore this rubbish. By now you too ought to know, that this is *not* the way to go.
Gabor

BryanHansel

• www.bryanhansel.com
JPEG Problem
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 02:49:10 pm »

Well, I advise others to ignore this rubbish. By now you too ought to know, that this is *not* the way to go.

Please, explain. Why wouldn't you format a card after you download and back-up the images? Why in the world would anyone waste time deleting each image before going out and filling up the next 4GB of images.

Please, post the link to a sample image.
Bryan Hansel
[url=http://www.paddling

Panopeeper

JPEG Problem
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 04:04:48 pm »

Please, explain. Why wouldn't you format a card after you download and back-up the images? Why in the world would anyone waste time deleting each image before going out and filling up the next 4GB of images

1. There is no time wasted, because my camera offers an "erase all" feature.

2. I don't use that feature, for I am copying the files with MS Explorer from the CF card to HD, and deleting the files by Explorer.

3. By not formatting the card I would be able to recover some images in case of some special circumstance. This happened to me once.

4. Most important: there are two files in the folder of the images on the card, which are write protected for good reason:

a. a BAT file to rename all images before I upload them,

b. a UniWB white balancing template image.

Deleting all images leaves those files alone, but  formatting would erase those as well.

Please, post the link to a sample image
To a what sample of image?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:05:17 pm by Panopeeper »
Gabor

KeithR

JPEG Problem
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 05:22:33 pm »

Hello,

Find the attached error message window i am getting with PS 7.0

Please, any other way out?      

AjantaKVS

[attachment=6067:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188938\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You say you shot these with a Nikon D40x, and that they did not open in PS7. Did you shoot these as raw files? If so, PS7 is not capable of reading the files, hence the messege. You would have to upgrade to PSCS3. Do you have a copy of Nikon View(should be free), or Nikon Capture NX?
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

BryanHansel

• www.bryanhansel.com
JPEG Problem
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 06:59:30 pm »

what[/i] sample of image?
For the original poster.
Bryan Hansel
[url=http://www.paddling

AjantaKVS

JPEG Problem
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 01:50:39 am »

You say you shot these with a Nikon D40x, and that they did not open in PS7. Did you shoot these as raw files? If so, PS7 is not capable of reading the files, hence the messege. You would have to upgrade to PSCS3. Do you have a copy of Nikon View(should be free), or Nikon Capture NX?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189044\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello,

I have shot in jpeg mode not RAW mode, Yes I know about RAW mode work flow and that is not the issue at all here.

Some people askes me to attach one of the files in that 300 files are so, here are two images if you need more I can upload.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 01:57:36 am by AjantaKVS »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
JPEG Problem
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 06:00:10 am »

Short version: the files are corrupt, and you have no choice but to reshoot. The moral of the story is not to leave only one copy of important client files on a single medium with the worst track record for data loss.

sniper

JPEG Problem
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 06:13:55 am »

Formating the card makes no difference to recovering the images, I have had to recover "lost" images several times for an accident prone mate, he always formats (often without downloading the images first lol) and providing he hasn't re used the card and written over them, no problems, the only time I failed was when he'd done another shoot over the top, even then we got some back.
(Card recovery or image rescue 2)    Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up