Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide DS or Horseman SWDII for MF DB system  (Read 4852 times)

michaelnotar

Wide DS or Horseman SWDII for MF DB system
« on: April 12, 2008, 01:53:35 am »

hello, im somewhat new to the MF DB world and i currently use a P25 on my mamiya 645 w/35/55/80/150 lenses + on a view camera  recently w/ a schneider 150/5.6 4x5 fillm lens.

im looking at a cambo wide ds or horseman swdII for my wide angle needs (55-35/28ish) ....

curious to which camera you would recommend.

i like rodenstock digital lenses, not the HR lenses, as they are the cheapest, but the WDS doesnt have many Rod lenses. curious to know about putting rodenstock lenses on it, how it works and what i need/expenses.

while the Rod HR lenses are awesome i hear, i probably dont get the full benefit of them with the P25, so the regular digital lenses are fine for me.

the Horseman uses all Rod lenses, all but one but its the extreme WA 24mm, and all the lens units are cheaper, a big plus. its a special order item/non returnable though at BH, so i hesitate to buy it and dont know much about its reputation being newer etc. it looks good though, probably  cant go wrong with either.

i know of several WDS units used that are really appealing, but they are complete with film lens and film back. the DB mounts for the WDS are really expensive almost 1k, the Horseman ones are ~$350.

i want to get into the system as cheap as possible, im not sure if its best to get a used film system and sell off the film parts or a completely digital system from day one, what ever is cheaper. i definitely dont need to shoot film with what ever i decide to do.

thanks for your help. look forward to hearing back from everyone.

jessegoff

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:32:49 pm »

I use a Cambo Wide with the Scheider 24mm XL and 335mm XL and am so fairly happy with the reults.  I attached a shot I used with my P45.  For all other focal lengths I use Hasselblad.

Anyone know of center weighted filters that work with these two aforementioned lenses?

Jesse[attachment=6144:attachment]
JESSE GOFF PHOTOGRAPHY

358 Brannan Street
San Francisco, CA 94107

415 777 3700 Tel
415 777 3730 Fax

Jesse Goff Photography

michaelnotar

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:02:12 pm »

yes there are center filters for them they run $200 each, highly reccomended for the 24, with the 35 it can go either way. a phaseone dealer can get them for you. try capture integration in atlanta/miama if you dont have any other place.

I use a Cambo Wide with the Scheider 24mm XL and 335mm XL and am so fairly happy with the reults.  I attached a shot I used with my P45.  For all other focal lengths I use Hasselblad.

Anyone know of center weighted filters that work with these two aforementioned lenses?

Jesse[attachment=6144:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189836\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jessegoff

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:26:39 pm »

yes there are center filters for them they run $200 each, highly reccomended for the 24, with the 35 it can go either way. a phaseone dealer can get them for you. try capture integration in atlanta/miama if you dont have any other place.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189842\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks.  Have you used those center weighted filters?  So you are saying the Rodenstock lenses are superior over the Schneiders?  In what way.  

So did you decide to what to go with?  

I got the Cambo without thinking about it too much.  I got a good deal on it because I bought a bunch of Hasselblad stuff and a P45 back at the same time.  I should have posted a shot from the cambo instead but I'm going to now.  This is from the 35mm with two shots stitched.
JESSE GOFF PHOTOGRAPHY

358 Brannan Street
San Francisco, CA 94107

415 777 3700 Tel
415 777 3730 Fax

Jesse Goff Photography

michaelnotar

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:32:59 pm »

i dont have either system yet. theres center filters for any LF lens, i never mentioned brand. i think i will go with the H swd, its much cheaper, esp the lenses, which are rod's. for comparision the sch 24xl is available in both system its only like 3400 for the horseman but 5000 for the wds. also other lenses for the wds are about that same price, and all the other lenses for the horseman are 2400.

Thanks.  Have you used those center weighted filters?  So you are saying the Rodenstock lenses are superior over the Schneiders?  In what way. 

So did you decide to what to go with? 

I got the Cambo without thinking about it too much.  I got a good deal on it because I bought a bunch of Hasselblad stuff and a P45 back at the same time.  I should have posted a shot from the cambo instead but I'm going to now.  This is from the 35mm with two shots stitched.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jessegoff

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 03:10:17 am »

i dont have either system yet. theres center filters for any LF lens, i never mentioned brand. i think i will go with the H swd, its much cheaper, esp the lenses, which are rod's. for comparision the sch 24xl is available in both system its only like 3400 for the horseman but 5000 for the wds. also other lenses for the wds are about that same price, and all the other lenses for the horseman are 2400.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess the thing I was concerned about it is matching the correct center filter for the lens characteristics.  I thought they were specifically designed for that lens, for example the center filter I have for my xpan 30mm is made by hasselblad specifically for that lens.  I am nervous about buying a filter that might not match the lens perfectly.  I'll call the folks in Florida you mentioned and see what they have to say...
JESSE GOFF PHOTOGRAPHY

358 Brannan Street
San Francisco, CA 94107

415 777 3700 Tel
415 777 3730 Fax

Jesse Goff Photography

danazoo

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 05:27:24 pm »

Schneider optics makes specific and exact center filters for their lenses. This is the center filter you will want. On the Cambo Wide, you will certainly need it on the 24XL or 35XL.

I guess the thing I was concerned about it is matching the correct center filter for the lens characteristics.  I thought they were specifically designed for that lens, for example the center filter I have for my xpan 30mm is made by hasselblad specifically for that lens.  I am nervous about buying a filter that might not match the lens perfectly.  I'll call the folks in Florida you mentioned and see what they have to say...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189874\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 12:22:24 am »

hello, im somewhat new to the MF DB world and i currently use a P25 on my mamiya 645 w/35/55/80/150 lenses + on a view camera  recently w/ a schneider 150/5.6 4x5 fillm lens.

im looking at a cambo wide ds or horseman swdII for my wide angle needs (55-35/28ish) ....

curious to which camera you would recommend.

i like rodenstock digital lenses, not the HR lenses, as they are the cheapest, but the WDS doesnt have many Rod lenses. curious to know about putting rodenstock lenses on it, how it works and what i need/expenses.

while the Rod HR lenses are awesome i hear, i probably dont get the full benefit of them with the P25, so the regular digital lenses are fine for me.

the Horseman uses all Rod lenses, all but one but its the extreme WA 24mm, and all the lens units are cheaper, a big plus. its a special order item/non returnable though at BH, so i hesitate to buy it and dont know much about its reputation being newer etc. it looks good though, probably  cant go wrong with either.

i know of several WDS units used that are really appealing, but they are complete with film lens and film back. the DB mounts for the WDS are really expensive almost 1k, the Horseman ones are ~$350.

i want to get into the system as cheap as possible, im not sure if its best to get a used film system and sell off the film parts or a completely digital system from day one, what ever is cheaper. i definitely dont need to shoot film with what ever i decide to do.

thanks for your help. look forward to hearing back from everyone.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188874\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You really need to post this in the MF forum to get a load of answers

The horesman the movements are not geared unlike the cambo

I dont know if this matters

With the lenses you need to research both the angle of view and the image circle

a big image circle allows movements to correct verticals and also a bit of stitching to make an even wider image

Once you find that larger image circle = more money I think you will find lenses for R and S cost about the same

Dont know much more ..

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up