Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Triple Falls - Glacier NP info  (Read 8080 times)

Khurram

Triple Falls - Glacier NP info
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:35:43 am »

I wanted to get some advice on where Triple Falls/Double Falls is in Glacier NP.  I saw Galen Rowell's photo (titled Double Falls) a few years back and always wanted to go there.

All i know is that it is past the Logan's pass visitor centre.  When I was there last year, i asked at the visitor centre and the Rangers there said that it was off limits at that time of the year (late August 07), and naturally would not say how to get there.  The Ranger also told me that the falls is actually very ordinary and is nothing more then a little stream and really not worth the effort.  She said photographrs just played with the angles, but it is actually a very boring location.  She pretty much tried her best to dissuade me from going there.

Has anyone been there, I did buy a couple of trail guides for Glacier NP, but it was not listed there.  I'd appreciate if someone could provide info on how to get there.

I have reservations at the end of June/early July for 6 days and another 4 days at the start of August, so I really want to go there.

I also wanted to get some advice on the best time for Avalanche Gorge.  When I went in late August, there really wasn't much water flow, i got some OK shots, but would like to go when there is a lot more water flow.

Would also appreciate any other suggestions.  Last year, i pretty much spent my time around Swift Current and the drive from St Mary to Avalanche Gorge, but did not venture further.  

My reservations for this year are split between The Rising Sun Motor Inn and Many Glaciers Hotel again.  In hindisght i wished i had booked something at Lake MacDonald.  It is probably too far away for sunrise, but how is it for Sunset?

Here are some pics from my first trip to the park last year:
http://www.pbase.com/kssphotography/glacier_national_park
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 12:48:36 am by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

seangirard

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:01:38 pm »

I'm not familiar with that spot but it looks to be past the visitor center, as you say. Probably back toward Reynolds or the Dragon's Tail. I would think the rangers would dissuade you from going out there pretty much any time of year. Most of the off-trail stuff in the park happens above tree line and away from the heavily trafficked areas. What they are most afraid of I think is that you will set an example for everyone on the boardwalk to go running around the tundra. If you decide to go out looking for it I would go very early in the morning. Be careful where you walk and try to stay on the rocks as much as possible. If it is near full moon you can basically be out all night up around the pass in very bright moonlight so you could explore then.

The earlier you get to Avalanche the more it will run. I wouldn't waste a sunrise on it... too many trees around there and it is hard to get a good angle.

Some years the pass doesn't open until around the 4th of July and this year has been a heavy snowfall. You will probably see more crowds on the August trip. Late August early September is my favorite time but you do sort of miss out on the wildflowers.

quote=Khurram,Apr 11 2008, 09:35 PM]
I wanted to get some advice on where Triple Falls/Double Falls is in Glacier NP.  I saw Galen Rowell's photo (titled Double Falls) a few years back and always wanted to go there.

All i know is that it is past the Logan's pass visitor centre.  When I was there last year, i asked at the visitor centre and the Rangers there said that it was off limits at that time of the year (late August 07), and naturally would not say how to get there.  The Ranger also told me that the falls is actually very ordinary and is nothing more then a little stream and really not worth the effort.  She said photographrs just played with the angles, but it is actually a very boring location.  She pretty much tried her best to dissuade me from going there.
Has anyone been there, I did buy a couple of trail guides for Glacier NP, but it was not listed there.  I'd appreciate if someone could provide info on how to get there.

I have reservations at the end of June/early July for 6 days and another 4 days at the start of August, so I really want to go there.

I also wanted to get some advice on the best time for Avalanche Gorge.  When I went in late August, there really wasn't much water flow, i got some OK shots, but would like to go when there is a lot more water flow.

Would also appreciate any other suggestions.  Last year, i pretty much spent my time around Swift Current and the drive from St Mary to Avalanche Gorge, but did not venture further.  

My reservations for this year are split between The Rising Sun Motor Inn and Many Glaciers Hotel again.  In hindisght i wished i had booked something at Lake MacDonald.  It is probably too far away for sunrise, but how is it for Sunset?

Here are some pics from my first trip to the park last year:
http://www.pbase.com/kssphotography/glacier_national_park
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Khurram

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 11:41:04 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.  Anyone know when the pass typically is open??  I was told that it usually opens after the first week of June.  It woulr really suck, if during the 6 or 7 days i'm spending there from June 25-July2, if the pass wasn't open!

I'm not familiar with that spot but it looks to be past the visitor center, as you say. Probably back toward Reynolds or the Dragon's Tail. I would think the rangers would dissuade you from going out there pretty much any time of year. Most of the off-trail stuff in the park happens above tree line and away from the heavily trafficked areas. What they are most afraid of I think is that you will set an example for everyone on the boardwalk to go running around the tundra. If you decide to go out looking for it I would go very early in the morning. Be careful where you walk and try to stay on the rocks as much as possible. If it is near full moon you can basically be out all night up around the pass in very bright moonlight so you could explore then.

The earlier you get to Avalanche the more it will run. I wouldn't waste a sunrise on it... too many trees around there and it is hard to get a good angle.

Some years the pass doesn't open until around the 4th of July and this year has been a heavy snowfall. You will probably see more crowds on the August trip. Late August early September is my favorite time but you do sort of miss out on the wildflowers.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189443\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog
Pages: [1]   Go Up