Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: profiles for new HP papers on B9180  (Read 2311 times)

rickk

profiles for new HP papers on B9180
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:20:45 pm »

HP has a helpful web page for profiles of papers of other brands:
http://h30267.www3.hp.com/country/us/en/su...-b9180-icc.html

but I've been unable to find a comparable location for their own papers.
Any clues?

Thanks,   Rick

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 02:18:49 am »

I see you're cross posting on Dpreview.
All the profiles are lodged in the package in the driver on Mac and on PC they are installed in the spool / color folder.  Included are all the profiles for all suitable HP papers. Newly updated are the Pro Satin. Some profiles are used for the same media type, different quality settings.
Are you on Mac or PC?

rickk

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 11:08:25 am »

I see you're cross posting on Dpreview.
All the profiles are lodged in the package in the driver on Mac and on PC they are installed in the spool / color folder.  Included are all the profiles for all suitable HP papers. Newly updated are the Pro Satin. Some profiles are used for the same media type, different quality settings.
Are you on Mac or PC?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope, that wasn't me on the other site. But it was an amazing coincidence that someone else posted exactly the same question at about the same time.
Neil: many thanks for your help on this matter and many others relating to the HP line and printing in general. In answer to your question, the printer is connected to a Mac.
Your information provided a good reason to check on the age of the driver (version 7.8 from 2006) included with a printer sold last month. No wonder that HP's newer papers (like Pro Satin) didn't have profiles on that old software. Version 9.7 is now being downloaded and will hopefully be current. I bought the B9180 as a quick fix while hassling with HP on the warranty date of my Z3100 (which has been favorably resolved). As Neil and others have mentioned here, the little printer is a fine supplement (and back-up) to the Z3100.

Rick
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:21:32 am by rickk »

neil snape

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:33:33 am »

Okay sorry if I thought it was a cross post, which by the way doesn't bother me anyway. Just thought sometimes it's a bit redundant if indeed the same question comes up at the same time on two forums.
HP changed the naming of the media about 3 years ago. IT is a step forward but still has some inconsistencies in the driver dialogues. When they add similar sounding media it becomes a guessing thing , and not documented enough for users. Things like Soft Gloss or Satin matte, do need better names than that, considering they are in the same category, yet are not at all the same thing.

Glad you found the new drivers to have correctly installed the new tags and profiles.  I'm not sure if the patch on the HP site is a good or bad thing , since many reports are saying it breaks things. Since I finished testing the printer (s) I don't use the PC for any of my photography even though Qimage is installed on the PC , my favorite front end for printing from.

rickk

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 12:02:33 pm »

Okay sorry if I thought it was a cross post, which by the way doesn't bother me anyway. Just thought sometimes it's a bit redundant if indeed the same question comes up at the same time on two forums.
HP changed the naming of the media about 3 years ago. IT is a step forward but still has some inconsistencies in the driver dialogues. When they add similar sounding media it becomes a guessing thing , and not documented enough for users. Things like Soft Gloss or Satin matte, do need better names than that, considering they are in the same category, yet are not at all the same thing.

Glad you found the new drivers to have correctly installed the new tags and profiles.  I'm not sure if the patch on the HP site is a good or bad thing , since many reports are saying it breaks things. Since I finished testing the printer (s) I don't use the PC for any of my photography even though Qimage is installed on the PC , my favorite front end for printing from.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Neil: Thanks for your reply and additional info. I haven't yet installed or even obtained the 9.7 driver and new software (ftp connection was dropped before completion). Based on the reports you mentioned of other problems, would you recommend avoiding the newer version as long as the old one works and I can do without a couple of paper types?

Rick

neil snape

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 01:19:33 pm »

It think the driver is fine , it's just the patch that is a problem for some.

Precisely, it states the patch is for Pro Satin, and CS3 .

So I'm not sure how you can have PRo Satin without the patch. IF the patch doesn't work or causes problems, then I don't think it would be a good idea to add a custom set up, as they don't have the same inking as HP media.

I suppose one would have to try the patch, and in case of problems be sure to do a restoration point before doing so.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software9/CO...rivP_Net_WW.exe
Pages: [1]   Go Up