Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: harman gloss on Epson 3800 color settings  (Read 4750 times)

alain

harman gloss on Epson 3800 color settings
« on: April 11, 2008, 06:42:05 pm »

Hi

I've seen some different suggestions for the settings for printing color on Harman gloss with the epson 3800.  Are there "best" settings?   I will start using a custom icc profile.

- 1440 dpi or 2880 dpi (Eric Chan uses 2880 dpi for B&W)  Harman says 1440 dpi for their profile, etc... I don't mind the extra time and ink.

- Platen Gap to Wide or keep it at auto?

- Paper Thickness ?  The paper is 327 micron.  

Feeding the paper : from the sheet feeder (one at a time) or rear feeder or even front feeder (with backing material)?

Thanks,

Alain

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 12:04:39 am »

Take a look at a topic (currently #57 but that will change) titled "Scratches/PizzaWheel? New 3800" before this topic.

Same thing.

Aloha,
Aaron
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 12:05:03 am »

Take a look at a topic (currently #57 but that will change) titled "Scratches/PizzaWheel? New 3800" before this topic.

Same thing.

Aloha,
Aaron
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

alain

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:32:30 am »

Same thing.

Aloha,
Aaron
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Aaron

Thanks, I looked at that topic, but as for Ilford Galery Gold Fibre Silk.  I should learn to read carefully. ([a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24180]Scratches/PizzaWheel topic[/url])

Are you printing on dpi 2880? I read that you found the dmax a little higher (or was it for the Gold Silk?).

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 05:40:43 pm »

Alain,

Sorry for the double post before.  I have no idea how to get rid of it.

Anyway, I only tested the 1440 with the Gold Fiber Silk, because that was Ilford's recommended setting.  My results indicated otherwise.  

You can probably expect similar results, however, with the Harman.  The Harman Glossy Al has a very respectable 2.46 dMax from the black ink at the top of a very smooth curve using 2880.  To my eyes, it looks just as black as the Gold Fiber Silk at 2880.  The curves slope gently all the way to the ends, with no reversal and no surprises at all.

There is a very slight indication of brighteners in the Harman (-0.09b), as mentioned also on their web site.  Ilford claims there are none in the Gold Fiber Silk.  The difference is very minor.  

The other settings I use for the Harman Glossy Al are exactly the same, as is the method of loading large sheets.

Aloha,
Aaron
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 10:39:12 am »

These are the settings I use when printing RGB color on Harman Gloss FB Al on my 3800:

Media Type = Premium Glossy Photo Paper
Color mode = Color
Print Quality = 2880 dpi
High Speed = off
Color Density = 0
Paper Thickness = 4
Platen Gap = Wide

I use the exact same settings when printing B&W except:

Color mode = Advanced B&W Photo
Tone menu (in ABW driver): Dark

I use the Auto Sheet Feed. One sheet at a time (no stacking).
Eric Chan

alain

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 02:02:19 pm »

Hi

Thanks.

Something strange :

Color Density, Paper Thickness and Platen Gap are not saved when I save a specific set of printer settings.  Worse they seem to reset when this is done...

So I probably printed profile patches with the standard paper settings.  I suppose that a different Paper Thickness and Platen Gap (maybe = auto), won't make a difference for color.

Alain

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 05:30:44 pm »

Alain,

Eric (madmanchan) has the right settings, there.  I also feed the large sheets with the advance button, as I mentioned in the Gold Silk topic, to avoid scratches.

Meanwhile, welcome to the wonderful latest photoshop printing engine reprogramming screwup, still mostly unfixed despite a well publicized outcry from the professional users.  I take it that you are using Windows, and it used to work for you.  I have a suggestion for a much better printing solution for you:  

Qimage uses your Epson drivers and profiles, does excellent page layout, superb final sharpening, and doesn't have amnesia, isn't in denial, and it's an incredible bargain (no, I don't work for them).  I've been very pleased with Qimage's performance.  When you save your settings they are saved with the image.  Why Adobe can't or won't do that is that they have their (no, I can't say that).

Aloha,
Aaron
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

alain

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 02:30:25 am »

Alain,

Eric (madmanchan) has the right settings, there.  I also feed the large sheets with the advance button, as I mentioned in the Gold Silk topic, to avoid scratches.

Meanwhile, welcome to the wonderful latest photoshop printing engine reprogramming screwup, still mostly unfixed despite a well publicized outcry from the professional users.  I take it that you are using Windows, and it used to work for you.  I have a suggestion for a much better printing solution for you: 

Qimage uses your Epson drivers and profiles, does excellent page layout, superb final sharpening, and doesn't have amnesia, isn't in denial, and it's an incredible bargain (no, I don't work for them).  I've been very pleased with Qimage's performance.  When you save your settings they are saved with the image.  Why Adobe can't or won't do that is that they have their (no, I can't say that).

Aloha,
Aaron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189292\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Aaron

I was printing from Qimage, but changing the settings inside the epson driver.  So the epson (windows) driver did the strange thing.  Because I was printing profile-patches I couldn't use the nice Qimage features for printing, all set to "no".  I just saved inside the driver to store them for the future. Yes when I have the profiles Qimage will recall the right settings automaticaly after 1 print with the profile.

I always print from Qimage, indeed very very good and easy.

Alain
Pages: [1]   Go Up