Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pimp my camera  (Read 26541 times)

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Pimp my camera
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 01:07:19 pm »

James you are right obviously and I'm not here to be anyone's defender but you have to admit that some of the statements above make their poster sound dimmer than what he/ she accuses the subject of his/ her posts to be....

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188977\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yair,

Your right to some extent, but there is also a level of personal publicity that surrounds a lot of my industry that has nothing to do with cameras, talent or work ethic.

At certain levels of this business, there is a reality that is 180 degrees from the truth, even to the point of who lights, shoots, conceives and retouches the final image.

Most people don't want to mention any of the publically because it can come across as jealousy or sour grapes, but that doesn't mean that "one hand clapping", is not getting deafening.

To defend or damn, you have to know more than a myspace page or see more than an overly cloned celeb image to know what really goes on, who does it, what it costs and if there is any financial or even artistic success.

This is a strange business that seems to attract way, way, way too much attention.  I'm shocked when actors, dancers, performers (and the group of wannabes) pick up a camera and and start filling the medium with images.

I'm even more surprised that photographers want to be household names.

I come at this industry with the thought that it takes a lot of hard work, investment, risk and effort and I have little patience for the ones that do it only for the "fame".

Where that puts the rest of us is in an uncomfortable position to also start pushing the PR and at that point it's not about the photograph, it's about who has the ability to pose as "blue steel" and scream me, me , me.

It's all silly.

Given this, I respect anyone that has success in this business and knows how to leverage all of their positives to keep going and whether I like the style or way they do it really doesn't matter because most of it just comes down to personal opinion.

JR
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 01:10:09 pm by James R Russell »

Dansk

Pimp my camera
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 01:47:51 pm »

Take it easy guys. Its mere opinions that affect nothing in the grand scheme of things. No need to take oneself so seriously this to me was a funny post and worth throwing a little humorous slander the way of Kilnko. Why?

Heck I dont know but why not? Jay Leno and Letterman made much more lucrative careers off of poking fun at people than Klinko or any of us ever will. Take it easy you'll keep more of your hair by lightening up

I bet Klinko himself would get a laugh out of this thread  

amsp

Pimp my camera
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 02:29:03 pm »

Take it easy guys. Its mere opinions that affect nothing in the grand scheme of things. No need to take oneself so seriously this to me was a funny post and worth throwing a little humorous slander the way of Kilnko. Why?

Heck I dont know but why not? Jay Leno and Letterman made much more lucrative careers off of poking fun at people than Klinko or any of us ever will. Take it easy you'll keep more of your hair by lightening up

I bet Klinko himself would get a laugh out of this thread 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188998\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Klinko's ego will survive my little humorous post. At least it's a counterweight to all the "Oh my that's a big camera you have Mr. Klinko, can I stroke it?" posts he gets on myspace  

RicAgu

Pimp my camera
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 02:42:46 pm »

No he wouldn't!  He may try to sue the person who started the thread!

There is so much bullshit in that camp and clients will get tired of it.  Indrani is a sweetheart.  Klinko is a joke.  Too many shooters from that era have huge crews and never worked a hard day in their life.

I am acquainted with a very famous fashion celeb photog that was billing $20 million a year just five - six years ago.  He blew it all on coke, boys, and partying.  Now he is selling off all his art and collectible furniture to pay his $25k rent and survive.

This guys was doing Maybeline, Loreal, Guess and some of the biggest European fashion gigs you could imagine. Now he is black listed from most of the studios in the city and Agencies want nothing to do with him.

People get tired of the Drama.

That is why you see guys like Sims, Goldberg, McDean shooting non-stop and turning down work.  Turn in stellar work and super low key fun guys to hang with.  The list goes on like Luchford and Sundsbo of people that could be the biggest pricks but rise above that.

I agree with the camera being insane.  I have a similar set up I posted here a while ago.  I guess it is what he feels he needs to get the shot.  What ever works, when you look at the other end you have Terry Richardson with Olympus point and shoots!

I did my Frankencamera to be able to use H1 mounted Phase backs on my RZ.

Also, give just about anyone with a small knowledge of photography the type of crew that K&I have and they could produce very close shots.

Just like in the film days, I hated the darkroom.  I also strongly dislike the Digital Darkroom.  Photogs like Testino, Leibovitz, Avedon and even Henri Cartier Bresson don't like being in the post.  They give their directions and leave it to the Pro's.  There is the opposite end of it with Adams, Penn and Salgado that enjoy printing.  

Everyone has their own way of getting the final result.  At the end of the day, does the shot make you go "Hmm, cool!"

Some of K&I's work is cool, most of it is plasticized schlock.

Just my nickel!

amsp

Pimp my camera
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 02:58:08 pm »

Couldn't agree more.

Mort54

• http://
Pimp my camera
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 03:32:50 pm »

Your original post was somewhat amusing, but your subsequent posts were a bit mean spirited, I think. This place becomes more like DPReview every day.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

amsp

Pimp my camera
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 04:31:23 pm »

Your original post was somewhat amusing, but your subsequent posts were a bit mean spirited, I think. This place becomes more like DPReview every day.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, you are certainly entitled to that opinion. Just as I am entitled to thinking you are WAY too sensitive.   I don't know what DPreview is like because I never visit that forum, but I know that I sure as hell wouldn't want to participate on a forum where one person, or a select group of people, decide what is funny, good taste, moral, etc. If you think this forum is not living up to your standards I guess you can always start your own and moderate it to your heart's content.

Peace

sid_v

Pimp my camera
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 04:40:59 pm »

hey asmp,

i think klinko has a message for u on his page:

"sorry if this page causes anxiety in loserville "

i think his cam looks cool to use, i've tried something similar to myrb67/phase, but not ivory and snake skin stuff...I love personalizing stuff... to make it the way i want it . Reminds me of van halens striped frankenguitar. These things are normal to people passionate about their craft.

BTW, people judge a photog not how he shoots, but whom he shoots.

regards,
sid.

www.sidvasandani.co.in

Mort54

Pimp my camera
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 04:49:08 pm »

Well, you are certainly entitled to that opinion. Just as I am entitled to thinking you are WAY too sensitive.
As you pointed out, we are all entitled to our opinions on this forum.

In my humble opinion, showing a photo of the guy's way-over-the-top camera is funny. I appreciate you showing it to us.

But saying "He's all about the cocaine, champagne and screwing models.. and then he has an army of ppl actually doing the work and making sure the photos look good." is going a bit too far. How do you know this is true? You don't - you only suppose it is. Should you be saying things in public which trash another person's reputation based only on your suppositions?

And saying someone is "the head of the bullshit department" isn't funny either. It's just name calling.

Telling someone to "get over yourself" for expressing his opinion is a bit too far also. Didn't you say that everyone is entitled to their opinion?

Just my opinion, of course.

amsp

Pimp my camera
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 05:14:58 pm »

hey asmp,

i think klinko has a message for u on his page:

"sorry if this page causes anxiety in loserville "

i think his cam looks cool to use, i've tried something similar to myrb67/phase, but not ivory and snake skin stuff...I love personalizing stuff... to make it the way i want it . Reminds me of van halens striped frankenguitar. These things are normal to people passionate about their craft.

BTW, people judge a photog not how he shoots, but whom he shoots.

regards,
sid.

www.sidvasandani.co.in
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think that quote says more about Klinko and his high thoughts about himself than me. But you are right, being published in fashion magazines in over 40 countries worldwide and working with clients like Giorgio Armani makes me feel like SUCH a looser. Thank god there are amazing photographers like yourself to point that out  

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Pimp my camera
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2008, 05:22:26 pm »

In my humble opinion, showing a photo of the guy's way-over-the-top camera is funny. I appreciate you showing it to us.

But saying "He's all about the cocaine, champagne and screwing models.. and then he has an army of ppl actually doing the work and making sure the photos look good." is going a bit too far. How do you know this is true? You don't - you only suppose it is. Should you be saying things in public which trash another person's reputation based only on your suppositions?

And saying someone is "the head of the bullshit department" isn't funny either. It's just name calling.

Telling someone to "get over yourself" for expressing his opinion is a bit too far also. Didn't you say that everyone is entitled to their opinion?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189036\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think he was making those comments about the photog he assisted.  

On another note, I did watch the R&R video and Ball said he thought Klinko was great and would use him in the future, so its odd he would say all those things later in a magazine. My guess is some falling out happened between the two post shoot.  

I think he does some great work, but how much of it is or isn't his production team is in question, but that can be said for almost anyone.  

Let it be clear, I think this post was just supposed to be in good humor about a couple of ridiculous looking cameras and an out of control myspace.

No one is trying to slander the guy or his work.   If the camera works for him..which it clearly does, fine.    

Yair, as a person who represents leaf...learn some manners. It's fine if you don't agree with what others say or think, but calling people dim is just going to stir up a mess.

amsp

Pimp my camera
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2008, 05:27:34 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189036\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
With all due respect, I could care less what YOU think is funny or where YOU draw the line. I thought I made that clear in my other post? Besides, I've never said I had any facts about Klinko, but rather what my impressions were after looking at his myspace page and the photos he has posted of himself there. I'm sorry, but I still think you are begging to be ridiculed if you make such obnoxious content public as he has. If nothing else he sure can't claim immunity from it, just like any other public figure who craves the attention. It's all part of the game.

Mort54

Pimp my camera
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 05:31:16 pm »

I think he was making those comments about the photog he assisted. 
Nope. He said he knew the type. His comments referred both to the person he assisted, and this Klinko person he's ridiculing in public.

Let it be clear, I think this post was just supposed to be in good humor about a couple of ridiculous looking cameras and an out of control myspace.
Absolutely. That's how it started. Good clean fun. But then AMSP made a few comments which went way beyond that, and that's what everybody is reacting to.

Mort54

Pimp my camera
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2008, 05:35:39 pm »

With all due respect, I could care less what YOU think is funny or where YOU draw the line. I thought I made that clear in my other post? Besides, I've never said I had any facts about Klinko, but rather what my impressions were after looking at his myspace page and the photos he has posted of himself there. I'm sorry, but I still think you are begging to be ridiculed if you make such obnoxious content public as he has. If nothing else he sure can't claim immunity from it, just like any other public figure who craves the attention. It's all part of the game.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189046\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Make it clear all you want, but saying "He's all about the cocaine, champagne and screwing models..." without any facts to back it up is just plain wrong and frankly something you should be ashamed of. I don't care how you want to spin it (and spinning it is what you're doing). Wrong is wrong.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Pimp my camera
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2008, 05:37:27 pm »

Make it clear all you want, but saying "He's all about the cocaine, champagne and screwing models..." without any facts to back it up

Do you know for a fact that asmp doesn't know what he's talking about? Or are you just assuming this?

amsp

Pimp my camera
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2008, 05:41:44 pm »

Nope. He said he knew the type. His comments referred both to the person he assisted, and this Klinko person he's ridiculing in public.
Absolutely. That's how it started. Good clean fun. But then AMSP made a few comments which went way beyond that, and that's what everybody is reacting to.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Actually, the anecdote WAS referring to the photographer I used to assist. Looking at Klinkos photos merely reminded me of him. And please don't say "everybody" when really you are talking about your own opinions here. It's just silly.

Mort54

Pimp my camera
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2008, 05:49:16 pm »

Do you know for a fact that asmp doesn't know what he's talking about? Or are you just assuming this?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189052\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, I do :-) ASMP said so in the last post of his I responded to, where he said he didn't have any facts about him, that it was just his impressions based on his MySpace page.

I'm all for having opinions about people. I do it all the time, including opinions about ASMP, as you just noted. But when you start stating these opions in public, without first clearly pointing out that they are just your impressions, is wrong. ASMPs comments that these were just his impressions were after the fact, after he had been called on them, in his attempt to spin what he had said.

If you want to defend him - fine. His comments, and my comments, stand on their own.

Mort54

Pimp my camera
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 05:52:17 pm »

Actually, the anecdote WAS referring to the photographer I used to assist. Looking at Klinkos photos merely reminded me of him. And please don't say "everybody" when really you are talking about your own opinions here. It's just silly.
You said you knew his type. And then you described that type. Don't try to weasel out of what you said.

Fine, these are just my opinions, if that makes you feel better. Everybody else on this forum agrees with you.

Best regards.

P.S. This thread has gone from amusing to insulting to just plain stupid, so I shall do the sane thing and ignore it from now on.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:57:23 pm by Mort54 »

amsp

Pimp my camera
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2008, 06:00:51 pm »

You said you knew his type. And then you described that type. Don't try to weasel out of what you said.

Fine, these are just my opinions, if that makes you feel better. Everybody else on this forum agrees with you.

Best regards.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189059\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So now not only are you the supreme ruler over what is funny and good taste, you're also the one who decides what I really meant. Why am I not surprised? I'm sorry, but I'm not 12 years old and you can't bully me around Mr. High & Mighty.  

yaya

Pimp my camera
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2008, 06:08:59 pm »

Yair, as a person who represents leaf...learn some manners. It's fine if you don't agree with what others say or think, but calling people dim is just going to stir up a mess.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189043\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Point taken, thanks,

I guess I was responding to the "get over yourself" friendly comment... Also, you are right that I represent Leaf but this really has nothing to do with my company (and I did say "IMHO" in my post, even though I did not remove my signature).

BR

Yair
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up