Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tilt Shift and Lens Blur  (Read 9109 times)

idenford

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:14:44 pm »

Has anybody applied tilt shift to an image using Lens Blur?
I attended a presentation last night and the photographer said she did this technique and got very David Lynch looking photos.
Is this possible to do in CS3?

idenford

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:19:55 pm »

DarkPenguin

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:47:03 pm »

Neat.

picnic

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:10:37 pm »

Has anybody applied tilt shift to an image using Lens Blur?
I attended a presentation last night and the photographer said she did this technique and got very David Lynch looking photos.
Is this possible to do in CS3?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188560\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a tilt shift lens and sometimes use this technique (but not for the 'model or toy city' look--not my thing).

Here are a  TS shot with selective focus--

and one done with lens blur and gradient mask

Yes, BTW--its very easy to do in PSCS3--layers and masks.

Diane

francois

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 05:41:36 am »

Mark Tucker is using this technique (probably with TS lenses) in a very elegant & pleasing way (example 1 or example 2).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:47:57 am by francois »
Francois

idenford

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 07:30:29 am »

These are beautiful photos, which tilt shift lens did you use and what camera do you shoot with?
Nicely Done!!!

francois

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 07:50:36 am »

I have a tilt shift lens and sometimes use this technique (but not for the 'model or toy city' look--not my thing).

Here are a  TS shot with selective focus--

and one done with lens blur and gradient mask

Yes, BTW--its very easy to do in PSCS3--layers and masks.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Diane,
Your photos are really outstanding. The TS effect  produces a special "je ne sais quoi", I like them a lot.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:51:38 am by francois »
Francois

picnic

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 08:56:29 am »

Mark Tucker is using this technique (probably with TS lenses) in a very elegant & pleasing way (example 1 or example 2).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree.  I've admired Mark Tucker's work for a long time and one of his photos from the Jack Daniels series intrigued me enough (vertical as opposed to horizontal plane of focus) to figure it out and rent a 24 TS and then buy the 45 TS.

[a href=\"http://www.marktucker.com/07jack05/content/WilliamGuitar5_large.html]http://www.marktucker.com/07jack05/content...tar5_large.html[/url]  and I think his whole Ecuador series is wonderful.  

Diane

picnic

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 09:04:35 am »

These are beautiful photos, which tilt shift lens did you use and what camera do you shoot with?
Nicely Done!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you.  I rented the 24 TS (Canon) for several weeks but finally decided the 45 suited my shooting better.  I use it a lot with both tilt and shift for architectural, landscape, selective focus, 3 shot flat stitch panos and just as a MF 45 prime.   The TS shots were with the 5D and the Canon 45 TS.  The one done is PS is shot with a 20D and 50 f/1.4 and the technique used was very similar to the tutorial given above in PS with layers and gradient masks.

I should also mention that I've used the 45 with the 1.4x converter--very nice and it takes it to a 63mm FL.

Diane

mistybreeze

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 08:43:13 am »

Tilt Shift is one of my favorite features of a large format camera. When I switched to digital, I, too, rented Canon's TS lenses to see if I could be happy in 35mm, trying to duplicate my large format pleasure. My effort failed.

I found it virtually impossible to guarantee a center of focus on Canon's TS lenses, especially in lower light situations. My inability to secure focus threw me into a pit of 35mm TS despair. For me, looking through the viewfinder of a 35mm camera is a joke when compared to checking focus on any large format camera. Accurate placement of focus is crucial to my work.

Even if it's possible, I imagine creating an auto-focus feature on TS lenses would be a very expensive accomplishment. Given the limited market for TS lenses, I don't anticipate AF ever coming into play. I'm not an exclusive AF shooter, either, but given my eyeglass prescription, I find being able to compare AF versus Manual in the viewfinder extremely helpful in achieving the desired focal plane.

I've never tried to create the TS effect in Photoshop (fake gimmick is not my style) but this thread has inspired me to take a look at the possibilities. Maybe with some careful tinkering, I can develop a technique that will endear me to 35mm even more. Thank you all.

picnic

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 08:55:59 am »

delete
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 09:03:08 am by picnic »

DarkPenguin

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 09:40:28 am »

I found it virtually impossible to guarantee a center of focus on Canon's TS lenses, especially in lower light situations. My inability to secure focus threw me into a pit of 35mm TS despair. For me, looking through the viewfinder of a 35mm camera is a joke when compared to checking focus on any large format camera. Accurate placement of focus is crucial to my work.

Have you tried this with live view?

akclimber

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 11:03:34 am »

A creatively useful plug-in for this sort of effect (and more) is Flaming Pear's "Melancholytron".  You can find it here:

http://www.flamingpear.com/melancholytron.html

Cheers!

boba

Tilt Shift and Lens Blur
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 04:19:45 pm »

Have any of you evaluated the difference in image quality between a shot using a tilt shift lens and modifying an image in Photoshop.  I've been wondering if the "perspective Correction" (why can't they call it that) changes made in Photoshop damaged the pixels??
Pages: [1]   Go Up