Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAW Workflow with LR  (Read 4365 times)

Potus5

• http://
RAW Workflow with LR
« on: April 10, 2008, 05:24:17 pm »

I'm a recent convert to Lightroom and while I enjoy its power and sensible logical steps in editing my photos I am confused about the appriorate workflow steps.

Previously I worked in Camera Raw and Photoshop. I imported my RAW files from my camera, saved these to a "RAW Photos" directory on my computer [which I then backed up to an external hard drive plus saved a second copy to a DVD]. I then previewed the RAWS in Camera Raw, deleted the junk, and identifed the 'keepers' and the better ones for processing. These I then saved to another directory ["Editing Stage Photos"]. In this directory I did all the processing possible in Camera Raw, and then exported the photos to Photoshop for additional work requiring steps like adjustment layers , etc. Finally when processing was complete in PS, I saved the photos as a PSD in a "Processed Photos" directory. In that directory I had separate sub-directories for photos processed specifically for i. web/internet; ii, view printing; iii. fine art, and iv. slideshows.

Net result - I have three directories - one of basic unprocessed RAW files, one for those in the process or editing stage; and the thrid one for my final photos.

However - do I do this same workflow approach in Lightroom? Since it does 'nondestrcutive' processing I seem to end up with my 'edited' photos in the same directory as my original basic RAW photos.  After the final processing in PS I end up with only two sets of photos - my final PS worked photos in a saved Finals directory on my computer, and everything else - the LR processed files are all in together with the original unprocessed RAWs which actually no longer exist [except as 'non-destrcutive' photos] in my RAW directory.

How do I have in LR a directory for the origianl RAWS, another separate directory where LR has the editing photos prior to export to the PS processing stage, and a third directory of my finals?

Appreciate any and all advice.

Glenn

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
RAW Workflow with LR
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 06:25:44 pm »

It doesn't necessarily make sense.  If you don't round trip to Photoshop, you will only have one file, period.  Any and all changes will be in the LR database as "recipes," and can be in an XMP sidecar file as well if you wish.

Only if you do "destructive" editing (by round tripping to Photoshop) will you have a separate file (TIFF or PSD, as you prefer), and LR does like to put that next to the original file.

Maybe stop worrying so strictly about how your file system works, and manage all the info via Lightroom... you can set up whatever structure you want there by way of Collections.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
RAW Workflow with LR
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 03:48:28 am »

I'm a recent convert to Lightroom and while I enjoy its power and sensible logical steps in editing my photos I am confused about the appriorate workflow steps.

Previously I worked in Camera Raw and Photoshop. I imported my RAW files from my camera, saved these to a "RAW Photos" directory on my computer [which I then backed up to an external hard drive plus saved a second copy to a DVD]. I then previewed the RAWS in Camera Raw, deleted the junk, and identifed the 'keepers' and the better ones for processing. These I then saved to another directory ["Editing Stage Photos"]. In this directory I did all the processing possible in Camera Raw, and then exported the photos to Photoshop for additional work requiring steps like adjustment layers , etc. Finally when processing was complete in PS, I saved the photos as a PSD in a "Processed Photos" directory. In that directory I had separate sub-directories for photos processed specifically for i. web/internet; ii, view printing; iii. fine art, and iv. slideshows.

Net result - I have three directories - one of basic unprocessed RAW files, one for those in the process or editing stage; and the thrid one for my final photos.

However - do I do this same workflow approach in Lightroom? Since it does 'nondestrcutive' processing I seem to end up with my 'edited' photos in the same directory as my original basic RAW photos.  After the final processing in PS I end up with only two sets of photos - my final PS worked photos in a saved Finals directory on my computer, and everything else - the LR processed files are all in together with the original unprocessed RAWs which actually no longer exist [except as 'non-destrcutive' photos] in my RAW directory.

How do I have in LR a directory for the origianl RAWS, another separate directory where LR has the editing photos prior to export to the PS processing stage, and a third directory of my finals?

Appreciate any and all advice.

Glenn
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You misunderstand what LR does. It does not change the raw files.

Rather, it stores a sequence of editing commands (white balance, sharpening, clarity and so on) as a list in its database and shows you the result of applying those edits to the raw file.

When you export a shot (for example, to edit in PS), the editing commands in the database are applied to the original, untouched raw file to produce whatever it is you want to export: a psd, a jpeg, a tiff. The original raw file remains untouched.

It doesn't make sense to refer to a processed or an unprocessed raw file. There's no need for the intermediate, second directory to which you refer.

Once you grasp the concept, it's both simple and elegant. It's probably worth reading a book: I enjoyed Evenings.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:38:17 am by kikashi »

Pelao

RAW Workflow with LR
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:35:22 pm »

I had a very similar set of questions. To add to what the others have said, here is a rough outline of what I have done.

I like to be able to identify edits which were made for different purposes.

I import into a folder called 'shoot name Originals'

In LR I then delete the duds. Then I select all, and under Collections create a new collection - I elect to create Virtual Copies of all the images. This new Collection is called 'shoot name edited DNG' (I elect to import as DNGs). I then complete all the basic edits that would normally be done in Camera Raw or similar. I also look for images I want to print, and flag them with a colour.

So at this stage I have the originals, and a set of edited images.

Then I create another Collection called 'shoot name Print'. The images I want to print are brought in here, again as virtual copies. I complete some more editing as needed and then export to PS for sharpening. As I save the file in PS it is brought back into the Shoot collection as a PSD.

I then export the images from the 'shoot name Edited' collection as JPEGS. They are exported to a folder which is a sub-folder of the main import folder for the shoot. You can then syncronize the folder to bring the images into the LR library.

This folder of JPEGS is used for web display, e-mails etc.

Hope this helps.

The bottom line is that you can keep what you want, which is separate sections for images edited for different usage, but LR will let you do it while using way less space because of the Virtual Copies.

Potus5

• http://
RAW Workflow with LR
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:32:18 pm »

Jeremy, Pelao, etc

thanks for the information - much appreciated. I see Martin Evening in his book on Lightroom also recomemnds a system appraoch similar to Pelao's.

Thanks again.

Pelao

RAW Workflow with LR
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 05:40:17 pm »

Jeremy, Pelao, etc

thanks for the information - much appreciated. I see Martin Evening in his book on Lightroom also recomemnds a system appraoch similar to Pelao's.

Thanks again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189761\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Does he now?    

I have his Photoshop book, and found it useful. I think I will have a look at his LR book based on your comments, because I bet his approach is a lot more refined than mine!
Pages: [1]   Go Up