Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H2F Update  (Read 30025 times)

BJNY

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 09:57:05 pm »

:Thinking out loud:

Is the H2F usable as a back-up body for an H3DII-xxMP ?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:01:24 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

Nick-T

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 10:28:19 pm »

Yes, the only thing you will miss out on is ultra-focus (where the body is matched to the back). You can however order a spare body at the same time of your H3D purchase and get it matched for ultra focus if you wish.
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

TechTalk

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 10:37:12 pm »

:Thinking out loud:

Is the H2F usable as a back-up body for an H3DII-xxMP ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, but you can buy spare bodies for H3D/H3DII models. H3D models have the body and electronics for focusing calibrated and matched to the individual back and CCD in order to achieve the tightest possible tolerance and accuracy in focusing. You can order a spare body at the time an H3DII system order is placed or order a spare body at a later date by returning the original system for calibration and matching with the spare body.

The H2F is a generic body made to +/- tolerance specifications to be mated to a generic film or digital back that is also made to +/- tolerance specifications.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 11:02:27 pm »

Still don't get it....
So now you have to buy an identical camera (with another name) to benefit of these advantages like correction etc...
Isn't a firmware update the logical step? Cheaper, faster.....

Oh my....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188696\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry that you "still don't get it" Samuel.

How did you read the original post and come to the conclusion "So now you have to buy an identical camera (with another name) to benefit of these advantages like correction etc..."??

To repeat...  UltraFocus Level 1 opens H2D and CF digital backs to make use of the HCD28mm lens and the digital viewfinder HVD 90X. Owners of an H1/H2 and a CF product will be able to update their equipment to H2F capabilities so that they can also achieve the same benefits as mentioned above.

The only thing that has not been made clear yet by Hasselblad, is which components can have these capabilities added by a user performed firmware update or which may require a Hasselblad Service Center software/electronics update. That they are intent on offering broader features and functions to existing Hasselblad H bodies and CF backs is clear.

I'm not clear what the intent of the laughing face emoticon was that you added to your post Samuel, but it's good to know that you're a happy guy. A number of Hasselblad H and CF owners are happy now too! Oh My!

TechTalk

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 11:15:42 pm »

I assume once you upgrade to the new body/firmware you won't be able to use any other back other than a Hasselblad on it? 

Pete
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There is no logical reason to update an existing H1 or H2 to H2F capabilities unless you own a CF series back. No other backs (Phase One, Sinar, Leaf) have the ability to utilize the additional data provided by H2/H2F bodies to the CF backs.

TechTalk

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 11:41:30 pm »

One additional note. The following new products are currently shipping:

- H3DII-39 MS (Multi-shot)
- H2F
- Global Image Locater GPS Accessory (compatible with H1/H2/H2F + CF Series, H2D, H3D & H3DII)
- Phocus Public Beta

Shedaoshai

• http://
Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 05:16:43 pm »

Once the H2F is in the hands of dealers and end-users, I believe most of these questions and concerns will be addressed.

Regards,

any news about if this upgrade h2 -> h2f enables use of the 28mm and 3rd party backs?

TechTalk

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 06:46:07 pm »

any news about if this upgrade h2 -> h2f enables use of the 28mm and 3rd party backs?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200336\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
An H2F or an H1/H2 Conversion to H2F will allow the use of the 28mm HCD with any Hasselblad CF back. The H2F/H2F Conversion bodies also allow use of the higher magnification (3.1x vs 2.7x) HVD90x prism designed for digital sensor coverage. 3rd party backs are not supported.

To convert an H1 or H2 to H2F requires a change of circuit boards. This can be done by Hasselblad USA in New Jersey at a cost of $500.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 02:11:21 am »

So, that is already possible? Great. Mine will go out pretty soon.

erick.boileau

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 08:26:08 am »

but it will not work with Phase One backs ....

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 09:08:20 am »

I thought a converted H1/H2 to H2F would still work with 3rd party backs? Anyone of the dealers want to shine some light on that?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 09:08:48 am by Dustbak »

Shedaoshai

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 06:11:42 am »

Anyone of the dealers want to shine some light on that?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

please!

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 06:16:08 am »

please!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200707\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Y'know what ? all these model specs are getting a bit complicated.
Hassy has put more stuff out there than any one else, pretending different names meant different intrinsic capabilities, now nobody can really tell.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

samuel_js

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 06:26:53 am »

I thought a converted H1/H2 to H2F would still work with 3rd party backs? Anyone of the dealers want to shine some light on that?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The H2F will work with 3rd party backs, but with a sync cable between lens and back. The firmware won't allow electronic connection with other brands.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 08:11:13 am »

You don't understand what I am referring at. I now own a H2 which can be used with a 3rd party back without sync cable.

If I have it upgraded towards the H2F will I loose this ability and need a sync cable or will the upgraded H2 still be able to use a 3rd party back without sync cable.

I would like to know that.

TechTalk

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 11:54:25 am »

If I have it upgraded towards the H2F will I loose this ability and need a sync cable or will the upgraded H2 still be able to use a 3rd party back without sync cable.

I would like to know that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you want H1/H2 compatibility with 3rd party backs, you don't need to do anything--keep the H1/H2 as it is now. If you convert the camera to an H2F it will be an H2F--and will not have compatibility with 3rd party backs.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 12:42:20 pm »

If you want H1/H2 compatibility with 3rd party backs, you don't need to do anything--keep the H1/H2 as it is now. If you convert the camera to an H2F it will be an H2F--and will not have compatibility with 3rd party backs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200746\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You know Tech, your on to something.  I think Ford should adopt the Hasselblad plan, but just for the sake of good, sound, business profitability.

If you trade in your Taurus for a new one you get the same car, except if you want to tow a non ford branded bass boat you have to put the trailer hitch on the front of the car.

JR

TechTalk

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 02:04:16 pm »

You know Tech, your on to something.  I think Ford should adopt the Hasselblad plan, but just for the sake of good, sound, business profitability.

If you trade in your Taurus for a new one you get the same car, except if you want to tow a non ford branded bass boat you have to put the trailer hitch on the front of the car.
JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200751\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm not on to anything. I'm just letting people know what options are available. Companies make choices regarding the products they offer. Consumers make choices regarding which products they buy. I don't make choices for either one. I can only decide how I invest my own money.

In the case of the H2F, Hasselblad is offering a body that works with any CF series back to provide capabilities an H1 or H2 can't provide because they lack the internal electronics hardware required. CF back owners have the options of: 1) keep what they have now, 2) add an H2F body for $3,250 and gain additional capabilities with their current back or 3) update their current body with a circuit board change for $500 to convert to an H2F. Those are the options that CF back owners have available.

Owners of 3rd party backs will want to keep their H1 or H2 as the H2F does not support 3rd party backs. As you may recall, Hasselblad has decided to withdraw from the market of making cameras to support 3rd party backs.

Hasselblad and all other medium-format camera makers have had three options to consider in recent years: 1) continue to lose money on cameras to support products from which they derive no revenue, 2) make cameras at a loss to support products which are profitable and from which they derive revenue or 3) withdraw from the medium-format camera business completely. Hasselblad chose option #2. They could have chosen both options #1 and #2, but decided the best long term business decision was #2. This drained fewer limited resources and made it clear to consumers, sooner rather than later, that option #1 would not (and could not) continue indefinitely.

Now to get back to your hypothetical car example, if Ford lost money on every car they made with a universal bumper hitch and made money on cars with a proprietary bumper hitch--I think investors would demand that they drop the first option and focus their efforts on the second. But then again, you may feel more charitable and generous with your investment money than other investors do.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:06:12 pm by TechTalk »

JDG

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 04:39:38 pm »

I'm not on to anything. I'm just letting people know what options are available. Companies make choices regarding the products they offer. Consumers make choices regarding which products they buy. I don't make choices for either one. I can only decide how I invest my own money.

In the case of the H2F, Hasselblad is offering a body that works with any CF series back to provide capabilities an H1 or H2 can't provide because they lack the internal electronics hardware required. CF back owners have the options of: 1) keep what they have now, 2) add an H2F body for $3,250 and gain additional capabilities with their current back or 3) update their current body with a circuit board change for $500 to convert to an H2F. Those are the options that CF back owners have available.

Owners of 3rd party backs will want to keep their H1 or H2 as the H2F does not support 3rd party backs. As you may recall, Hasselblad has decided to withdraw from the market of making cameras to support 3rd party backs.

Hasselblad and all other medium-format camera makers have had three options to consider in recent years: 1) continue to lose money on cameras to support products from which they derive no revenue, 2) make cameras at a loss to support products which are profitable and from which they derive revenue or 3) withdraw from the medium-format camera business completely. Hasselblad chose option #2. They could have chosen both options #1 and #2, but decided the best long term business decision was #2. This drained fewer limited resources and made it clear to consumers, sooner rather than later, that option #1 would not (and could not) continue indefinitely.

Now to get back to your hypothetical car example, if Ford lost money on every car they made with a universal bumper hitch and made money on cars with a proprietary bumper hitch--I think investors would demand that they drop the first option and focus their efforts on the second. But then again, you may feel more charitable and generous with your investment money than other investors do.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lets think about this, if Hasselblad is losing money on every H2 they produce then the solution to that problem is not to invest more money in a product line that will sell in lower number.  This however is what they have done so they must still be taking a loss on every camera.  (if not even more of a loss)

Why not simply charge a price that makes the camera profitable?  The financial aspects of their decision to "upgrade" the camera do not seem to jive their publicly announced reasoning.  I can understand that they want to force people into their back system based on the popularity of their cameras, but that doesn't make it a good marketing move.

Honestly I feel bad for Hasselblad dealers who have to try and make it sound like a good decision on Hasselblad's part.

TechTalk

Hasselblad H2F Update
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 04:47:16 pm »

Y'know what ? all these model specs are getting a bit complicated.
Hassy has put more stuff out there than any one else, pretending different names meant different intrinsic capabilities, now nobody can really tell.
Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
- H1= Original Model (could be converted to H2 with circuit board change for $500). Supports film magazines and any digital back made for H1/H2 (except CFH which gets power from H2 body). Discontinued and replaced by H2.

- H2 = New circuitry to allow power from camera battery grip to power CFH back and transfer lens data into image file for automatic lens correction with CF series backs (can be converted to H2F with circuit board change for $500). Supports film magazines and any digital back made for H1/H2. Discontinued and replaced by H2F.

- H2F = New circuitry to enable use of 28mm (with CF series backs) and HVD90x viewfinder. Supports CF series backs and film magazines. No support for 3rd party backs. Current product.

- H1D/H2D/H3D/H3DII = Sold as complete DSLR packages only. H3DII is current with 22mp/31mp/39mp/39mp multi-shot versions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up