Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why doesn't bridge show the images?  (Read 13352 times)

ed_lumen

why doesn't bridge show the images?
« on: April 10, 2008, 08:46:02 am »

i have to deal with these large files, so i need to identify them. hard without a browser to display them. forget acdsee with those big ones, but why even bridge (set to read up to 3gb-files) doesn't i do not understand. (all files are adobeRGB)

any ideas? any better?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:47:40 am by ed_lumen »

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:51:05 am »

Make sure you have the latest ACR raw plug in.  You're probably able to open these files in ACR, but sometimes you can do that with a less than current converter, but still can't pull the previews out.

Just a guess...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:51:26 am by Tim Gray »

ed_lumen

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 09:05:02 am »

there are no raw's, just scanned tifs...

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:16:02 am »

there are no raw's, just scanned tifs...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188435\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have a problem with Bridge, too.  After Bridge generates high quality thumbnails and previews for my RAW and Tiff files (which range from 8Mb to 36Mb), if I then process one of the RAW files, or alter one of the Tiffs, I get the same generic thumbnail when I go back to Bridge.  Bridge does not automatically generate the preview/thumbnail for the image, no matter how long I wait.

I have my ACR and Bridge preferences set to Generate High Quality Thumbnails, and to distribute sidecar files to the current folder whenever possible.  One forum member suggested making a folder specifically for the purpose of dragging the generic thumbnails to it, waiting for the HQ thumbnails to be generated, and then dragging them back to your work folder.

I also find that after selecting one or more of the generic thumbnails, I can go to the Edit menu and click on Generate High Quality Thumbnails.  However, sometimes that choice remains grayed out.  Go figure.

ed_lumen

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:01:22 am »

and not only that: it also does not show changes in size etc. - so, if you do not care well you may delete the wrong file. bridge is worse than anything i have seen in displaying files and their data. but: what is there to replace it (for files up to 1gb)??

KeithR

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 05:43:37 pm »

and not only that: it also does not show changes in size etc. - so, if you do not care well you may delete the wrong file. bridge is worse than anything i have seen in displaying files and their data. but: what is there to replace it (for files up to 1gb)??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188452\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My question is why are you making such HUGE scans? What is your procedure for scanning? Are these from prints or film? It seems that your computer is choking on file sizes.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

ed_lumen

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 06:01:18 pm »

they could be bigger really. it is just the minimum for 1 x 1,5m-prints in 16bit. drum-scanned from 5/7''-negs.

so adobe doesn't feel this is appropriate? well...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 06:48:49 pm »

any ideas? any better?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Assuming you have set the Bridge preferences to process previews for files over a certain size (it seems all the ones that won't preview are over 750MBs) have you given Bridge enough time to actually try to process the previews? Do you have your Photoshop File Handling Preferences set to Always Save full size image previews? If you don't save a full size image preview, Bridge has to read the entire file to parse the image preview which can take a really, really long time...

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 05:42:32 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188452\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Worse than anything else!   I've always found Bridge quite good in that sense, not so good from a bug free point of view sadly.
Not exactly sure what you mean by not displaying 'changes in size' as oposed to size. But Bridge can display 20 different types of information about the file, though only 4 at a time in whatever order you want. It also has a details view, which gives you, well a few more details.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 07:34:29 am »

Assuming you have set the Bridge preferences to process previews for files over a certain size (it seems all the ones that won't preview are over 750MBs) have you given Bridge enough time to actually try to process the previews?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188555\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've found it needs a good ten minutes to load a large panorama. David

CynthiaM

• http://www.cynthiamerzerphotography.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 10:53:25 am »

Assuming you have set the Bridge preferences to process previews for files over a certain size (it seems all the ones that won't preview are over 750MBs) have you given Bridge enough time to actually try to process the previews? Do you have your Photoshop File Handling Preferences set to Always Save full size image previews? If you don't save a full size image preview, Bridge has to read the entire file to parse the image preview which can take a really, really long time...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188555\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gee, Jeff, you come in handy.  

I called Adobe tech support months ago, for the same problem, only with .psds, not tiffs.  The tech that I got on the phone told me that the reason for the problem was because the files were too big, but left out the rest of the equation; namely, your solution as per above.  Followed your instructions; worked like a charm!

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 10:54:19 am by CynthiaM »
Cynthia Merzer
[url=http://www.cynthiame
Pages: [1]   Go Up