Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 New APS user today!  (Read 2047 times)

Charles Gast

z3100 New APS user today!
« on: April 10, 2008, 08:28:41 am »

I will start using APS today and I am wondering if anyone has any caveats with regards to quirks or tips in using it.
I am curious to see if APS provides a better profile on my machine than the HP canned profile  for the HP Hahnemuhle fine art smooth media.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:59:39 am »

I will start using APS today and I am wondering if anyone has any caveats with regards to quirks or tips in using it.
I am curious to see if APS provides a better profile on my machine than the HP canned profile  for the HP Hahnemuhle fine art smooth media.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188425\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The only thing to think about is naming your new profiles with APS and above all , notice what you set the Gloss Enhancer to BEFORE printing. You should know by now, two profiles are created , one with the setting you used, the other being an approximation which isn't that close.
Unless something has changed, APS profiles will be more blue in the reds, so different yes on matte but not necessarily better. All other photo surfaces will be though....

DotCom Editor

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:44:49 am »

Unless something has changed, APS profiles will be more blue in the reds, so different yes on matte but not necessarily better. All other photo surfaces will be though....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188433\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Neil, I'm interpreting between the lines of your response. I'm considering upgrading my base model Z3100 with the APS add-on, part # Q6695A. Are you suggesting that it's not worth spending the dollars or euros? I'm using only HP Hahn SFA and HP ID Satin so far, though I'd really like to live dangerously and expand my horizons. Alas, I read so much conflicting material about what papers are great with the Z and which are not, I don't know which to try next!

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:52:25 am »

Neil, I'm interpreting between the lines of your response. I'm considering upgrading my base model Z3100 with the APS add-on, part # Q6695A. Are you suggesting that it's not worth spending the dollars or euros? I'm using only HP Hahn SFA and HP ID Satin so far, though I'd really like to live dangerously and expand my horizons. Alas, I read so much conflicting material about what papers are great with the Z and which are not, I don't know which to try next!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I fully and whole heartily recommend the APS package. I wouldn't be without . IT is what makes the Z the better printer. Just as in my review, matte media for whatever reason profiles quite differently than the built in profiler. Neither are accurate, neither are perfect. I prefer the built in for matte papers that's all. For all other media APS works incredibly well, just as good as PRofile Maker, a kit that costs a lot more than APS yet the profiles are the same. After I profile I do sometimes create different versions in PRofile Maker by setting the white point to the viewing condition. Ask anyone with PM and they can drag and drop your APS profile on PM 5 and recreate the profile for the display lighting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up