Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 and Silver Rag  (Read 2180 times)

Charles Gast

z3100 and Silver Rag
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:30:16 am »

I had to replace the formatter in my z3100 and I cannot remember which setting I used for this media when I originally set it up. Fine art pearl I do remember. What I am not sure of is whether it was just the plain fine art pearl or if it was the more ink or less ink setting.
Does anyone know which I should use?  It would save me having to calibrate and profile then print all three ways to find out!

Thanks,
Charlie

Andy_Mac

z3100 and Silver Rag
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:08:17 am »

Hi Charles

I use the more ink option of the fine art pearl settings with Museo's Silver Rag - gives great results. :-)

deanwork

z3100 and Silver Rag
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 01:59:49 pm »

That is the setting that I use and is appropriate but  as in all other settings,  it has a lot of bronzing which I would not call great. A lot of bronzing, as with ALL the other "fiber gloss" media. The Ilford Gold has the worst in my experience by far, though it looks great otherwise and the price makes it worth using for some things. The Innova Semi-Matte and Ultrasmooth Gloss have the least bronzing and great gamut, but both still need spraying in my experience, especially with black and white work that is not behind glass.

I'm not really faulting HP for this bronzing as their Satin rc looks perfect, absolutely perfect. The bronzing problems are with the papers. Epson K3 does the same thing..look at it at an angle and people say "oh its too digital looking" and they are right. They do not look like gelatin silver prints because they have significant bronzing that gives an almost gloss differiental quality the way it outlines shapes between shadows and highlights.

Luckily for me I'm not seeing any roller marks or star wheel marks on any of the papers except for the Harmon high gloss fiber that I don't like anyway.

So, I have to spray this gloss fiber stuff with Premier Art spray and I'm not happy about that at all so I am going to avoid all these papers. Hopefully HP will come up with a great paper this year that is doesn't cost a small fortune and has smoothness comparable to  their Satin rc. No one has invented the perfect gloss fiber coating yet and  I couldn't dream of affording these papers in larger sheets or even rolls anyway. They are charging us way to much (besides Ilford) to be guinea pigs with this stuff. Epson's "revolutionary" Exhibition Fine Art is no different than the Innova USGLoss that has been around for some time now. Same bronzing.

john

Hi Charles

I use the more ink option of the fine art pearl settings with Museo's Silver Rag - gives great results. :-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188437\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up