Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone used the Leica R 19mm on FF Canon?  (Read 4421 times)

Paul Kay

• http://
Has anyone used the Leica R 19mm on FF Canon?
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:54:40 am »

Has anyone got experience of this combination? I don't find Canon's 20mm to be a particularly good lens but have an application for which I need a wide fixede focal lens. Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

theophilus

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 05:50:38 pm »

From what I have read the Leica 19mm is very good but may not work depending on which body you are using.  The mirror could strike the rear element of the lens so do your homework first.  fredmiranda.com alternative forum is a good resource, as well as 16-9.net.

I have the Olympus 21mm f/3.5 which is very good as well.

Conner999

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 06:52:23 pm »

The 19 latest version is #$%^ stellar on a FF Canon.

BUT it must be modified by filing down the rear element shroud - for any FF Canon. It must also be done VERY carefully as the tolerances are silly fine and any particles getting into the lens will cost 3x that of a normal CLA to fix.

This is a quick snap from the latest 19/2.8 focused on the eyes from say 3 ft away. No landscape, but will give you idea of sharpness and bokeh.  A good used price is roughly $1500 or lower.

Conner999

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:08:50 pm »

Should also mention shot was taken wide open, hand-held and the distance was probably more like 2' from front element to snout.

The black area or 'vignetting' you see at bottom frame was caused by the mirror 'just' (and I mean just) grazing the surface of the rear element shroud. While the mirror always plowed thru, the resulting 'graze' slowed down the mirror just enough to get it out of sync with shutter.

The lens in question was borrowed from a friend for testing. During the EOS modification process he'd dropped some metal particles into the helicoid and had to send the lens for repair. During the repair, Leica kindly repainted the rear element housing where he'd filed it.

When you do the mod, it's a matter of taking off JUST enough metal to do the job for your camera+adapter combo. Why push your luck any further than you have to?  However, in this case, the thickness of the new paint combined with a miniscule difference in the thickness of my EOS adapter vs. his (different make) caused the problem with my mirror.

The model II version of the 19mm (the only model to consider) behaves much like a 10mm wider version of the famous Leica 28mm/2.8 (mod II). SHARP starting WO, color reproduction very 'as remembered' (vs over-top reds and yellow greens from Canon), resolution of micro detail stunning -- with some weakness near frame edge. Clarity and transparency typically Leica/Zeiss - much like looking at a well-lit transparency.

Lens is a very compact and smooth focusing. Floating element very handy. Built-in filter turret is neat, but of little value in the digital B&W conversion age. Hood is a secure square snap-on type with a hood cover.  MTF data and analysis can be downloaded from Leica.

Leica R-EOS Adapters with eproms custom encoded for (in this case) "19mm F2,8" for exif use and to activate focus confirmation on your Canon can be purchased for roughly $70 from 'happypagehk' (on eBay).  Odd name, but Rudolph is a well respected adapter fabricator out of Hong Kong. Delivery to eastern Canada for me was 1 week.

I shoot almost exclusively Zeiss (Contax and Hasselblad) and Leica on my 1Ds2. Now that I have a 28/2.8 Mod II, the 19 is next on my WA wish list. The Nikon 14-24 with the upcoming G adapter (or a homemade alternative) would be better cross frame and roughly the same price as a used 19, but is a little to 'indiscreet' for my tastes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:34:04 pm by Conner999 »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 06:46:28 am »

I have the leica R19mm and I'm using it on my 1DsMk2 and now on my Mk3. It is a very good lens. It was my standard wide, till I got my hands on a zeiss 21mm.

Both are very good lenses.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

DesW

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 03:01:59 pm »

Has anyone got experience of this combination? I don't find Canon's 20mm to be a particularly good lens but have an application for which I need a wide fixede focal lens. Any comments or suggestions welcomed.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good day,
 The 19mm Leica-outstanding sharpness/detail-- extreme corner coverage not as good as the  discontinued Zeiss 21mm.

5D--will not work--mods needed

1Ds Mk2--Vignettes without Mod--needs this

1Ds Mk3-- Works without Mod--but advisable--JUST skims Mirror

Att Pic   Cutoff samples-SS only.

I have sent the above Bodies plus  Focus Recognition adaptor to a"Modder" in PA -I'll report  when I get them back.

He assures me they will work with the Lens

[a href=\"http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/team201/Picture_21.jpg]http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/team201/Picture_21.jpg[/url]

DesW

Paul Kay

• http://
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:13:07 pm »

Thanks all - very useful. I'll start looking out for 19mm and see what I can come up with.

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

wow, really interesting. what about the 21 mm leica 3cam lens. Is it any good, colors, bokeh, sharpness...?

It is quite cheap used, so I was wondering...
Pages: [1]   Go Up