Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what pc for 39mp-shots for big prints?  (Read 4267 times)

ed_lumen

what pc for 39mp-shots for big prints?
« on: April 09, 2008, 04:28:23 pm »

i am configuring my next pc for my coming mfdb-equipment to make more 1.5 sq.meter-prints. what would you recommend? is quad core the way? on a 32 or 64bit sytem? what about the asus p5wdg2 prof? is the graphic-card important in this non-3d-field, and if: is a gf 8500gt 512bm passive a good choice? just to not buying totally wrong stuff here ...

thank you so much ;-)

condit79

• http://calebcondit.com
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 02:39:54 am »

Your video card will make a difference if you have more than one screen, and large screens on top of that.  It will also make a difference for some DAM software, such as Aperture, that use a lot of video card memory.  Do you shoot 2000 pictures in a day and need to quickly edit them all, or are you a landscape shooter that may do 200 shots in a day?  

I´d say get the fastest processors you can get, a mac pro, at least 8 gigs of ram and a decent video card.  Spending more on your computer means you spend less time in front of it.  Oh and don´t forget a decent backup system.  I have a mixture of things going on, between external hard drives for instant access, to online backups of my most sellable images.  That´s a whole different can of worms, though.

Oh and about 64 bit, photoshop doesn´t yet support 64 bit to my understanding and you´ll have all kinds of driver issues.  Honestly, just get a solid system together.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 02:41:54 am by condit79 »

ed_lumen

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:28:11 am »

i am a pc-fan ;-). and i do not shot 2000, nor 200. i can count the days when i did shoot 20 on 5/7'' or 8/10''. can you give me hints where to securely store data online? and any pc'er how to adress more than 4gb of ram?

dankeschön!

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 05:38:24 am »

i am a pc-fan ;-). and i do not shot 2000, nor 200. i can count the days when i did shoot 20 on 5/7'' or 8/10''. can you give me hints where to securely store data online? and any pc'er how to adress more than 4gb of ram? 

8Gb adderssable and  and two dual core sockets for £90?

http://www.memory-express.co.uk/index.aspx...gabit+Ethernet+
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:22:49 am »

64-bit will let you address more than 4GB of RAM, so that's definitely recommended, as is buying as much RAM as you can afford. 8GB is not overkill. Even if you have a 32-bit version of Photoshop that can only use 3GB of RAM, you can max out Photoshop's RAM usage and still have plenty for system usage and plugins (which often use RAM outside the area Photoshop reserves for its own use).

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:36:33 pm »

64-bit will let you address more than 4GB of RAM, so that's definitely recommended, as is buying as much RAM as you can afford. 8GB is not overkill. Even if you have a 32-bit version of Photoshop that can only use 3GB of RAM, you can max out Photoshop's RAM usage and still have plenty for system usage and plugins (which often use RAM outside the area Photoshop reserves for its own use).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188461\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ed

I used to do my work on 2GB RAM and kept hitting the wall every time I  attempted to work on a multiple (5+) image from my 1Ds II for a panorama.  I got smart (sort of) and went to a much larger configuration (light dim in the neighborhood when I power this thing up).  I went to a Dell Precision 690 Mini-Tower:

•   Dual Core Xeon Pro 5050, 3.ooHz 2x 2mb L2 Cache 667MHz
•   2nd Processor, Dual Core Xeon Pro 5050, 3.ooHz 2x 2mb L2 Cache 667MHz
•   8GB, DDR2 ECC SDRAM 533MHz
•   Quad monitor config w/ 2X128MBPCie x16 NVidia Quadro NVS285 cards in graphics riser, 4DVI
•   2 160GB Serial ATA 10K RPM Harddrives (I later added to 750GB Harddrives for a total of 4)  I use one of the 160GB drives as my scratch drive.

I am running 2 Dell 24" monitors as well as a Wacom Cintiq 12WX with no problems.

I've had this system since July 2006 using Win XP Pro 64 then changing over to VISTA Ultimate 64 in Dec 2007.  I've found that the system just appears to run smoother and maybe just a little faster since going to VISTA.  The only complaint I have is Epson not keeping up with VISTA and loosing some minor things I had gotten used to when working on my 4000 and 9800.

I process large images to include in excess of 30x60 panoramas without any problems whatsoever.  I use CS3 and after talking to the Adobe techie I've got the RAM set at 87% which is 2897 and the entire scratch drive (the 160GB 10K RPM), I have never encountered a memory problem.  All three monitors are calibrated.  Almost forgot to add - I also have an older Buffalo Terastation (2TB) that I also use for storage while backing-up on DVD's.

My files from the camera (P30+) can be quite large, especially when I use the 28mm lens; I've worked up a multiple image of the Grand Canyon using 4 shots from the 28mm that didn't task the memory at all.

It hasn't been all rosy with the system with the largest problem being the drivers.  I had this system built in 2006 and it took me several weeks to get all the drivers I needed to work my printers etc.  I was still using Win XP Pro 64 last year when I brought a new laser printer and try as I might I couldn't get it to work properly with Win XP that was the deciding factor to switch to VISTA.  At least the drivers were there for VISTA.

Do you need all this?  That not up to me.  What I recommend is that you get the faster computer you can afford and stuff it with as much RAM as it will hold (and you can afford).  Add a kick ass graphics card(s) that will allow you to run multiple monitors.  Go for fast harddrives (I think you can get 15k RPM now) and think about having one for a dedicated scratch disk.  It'll be great when Adobe goes to 64 bit for Photoshop I think I read that Lightroom (beta) will not support 64?  If that's true the Photoshop can't be too far behind.  

don

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:27:59 pm »

as much ram as you can afford? really?? I would think 6-8 MAX would be sufficient w/ enough scratch disk space...

condit79

• http://calebcondit.com
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 01:51:15 pm »

about storage, I have 500 gigs with my webhosting that´s shared with a graphic designer friend. I just have a folder up online for storing those important shots.  Photoshelter has some interesting options as well if you want to sell prints or stock with your images and have them running as a page on your website, really customizable so it integrates perfectly with your design.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 01:16:48 am »

as much ram as you can afford? really?? I would think 6-8 MAX would be sufficient w/ enough scratch disk space...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not long ago, I decided to load Vista 64 on a server class machine, before it was eventually deployed - 64GB RAM.  It was *very* cool loading several dozen large 150MB tiff files into Paint.net (running 64bit) with no disk paging . . .

Buy as much RAM as you, your wife or accountant can stand

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 04:31:48 pm »

Not long ago, I decided to load Vista 64 on a server class machine, before it was eventually deployed - 64GB RAM.  It was *very* cool loading several dozen large 150MB tiff files into Paint.net (running 64bit) with no disk paging . . .

64GB RAM?  WOW I thought 8 was good and actually been thinking of doubling that to 16 but 64GB is just way cool.  

don
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:33:16 pm by Iron Creek »

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 04:48:29 pm »

Anyhow, I've decided to finally switch away from the PC for the following reasons.

0) I've had mac laptops for the last couple of years and they have been better than any PC laptop I've owned.

1) The Mac Pro with 8 cores is actually a very competitive price compared to me building something of similar power, especially if there is an operating system to be paid for. Currently I've found the intel 'skulltrail' mobo + 2 quad Xeons and some RAM and a suitable PSU to be getting close to the price of a Mac Pro

2) I'm fed up with having a virus checker etc. own one of the cores on my PC.

3) I'm fed up with having to reinstall windows and all my apps either every year when windows seems to get corrupted or when I upgrade a processor or motherboard

4) I can run all the boring old business applications in parallels at pretty much native speeds.

5) Leaf's software runs better on Macs (up to now any way).

6) Raw developer runs on Macs and isn't available on PC's.

Just a thought... sometimes there is a time to just let the old ways of doing things go.

Oh...

7) If you are a PC user you probably haven't seen 'Time Machine' on the Mac. Somehow Apple have managed to make backup 'sexy' oh, and usable too...
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:20:57 pm »

I used to do my work on 2GB RAM and kept hitting the wall every time I  attempted to work on a multiple (5+) image from my 1Ds II for a panorama.  I got smart (sort of) and went to a much larger configuration (light dim in the neighborhood when I power this thing up).  I went to a Dell Precision 690 Mini-Tower:
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don, surely one Dell Precision can't suck that much power?  You want to try running a cluster of 5 quad Intel Itanium 2 number crunchers. We had to double our air conditioning in the server room just for them! Sorry just messing with you, couldn't resist.

Anyhow, I've decided to finally switch away from the PC for the following reasons.

... snipped for brevity ...

5) Leaf's software runs better on Macs (up to now any way).

6) Raw developer runs on Macs and isn't available on PC's.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's worth noting that Leaf's software isn't the only one that seems to get more attention from the developers in it's Mac incarnation than the PC version does - Hasselblad's new Phocus demo is out for the Mac, no mention AFAIK of when the PC one will come out. Just so you know that if you must go PC, then you might have to work out your own temporary PC workarounds until the latest and greatest get around to their PC versions.

Jason
Pages: [1]   Go Up