Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A sign you're getting old  (Read 7790 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
A sign you're getting old
« on: April 09, 2008, 02:04:01 am »

Hi Folks:

I was looking for a couple of old 35mm slides today and so rather than setting up the light table I just grabbed the relevant box and a loupe and sat on the living room couch, holding them up to the window until I found the ones I wanted.

I was almost done when this young woman who was visiting next door came walking up to the window, looking rather indignant.  Not sure what she was looking for, I waved politely and she came over and rapped on the door.  I opened it and she looked straight at me and asked, 'ARE YOU TAKING PICTURES OF US?'  To which I replied, 'No, I'm looking at some images that are 30 years old.  See?'  And I held up a slide for her to see.  That took the wind out of her sails and she apologized and left.

After she walked away it dawned on me that she's probably never seen a slide in her life.  Maybe I should have mentioned that I have images older than her parents...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:30:12 pm »

Hi Folks:

I was looking for a couple of old 35mm slides today and so rather than setting up the light table I just grabbed the relevant box and a loupe and sat on the living room couch, holding them up to the window until I found the ones I wanted.

I was almost done when this young woman who was visiting next door came walking up to the window, looking rather indignant.  Not sure what she was looking for, I waved politely and she came over and rapped on the door.  I opened it and she looked straight at me and asked, 'ARE YOU TAKING PICTURES OF US?'  To which I replied, 'No, I'm looking at some images that are 30 years old.  See?'  And I held up a slide for her to see.  That took the wind out of her sails and she apologized and left.

After she walked away it dawned on me that she's probably never seen a slide in her life.  Maybe I should have mentioned that I have images older than her parents...

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188132\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeah - I know! I've been looking at my earliest chromes. They're dated 1961!
Bill

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:36:55 pm »

I was born in 1970, and find it a bit disconcerting to see events I saw live on TV, like the Reagan assassination attempt and the Challenger explosion, the subject of documentaries on the History Channel.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:54:44 pm »

Hmmm... maybe these are signs we are getting old, but to me your story has a different angle: the world is getting crazier. In my youth, people would be flattered that you want to take pictures of them... nowadays they call police.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:04:09 pm »

'Why on Earth did she mistake your looking through a loupe, with using a camera?' was my thought. Doesn't she know you hold a camera at arms' length and up not to one's eye these days!  
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jgille

• http://www.juliengille.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 03:45:43 am »

Hmmm... maybe these are signs we are getting old, but to me your story has a different angle: the world is getting crazier. In my youth, people would be flattered that you want to take pictures of them... nowadays they call police.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188331\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with you. Now, it would be impossible to do "Cartier Bresson" pictures without a lawsuit.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 11:57:03 am »

That was my other thought... either she had really good sense of her own 'worth', or a really limited view of mine...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

In my youth, people would be flattered that you want to take pictures of them... nowadays they call police.

In your youth it was possible to go work a charity event with other youths without finding  a picture of you taken there placed on a billboard sometime later with ad copy that implies you're a loser.

So, yeah, I can understand why people are paranoid.

KeithR

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 06:23:20 pm »

I was born in 1970, and find it a bit disconcerting to see events I saw live on TV, like the Reagan assassination attempt and the Challenger explosion, the subject of documentaries on the History Channel.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jonathan,
In all likelihood, you didn't really see these "live" but rather video tape replays on the news. But I do remember very vividly watching a live (since video tape wasn't around yet)broadcast of Lee Harvey Oswald being led down a hallway in a Dallas police station and shot in front of an entire nation that was riveted to their television that weekend. I also stayed up late on a Sunday to watch Neil Armstrong, and a few years earlier to see a British group sing on Ed Sullivan! Ah nostalgia
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

dalethorn

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 07:32:12 pm »

I remember all that stuff, but I also remember in 1961 describing to friends in detail how someday the music and movies I like will be playable just by voice command or remote control, without the hassle of "equipment" and "discs". Well, those concerns are pretty well moot by now, but with today's dumbed-down public, I still can't purchase high-tech items that could easily be manufactured, but aren't because the bean counters don't like the margins. And BTW, I got the point immediately on the Oswald hit - something the Bigfoot channel still has a problem with 44 years later.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 08:50:25 pm »

I remember all that stuff, but I also remember in 1961 describing to friends in detail how someday the music and movies I like will be playable just by voice command or remote control, without the hassle of "equipment" and "discs". Well, those concerns are pretty well moot by now, but with today's dumbed-down public, I still can't purchase high-tech items that could easily be manufactured, but aren't because the bean counters don't like the margins. And BTW, I got the point immediately on the Oswald hit - something the Bigfoot channel still has a problem with 44 years later.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188569\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
When did the Hitler channel become the Bigfoot channel?  Thirteen and a half billion years of history not enough for them?

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 10:03:41 pm »

Jonathan,
In all likelihood, you didn't really see these "live" but rather video tape replays on the news.

The Reagan assassination, yes. But I was watching Challenger live when it blew. The same with the second plane flying into the tower...

dalethorn

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 10:26:29 pm »

Funny what a small world - my optometrist's daughter, who fixed my glasses a time or two, lost her life on the shuttle. Then in another job on the West coast, where we ate in a restaurant across from Polly's, the waitress was the sister of the teacher who died on the same flight. But I've never been to Dallas or seen magic bullets (or bigfoot or flying saucers or Helter Skelter).

Paul Sumi

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 12:59:37 am »

Thirteen and a half billion years of history not enough for them?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, you have to admit, watching the primordial soap glop away in real time is not exactly scintillating television  

Paul

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 02:41:01 pm »

Oooh, are we allowed to mention 9/11?

I really do wonder what history will make of it, hopefully it will look a little deeper into the whole thing than our own dear and fearless media has. The official version of events is a load of baloney but I guess we will never know what the real story is. Still, it would be refreshing to see the towers collapse in real time and not slow motion. There is something mighty strange about it when viewed thus.

Time to go and put my tinfoil hat on before the aliens attack.

Justin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up