Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Right time to buy a MFDB?  (Read 9217 times)

Graham Mitchell

Right time to buy a MFDB?
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 08:18:56 pm »

What Canon needs to do and might do soon is enlarge their existing sensor to be a nice 5600X5600 square.  Then you can crop it and not lose quality. Same sensor as in the SLR, just about 1/4 of its pixels taller(easily doable, really).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188320\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not easily doable. Perhaps you should read some of the threads in this forum and you will find the answers to why producing larger sensors is hugely difficult/expensive.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 08:32:40 pm »

I don't think so.
If you enlarge the sensor the Canon lenses would need to be changed to match the increase. Be well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i have both of them right in front of me- im not seeing things..  try it your self!

the h1 has got a 22mp mask in it, but there isnt a larger digital back in area.

maybe the h3d2 has a bigger finder, but mine is a stand h1.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 10:24:27 pm »

and usb on a mac is really, really slow. i shoot a few frames, then the whole shoot stops while the buffer clears.

This is a Mac-specific issue.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 10:58:55 pm »

This is a Mac-specific issue.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188347\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

but who will use a pc in an almost 100 percent mac dominated industry? i know slow usb  is a mac os problem, but canon where the ones who dropped firewire.

this is one area that canon has got worse with each generation, 1ds mk1 had a great 6 pin firewire plug that actually stayed in, mk2 had that ridiculus 4 pin plug that constantly needed repair and never stayed in, and now with the mk3 usb?

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 01:56:43 am »

Why are people insisting on Canon penetrating the MF market? This market is not even a drop on a glowing plate to Canon. Totally uninteresting for the likes of Canon if you ask me.

I would even say that Canon needs the MF market to be able to sell more of its flagship 1DSMkIII. Otherwise there isn't anything to compare you 1DsMKIIIIIIII against isn't it?

In my belief the market is much more interesting on the lower end for Canon because of the much bigger volume. I don't exactly recall what the distribution of turnover is for Canon but most is made from the lower end market. This is the part which is now dominated by small compacts. These will get severe competition of cell phones cameras.

Maybe in 20 years we will only carry a phone with a 50MP 60-fps 3CCD camera that can process everything on the fly. Who knows but I need to do stuff now

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 02:43:46 am »

Hi
At first I had reservations about the USB connection until I did projects with this camera under stress full situations. We did one editorial shoot which we had one hour & shot about 500 images & never hit the camera buffer once. We were shooting to a G5 2.3 dual ( April 1995 model ). We have done more projects with the 1DsMKIII & this is the fastest camera I have ever used! I can't shoot this fast with the Aptus 22 with my Mamiya AFDII. When Phase One has there new software up I will try that program with the 1DsMKIII. With our style of work we will shoot a few frames get the lighting set up & then start taking pictures. We just did a shoot without a digital operator & assistant shooting into the computer with no problems. This camera has given a freedom that I haven't had since the EOS 1  film camera, only its better with excellent file quality.
Denis
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 02:46:19 am by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 03:25:02 am »

I think this thread has gone waaaay off topic by now.

Thomas, my 2cents on this is:
- If I had been the one who owned the Contax 645 + P25, I would consider it to have been a *major* mistake to have sold it. Sorry.
- To my mind, if I had the choice in front of me, between the Contax 645 + P25 versus the 1Ds MkIII, I'd go for the Contax+P25. No doubt. Even now. What am I shooting? A Bronica SQ-Ai/SQ-B body with an Hasselblad Ixpress V96C, mostly due to affordability. Would I keep this even if I were offered a 1Ds MkIII? Yes, I would stick with the V96C, but that's just me. I'd like to upgrade to a 132C one day or something similar, but I'm not in a hurry.
- I personally, don't see any fundamental benefit to me in all that frames per second, weather sealed body, etc.

But this is my opinion. Ultimately you've got to figure out what you need and what will help you produce the sort of pictures you want to produce. If you think that you'll still have that hankering to go medium format digital even after you get that "interim" 1Ds, then it rather seems like it was a waste of money. If you are in a location where you can go and try out medium format digital gear, I'd say just go and try it. If you get that, "Oh, this is exactly what it's all about!" feeling about it, then don't waste time, don't waste money, go medium format digital. No intermediate stops in between.

That's what I think.

Jason

I am facing the problem, which has been discussed in great depth. BUT... i still can't find an answer. I have been shooting film until 2003, first on a contax 645, then on the H1 and had to move to digital in 2004. Sold all my MF gear and got myself 2 canons 5Ds and all the necessary primes. So far everything went fine. Now that canon has released its ds MKIII I would very much like to upgrade. But in which direction?

I would love to shoot MF again: the image quality, the bigger viewfinder etc.
But I also love the convenience of my canon gear, although the lenses beneath 50mm ar really bad.

So whats an (affordable) option?

- refurb P1 with a Mamiya 645
- wait for the new P1-Mamiya camera
- H3?
- leaf aptus 22 with mamiya/contax/H2

or just go for the MKIII in the meantime?
will the MkIII be a real noticable step from the 5D in image quality?

i went to calumet the other day and had a look at the new hy6. lovely camera, but way to expensive and who knows if rollei is going to stay in business?

Sorry if I ask the same questions like so many others before, but it is really a difficult one.
With a lot of money involved.

thank you for any help or links
thomas
www.dashuber.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 07:36:34 am »

i have both of them right in front of me- im not seeing things..  try it your self!

the h1 has got a 22mp mask in it, but there isnt a larger digital back in area.

maybe the h3d2 has a bigger finder, but mine is a stand h1.

paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188326\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, you are correct with the focus screen with the mask... I replaced mine with the ones wo/the mask. My apologies. I have  39mp, but the crop is probably the same, no? Be well.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up