Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac too bright  (Read 14762 times)

ejmartin

iMac too bright
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 10:07:19 pm »

I did try shades but seeing that none of the trusted commentators on this forum mentioned it, decided to give it a miss. Also, when I tried profiling my monitor while running it the brightness seemed to flash on and off. Not good.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmm.  Doesn't do that for me.
emil

Scott Martin

• Onsight
iMac too bright
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 10:59:04 pm »

when I tried profiling my monitor while running it the brightness seemed to flash on and off. Not good.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think the intended procedure is to calibrate and profile your display and lastly impliment shades as the final step to get the desired luminance.

I'm impressed with shades and although I don't like the idea of decreasing luminance via the LUT, think it has it's place. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing an option to do this in advanced display calibration packages (jack?). Sometimes a display is just too bright and you don't have the option of increasing the ambient or viewing lighting to match. It's also worth noting that the white point shouldn't be altered with CEDP's "white point tuning" feature if you intend to use shades.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
iMac too bright
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 06:56:26 am »

Quote from: Onsight,Apr 15 2008, 02:59 AM
I think the intended procedure is to calibrate and profile your display and lastly impliment shades as the final step to get the desired luminance.

I'm impressed with shades and although I don't like the idea of decreasing luminance via the LUT, think it has it's place. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing an option to do this in advanced display calibration packages (jack?).

Scott, there is nothing stopping a user from adjusting monitor luminance in the lut. If you select lcd brightness and gains or lcd brightness only CE will adjust luminance to your target using the lut.
Its generally not a great idea to make adjustments to the display system after profiling. You are making the assumption that the display system will respond consistently across the entire tonal range. Not something I would want to bet on. Better to set the desired target and calibrate to it.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up