Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography on main site, opinons in the forum  (Read 5871 times)

Raoul

Photography on main site, opinons in the forum
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:29:45 am »

Until some time ago, this site's content was mainly about photography. The activity of taking pictures, the gear required to take pictures, nice places to take pictures of, and yes, even presenting and discussing the results. People shared their experience.

Some more recent articles deal with opinions about the above mentioned topics, and then opinions on these opinions.

I believe that LL should keep the articles on the main site related to photography aspects only. Opinions, even Mr Reichmann's, should be posted in the forum. Such a segregation between photography and opinons on various aspects of the world would make the experience of surfing the site more interesting, and more coherent.

Just my opinon, of course.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:37:14 am »

It's his site, he owns it. I dont share his views on this subject, but I cannot complain as it has nothing to do with me.

If MR wants to put up stuff like that, fire away, it's not likely to enhance the professional and informed vibe that you may think the LL wants to give off, but there you go, such is life.

michael

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:58:35 am »

Fair opinions.

I'll just add though that there is no intended vibe. I do with this site as I please. No advertisers or sponsors to please. (Yes, there's a B&H ad, and ads for our own products, but those don't count).

The site is simply a reflection of my interests and opinions. Take away the opinions and it would by like cutting off an arm. No thanks. I like what I do and it's up to people to decide if they wish to visit and read or not.

Michael
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:59:15 am by michael »

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:39:55 am »

Fair opinions.

I'll just add though that there is no intended vibe. I do with this site as I please. No advertisers or sponsors to please. (Yes, there's a B&H ad, and ads for our own products, but those don't count).

The site is simply a reflection of my interests and opinions. Take away the opinions and it would by like cutting off an arm. No thanks. I like what I do and it's up to people to decide if they wish to visit and read or not.
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187946\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't argue with that. I will give you credit for a few things. Ist I have not seen any attempt to muzzle any views or opinions, and that counts for a lot in my books. 2nd is that whilst I dont agree on this one, and a few others, I do overall think this place is of use to people, if I didn't I would not bother to come here.

And as should always be the case, the ablilty to not agree, whilst still having some respect, vital in forum debates.

I know you get some income off this site, as do many others. No problems with that at all, fair play. I assume Ken Rockwell does as well.

I have a pal that thinks Hilary Clinton is sexy, I don't share that myself, but I am still friends with him! lol

Daniel Arnaldi

• http://www.danielarnaldi.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 10:42:59 pm »

For some time Ken Rockwell and other snake oil salesmen have carved out a reputation for themselves as a source of useful information for many beginning photographers, and attracted more attention than they should have because of their showmanship, hyperbole and gross oversimplification, rather than for the truth of what they said. His audience are partly to blame because they too often want things kept simple, and Ken Rockwell can be counted on to give you what you want to hear not what you need to hear!

If you think I'm exaggerating go to his website and read his views on color spaces and shooting in RAW, his horseshit views would be hilarious if they weren't being taken seriously by so many.

So what you might think, if you know better you laugh it off and move on, but what if you don't know better? It doesn't stop with Rockwell's website, many will take what he says and repeat what they read, misinforming many more witless haps until what started off as misinformation becomes a guiding principle before finally becoming an accepted myth.

Far too many times people have repeated to me as a fact the very same lazy arse, ignoramus, opinions that Rockwell spouts, completely unaware that they have been sold a useless pile of ideas, and my how they try to defend their held views.

There is no equivalent of the TV show Mybusters for the photography industry, if there were I'm sure it would fill a multi volume DVD set. So it comes down to people like Michael Reichmann who have the means and the knowledge to dispel these myths to a wide audience, the inaccuracy of some myths is not always self evident, especially to the uninitiated.

To say that to shoot X type photos you need an X type camera and to shoot Y type photos you need a Y type camera is not enough, as it mearly implies that your camera does matter. To expose the lie for what it is you need to be more direct so that your audience gets it.

And as for all those that are shooting down Michael for expressing his thoughts on this matter, do you live in a vacuum?? Do you really think that avoiding these kind of discussions helps anyone? What really gets up my nose about these political correctness erectile dysfunctionals is that they will say nought to the liars and cheats of this world, but as soon as someone tries to expose the lie, these no accounts will shoot the messenger!

Luminous Landscape has stood for the improvement of the understanding and practice of photography, usually that means sticking to the technical and creative aspects, but if a little myth busting is called for then that is perfectly in keeping with what I understand this site to be all about.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 03:27:12 am »

If you think I'm exaggerating go to his website and read his views on color spaces and shooting in RAW, his horseshit views would be hilarious if they weren't being taken seriously by so many.

The colour space one really is quite exceptionally stupid.

Oh well.
--
David Mantripp

viewfinder

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 04:08:25 am »

That Ken Rockwell has got a lot of nerve!....

........He's well on his way to destroying THIS site....

Daniel Arnaldi

• http://www.danielarnaldi.com
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 06:37:56 am »

That Ken Rockwell has got a lot of nerve!....

........He's well on his way to destroying THIS site....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188395\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This isn’t just about Ken Rockwell, although he is a stand out example of the type nonsense that is being peddled; there are others, some of whom I have met in person.

It does no harm to this site to point out when something is plain wrong, there are people out there who actually believe what he is teaching.

It seems highly improbable for someone with his resources to not be able to work what part of what he teaches is wrong, which leaves me with the conclusion that he is simply willfully misleading his readers because it makes good copy!

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 09:16:06 am »

I enjoy LL because it tends to focus more on the communication of useful information than I have found on some other sites. The value of the infomation I have learnt from this site is enormous, the thought of having to buy books, mags, courses etc............ And of course the web allows this to be done in an unstructred, organic way, picking for the info as and when needed.

MR's web format is simple, quick to load and the index system works fine for me - although some of the article regarding technical equipment etc. may now be a little out of relevance which may not be initially clear when reading them.

No advertising all over the place, things flashing up are fine, and I do tend to respect the site as MR's virtual photographic home, which we are free to enter, enjoy, learn, share our thoughts and then go on our way.

I like the essays, I don't always agree with the viewpoint, but nevertheless they normally produce some thought and then debate between myself and my wife.

I have a number of the downloads, which are a little bit like inviting MR into your space for an informal but interesting and informative experience.

However there is always a fear that the forum side of things gets "hijacked" by a small amount of folks who don't really use it in the spirit of things - I hope that this does not happen here!

Steven
image examples are at my website  [url=h

michael

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 09:55:53 am »

Don't worry. When and if the hijackers go too far they'll be asked to leave without a parachute.

Michael

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 10:16:51 am »

I really enjoy the opinions I find on the front page of this site. I would be saddened if they were to disappear to the deep dark recesses of the forums.

And, quite franky. you folks are lucky that it's Michael putting up the opinions and not someone like me. I'm not nearly as polite:

http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/words/?p=5

Michael's opinions are better informed than mine and much more civil.

adion

• http://
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 10:17:03 am »

I think that this site is fine the way it is and i must say the same about the forums, yes sometimes a couple of topics got kind of crazy but i think it's mainly because of the misinterpretation of some individuals (maybe english is not their main language, just like me) and they maybe don't get the finer details of what MR is trying to say.

So LEAVE this site like it is.
Anyway, Micheal can do what ever he feels like so...if people don't like it or get offended by it, they can just leave (not that i always agree with everything MR might say, that's how it is!)

My two cents...

jorgedelfino

• http://www.jorgedelfino.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 06:02:24 pm »

I enjoy LL because it tends to focus more on the communication of useful information than I have found on some other sites. The value of the infomation I have learnt from this site is enormous, the thought of having to buy books, mags, courses etc............ And of course the web allows this to be done in an unstructred, organic way, picking for the info as and when needed.

MR's web format is simple, quick to load and the index system works fine for me - although some of the article regarding technical equipment etc. may now be a little out of relevance which may not be initially clear when reading them.

No advertising all over the place, things flashing up are fine, and I do tend to respect the site as MR's virtual photographic home, which we are free to enter, enjoy, learn, share our thoughts and then go on our way.

I like the essays, I don't always agree with the viewpoint, but nevertheless they normally produce some thought and then debate between myself and my wife.

I have a number of the downloads, which are a little bit like inviting MR into your space for an informal but interesting and informative experience.

However there is always a fear that the forum side of things gets "hijacked" by a small amount of folks who don't really use it in the spirit of things - I hope that this does not happen here!

Steven
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with you 100%!

Michael, keep the good work! like the article on video raw and the future of photo-video

Jorge
Pages: [1]   Go Up