Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 2400 photo/matte black swap  (Read 3474 times)

erictoddjohnson

Epson 2400 photo/matte black swap
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:01:55 pm »

I just bought an Epson 2400 printer last week, and I'm very happy with it so far.  However, I need to change from photo black to matte black ink, and the user's guide is not clear on what I should do with the partly full cartridge that I take out when I do the swap.  How does one store a partially used cartridge while it is out of the printer?

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:44:49 pm »

I put a piece of scotch tape over the open port of the cartridge, wrap it in a piece of paper towel and slip it inside a ziplock baggie. I have kept them this way for over 6 months, reinstalled after shaking, (of course remove the tape), and they work fine.

HTH

Rich

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:49:53 am »

I put a piece of scotch tape over the open port of the cartridge, wrap it in a piece of paper towel and slip it inside a ziplock baggie. I have kept them this way for over 6 months, reinstalled after shaking, (of course remove the tape), and they work fine.

HTH

Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187817\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto, although I skip the paper towel and scotch tape. No problems.

Paul

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 03:44:21 am »

I use the scotch tape and the ziplock baggie. No paper towel. It works great.

Bud James
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

capecodfish

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 10:27:35 am »

and be sure to shake it again before re-installing.

erictoddjohnson

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:14:17 pm »

Thanks to all of you for your advice - I'll give the tape and ziplocs a try!

Eric

dbell

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 04:17:23 pm »

Another vote for ziplock bags. It works fine for me. I would give some consideration to how often you need to swap inks and how much you print. The swaps waste a considerable amount of ink, and if you have to do them too often (and you make a lot of prints with both ink types), it might be more cost-effective for you to run two 2400s. At least that way the ink will get used for actual printing and not just end up being wasted.

--
Daniel Bell

alford

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 10:17:55 pm »

In the Reference Guide for the R2400 (it is a PDF file), in the section “Changing the Black ink cartridges to suit the paper type”, it says:

“If an ink cartridge is temporarily removed from the printer, be sure to protect the ink supply port of the ink cartridge from dirt and dust; store it in the same environment as the printer. Store ink cartridge with its label facing upward. Do not store cartridge upside down. Note that there is a valve in the ink supply port, making covers or plugs unnecessary, but care is needed to prevent the ink from staining items that the cartridge touches. Do not touch the ink supply port or surrounding area”.

Somewhere the Epson literature (I cannot find where just now) it also suggests storing the cartridge in a plastic bag.  I have been using a Ziplock type of bag for this purpose and (following what the statement above statement says) I have not covered the  ink supply port.  I usually forget to follow the advice about the label facing upward but so far (about 11 months) I have had no problems switching/storing black cartridges.
Pages: [1]   Go Up