Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf atpus75 vs Sinar emotion75  (Read 10061 times)

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
Leaf atpus75 vs Sinar emotion75
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:13:55 am »

Hi all,

I'm a photographer mainly shooting fashion, I have a rollei6008II and a SA40/3.5 for most of my works, and for editorial I use a canon 5d. Now I'm seriously considering a digital back solution because the film scanning/processing is really a wast of time and money. As long as my rollei system, I'm looking into a leaf afi/sinar hy6. I know that they both use dalsa ccd, but what's  the difference? what about their image quality, and how about compare their softwares? well I know sinar have  an evolving back, that's really attractive, in the mean time it seems that leaf wont give a evolving adaptor unless they redesign their afi...

Thanks in advance, and welcome any reply about leaf and sinar!

ps:SA40 is really amazing and my all time favourite...

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:39:39 am »

Don't get too excited about the revolving back for the Sinar or the Leaf product with respect to the Hy6/AFi. It will only work if you use the WLF. Without a doubt, the best finder solution for both Hy6/AFi platform is the 45 degree finder. The revolving mount will not work with either the Hy6/AFi as there is not enough clearance under the 45 degree finder.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 11:40:19 am by H1/A75 Guy »

dustblue

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:54:32 am »

thanks guy, since I use 6008 with the wlf, the not enough clearance under 45degree finder wont be a problem for me:)

Don't get too excited about the revolving back for the Sinar or the Leaf product with respect to the Hy6/AFi. It will only work if you use the WLF. Without a doubt, the best finder solution for both Hy6/AFi platform is the 45 degree finder. The revolving mount will not work with either the Hy6/AFi as there is not enough clearance under the 45 degree finder.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187425\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

BJNY

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 12:19:51 pm »

All of the information you seek is strewn throughout the medium format forum threads here at luminous-landscape, if you take the time to go back over the past year of posts.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:52:30 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

dustblue

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 12:55:54 pm »

hi Billy,

I do searched through out your 313 posts from now to nov.2006 but I didn't find about the comparison about atpus75 and emotion75...so if you got some conclusion, I would really appreciate that you could give me a hint:)

I read many many threads here too, it's my first post here but not first time here.

Hello,
All of the information you seek is strewn throughout the medium format forum threads here at luminous-landscape, if you take the time to go back over the past year of posts.
I have used both the Aptus75 & eMotion75lv extensively, as well as the AFi-7 and Hy6, so read my comments before I delete them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187435\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 01:39:59 pm »

Hi all,

I'm a photographer mainly shooting fashion, I have a rollei6008II and a SA40/3.5 for most of my works, and for editorial I use a canon 5d. Now I'm seriously considering a digital back solution because the film scanning/processing is really a wast of time and money. As long as my rollei system, I'm looking into a leaf afi/sinar hy6. I know that they both use dalsa ccd, but what's  the difference? what about their image quality, and how about compare their softwares? well I know sinar have  an evolving back, that's really attractive, in the mean time it seems that leaf wont give a evolving adaptor unless they redesign their afi...

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187411\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sure that you can get excellent results with both backs.

One big difference which may make up your mind is that the Sinar back uses adapters and the Leaf back has a fixed mount. This may or may not influence your decision. What it means is that you could use a Sinar back on the Rollei today (the same combination which I have) and then if you want to add the Hy6 at a later date you need only get the Hy6 adapter. You could then keep the 6008 as a backup body.

Yes, Sinar has the rotating adapter which looks very interesting and is another selling point.

The software is a matter of opinion. I haven't used the Leaf software and Sinar is releasing a whole new software package tomorrow. With this new software, Sinar will use DNG as the RAW format meaning you can pretty much use your favourite image processing software with the images.

Conner999

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 01:58:23 pm »

Another forum you may want to check is hasselbladinfo.com - has some discussion of non-H cameras and backs.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 02:14:59 pm »

Don't get too excited about the revolving back for the Sinar or the Leaf product with respect to the Hy6/AFi. It will only work if you use the WLF.

It will also work with the 90 degree finder, afaik.

dustblue

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 02:17:59 pm »

Thank you foto-z,
That's exactly the information I want to get! ummm, keep my 6008 as a backup, sound like a good choice. well I think the only problem is that here in china we have lots of phase dealers and leaf dealers, but it seems that the after sell support from sinar is somehow weak. so always wo can not get something perfect ...  

I'm sure that you can get excellent results with both backs.

One big difference which may make up your mind is that the Sinar back uses adapters and the Leaf back has a fixed mount. This may or may not influence your decision. What it means is that you could use a Sinar back on the Rollei today (the same combination which I have) and then if you want to add the Hy6 at a later date you need only get the Hy6 adapter. You could then keep the 6008 as a backup body.

Yes, Sinar has the rotating adapter which looks very interesting and is another selling point.

The software is a matter of opinion. I haven't used the Leaf software and Sinar is releasing a whole new software package tomorrow. With this new software, Sinar will use DNG as the RAW format meaning you can pretty much use your favourite image processing software with the images.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187447\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 02:37:33 pm »

Thank you foto-z,
That's exactly the information I want to get! ummm, keep my 6008 as a backup, sound like a good choice. well I think the only problem is that here in china we have lots of phase dealers and leaf dealers, but it seems that the after sell support from sinar is somehow weak. so always wo can not get something perfect ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187456\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Please contact Thierry (thsinar) about this. He is based in Thailand, I believe, and has been very helpful to many Sinar users regardless of location.

dustblue

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 02:51:28 pm »

Yes I've  already thought about that, thank you again:)
Please contact Thierry (thsinar) about this. He is based in Thailand, I believe, and has been very helpful to many Sinar users regardless of location.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187460\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 04:25:53 pm »

It will also work with the 90 degree finder, afaik.

You are most likely correct. It does look like there maybe enough clearance for the 90 degree finder. Personally, the 45 degree finder is a dream. You would think the guy who designed the 45 degree finder would have pulled his head out of his ass long enough to ask himself about clearance issues with a revolving back before he began the design. And then there are the clowns who approved the design and let it go into production  .

bryanyc

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 04:54:28 pm »

You are most likely correct. It does look like there maybe enough clearance for the 90 degree finder. Personally, the 45 degree finder is a dream. You would think the guy who designed the 45 degree finder would have pulled his head out of his ass long enough to ask himself about clearance issues with a revolving back before he began the design. And then there are the clowns who approved the design and let it go into production  .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

He is correct about the 90 finder.  And you don't seem to have read much about the 45 finder in the HY6 thread because it has been pointed out that it is just an adaptation of the old 45 finder and not a redesign.  Therefor it was not originally designed with a revolving back in mind.  That there is not a new 45 finder for the camera is sad but true.

favalim

• photograficastudio.net
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 05:21:06 pm »

Hi all,

... what about their image quality, and how about compare their softwares? ...

Before to buy the Hy6/e75LV combo I tried the Afi/75. I came from the 1Ds MKII and I was (and still now)  working into  furniture catalog photography where a lot of my direct competitors still uses 4x5 film; my main disappointing looking at my printed (cmyk) job were the color rendition of shadows, the gap of color graduality on the wood surfaces when comparing my Canon works with 4x5 jobs. Well, once I tried the Afi/75 and I opened the files I said: oh my God, we are still at the same point!! don't get me wrong, the Leaf files were a lot better than 1Ds II but they also showed to my eyes the same attitude to "close" shadows and to densify the darkest tones. This doesn't happens with Sinar files converted with Brumbear software in DNG: the closest file to film look! that's my opinion, of course.

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 07:35:52 pm »

And you don't seem to have read much about the 45 finder in the HY6 thread because it has been pointed out that it is just an adaptation of the old 45 finder and not a redesign.  Therefor it was not originally designed with a revolving back in mind.  That there is not a new 45 finder for the camera is sad but true.
Your right. I missed the adaptation bit on the other thread. I take back what I said about the designer. Then it's just a shoddy, half-ass, Marketing thing. Like you said, too bad.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 08:53:24 pm »

Dear H1/A75,

I don't know whoi told you this, but it is false and inaccurate information:

the Sinar revolving adapter DOES rotate with the 90° finder, as I had stated it already and since long ago. THERE IS enough clearance for this.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 10:11:20 pm »

Dear H1/A75,

I don't know whoi told you this, but it is false and inaccurate information:

the Sinar revolving adapter DOES rotate with the 90° finder, as I had stated it already and since long ago. THERE IS enough clearance for this.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Understood Thierry, I shouldn't have thrown the 90 degree finder into the mix. The 90 degree finder was engineered keeping this feature in mind with the Sinar Adaptor Plate. I'm sure the 90 degree finder will work fine if Leaf comes out with a revolving mount, also. It's just beyond me that they would not have re-engineered the 45 degree finder for the revolving backs. The 45 degree finder gets the photographer very comfortably involved with the subject matter, much more so than the 90 degree finder, IMO.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 10:12:11 pm by H1/A75 Guy »

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 12:51:07 am »

Before to buy the Hy6/e75LV combo I tried the Afi/75. I came from the 1Ds MKII and I was (and still now)  working into  furniture catalog photography where a lot of my direct competitors still uses 4x5 film; my main disappointing looking at my printed (cmyk) job were the color rendition of shadows, the gap of color graduality on the wood surfaces when comparing my Canon works with 4x5 jobs. Well, once I tried the Afi/75 and I opened the files I said: oh my God, we are still at the same point!! don't get me wrong, the Leaf files were a lot better than 1Ds II but they also showed to my eyes the same attitude to "close" shadows and to densify the darkest tones. This doesn't happens with Sinar files converted with Brumbear software in DNG: the closest file to film look! that's my opinion, of course.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Favalim

With regard to the Brumbaer Workflow, you bring up an often overlooked function........the quality
and color rendition of the digital representation.

Its easy to overlook this "basic" but very critical function, and  get caught up in all the features that are marketed by the different back manufacturers.

The Brumbaer DNG workflow works astonishingly well for an architectural/interior/landscape shooters...........it is interesting to learn that the Brumbaer DNG works for studio shooters that
may demand more color consistency and accuracy than location shooters

yaya

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 01:43:45 am »

Hi all,

I'm a photographer mainly shooting fashion, I have a rollei6008II and a SA40/3.5 for most of my works, and for editorial I use a canon 5d. Now I'm seriously considering a digital back solution because the film scanning/processing is really a wast of time and money. As long as my rollei system, I'm looking into a leaf afi/sinar hy6. I know that they both use dalsa ccd, but what's  the difference? what about their image quality, and how about compare their softwares? well I know sinar have  an evolving back, that's really attractive, in the mean time it seems that leaf wont give a evolving adaptor unless they redesign their afi...

Dustblue welcome on board!

My advice to anyone wishing to buy a new digital solution and who's trying to decide between two options, Is to try and compare them side by side, if possible in your own environment/ studio and   according to your typical type of work.

Specifically for the Leaf AFi along with Leaf Capture 11 the pluses to take note of are very fast capture rate (faster than any comparable camera+back system, both into CF cards and into a computer) and also the fact that the previews come up very quickly on your monitor when shooting tethered to any size screen (including working on 2 screens at the same time). There are other features that are relevant to fashion work that you will be able to appreciate during the test, I am sure, such as the Loupe tool for quick focus check on thumbnails and an effective Moire removal tool.

Hope this helps

Yair
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 01:45:54 am by yaya »

dustblue

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 02:36:15 am »

I've already contact the sinar dealer here in Beijing and I will try hy6/75lv next week. you provided the useful information, thank you  

Before to buy the Hy6/e75LV combo I tried the Afi/75. I came from the 1Ds MKII and I was (and still now)  working into  furniture catalog photography where a lot of my direct competitors still uses 4x5 film; my main disappointing looking at my printed (cmyk) job were the color rendition of shadows, the gap of color graduality on the wood surfaces when comparing my Canon works with 4x5 jobs. Well, once I tried the Afi/75 and I opened the files I said: oh my God, we are still at the same point!! don't get me wrong, the Leaf files were a lot better than 1Ds II but they also showed to my eyes the same attitude to "close" shadows and to densify the darkest tones. This doesn't happens with Sinar files converted with Brumbear software in DNG: the closest file to film look! that's my opinion, of course.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up