Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying equipment in Japan  (Read 7656 times)

lbalbinot

• http://luisbalbinot.com/
Buying equipment in Japan
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:27:29 pm »

Hi!

I'll be in Tokyo by the end of the month and I really want to buy the new Tokina 11-16mm AT-X Pro DX lens for my Nikon camera and since it's only available in Japan right now that trip will be the perfect opportunity for me.

I believe that digital camera stores over there are like Starbucks in NYC, but this specific lens I'm looking for is not that easy to find, so I'd rather go to a major retailer or to a specific place where I know for a fact that the lens is available in stock.

Any help is welcome! Thank you.

Regards,
Luis
Luis F Balbinot
luisbalbinot.com

David Hufford

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:16:36 pm »

Hi!

I'll be in Tokyo by the end of the month and I really want to buy the new Tokina 11-16mm AT-X Pro DX lens for my Nikon camera and since it's only available in Japan right now that trip will be the perfect opportunity for me.

I believe that digital camera stores over there are like Starbucks in NYC, but this specific lens I'm looking for is not that easy to find, so I'd rather go to a major retailer or to a specific place where I know for a fact that the lens is available in stock.

Any help is welcome! Thank you.

Regards,
Luis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't say that camera stores are as common as Starbucks by any means, but 2 of the biggest---not necessarily the cheapest---are BIC Camera and Yodobashi Camera. They have numerous branches in Tokyo/Yokohama/Kawasaki.

There is a big Yodobashi in Akihabara (also called Akiba now) and also in Yokohama at Nishiguchi. Others  branches may or may not have as big of a selection. One BIC Camera branch I would not recommend is the one in Ginza---poor selection, always packed, and shabby service in my opinion.

Yodobashi lists that lens on their site for about 69,000, if I remember correctly. I have not actually seen one at the shops yet, but I haven't been seeking it out either. If I were seeking that lens, I would try either the Akihabara or Yokohama Yodobashi first.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 11:18:39 pm by drichi »
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:16:12 pm »

I wouldn't say that camera stores are as common as Starbucks by any means, but 2 of the biggest---not necessarily the cheapest---are BIC Camera and Yodobashi Camera. They have numerous branches in Tokyo/Yokohama/Kawasaki.

There is a big Yodobashi in Akihabara (also called Akiba now) and also in Yokohama at Nishiguchi. Others  branches may or may not have as big of a selection. One BIC Camera branch I would not recommend is the one in Ginza---poor selection, always packed, and shabby service in my opinion.

Yodobashi lists that lens on their site for about 69,000, if I remember correctly. I have not actually seen one at the shops yet, but I haven't been seeking it out either. If I were seeking that lens, I would try either the Akihabara or Yokohama Yodobashi first.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187556\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fujiya camera in Nakano is a worth a try... Usually quite a bit cheaper even considering no duty free offered compared to the larger chains.

Take the Chuo line from Shinjuku towards Nakano, get off there, I think it's the 'south' exit (the one that doglegs, you'll know when you get there). Turn right out the exit, where there's a large taxi rank, and you'll see a mall.
Head into it, taking the first right between the fish shop, and an octopus ball shop, heading into the ally. Head down until on your left, you'll notice a shop front with camera posters, and yellow coloured motif. Bottom floor focus is Canon and point and shoot, with a little nikon gear, upstairs (head around the right side of the store to go upstairs) focus on medium and large format, and nikon gear.

They usually have a large range of second hand lenses available.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:39:05 pm »

Head into it, taking the first right between the fish shop, and an octopus ball shop

How many castrated octopi are swimming around in the sea of Japan cursing the fishermen?  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 10:39:42 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

lbalbinot

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:34:45 pm »

Thank you all very very much! You've been VERY helpful. Please let me know if any of you spot the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 lens before the end of the month, so that I know exactly where to go.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Luis
Luis F Balbinot
luisbalbinot.com

lbalbinot

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:06:12 pm »

Just to let you know that I found the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 for 66,000 Yen (about US$ 640) at an Yodobashi store near my hotel.

This lens is superb for landscape shooting, I'm amazed by the sharpness! I'm used to my Sigma 10-20 and I can clearly notice the difference. Even compared to the new Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G it's a great lens.

I'll post some pictures as soon as it stops raining around here!

Best regards,
Luis
Luis F Balbinot
luisbalbinot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up