Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 gig & 32 gig Compact Fash cards  (Read 6734 times)

nigeldh

• http://www.luminousnature.com
16 gig & 32 gig Compact Fash cards
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:19:15 pm »

I was checking out newegg.com and I see that they now have both 16 gig, ~$70, and 32 gig, ~$150, x233 CF cards. I have couple of 3.5" 9 gig IBM SCSI disks in my basement from about 10 years ago. Technology is amazing.

My 8 gig CF card stores ~567 RAW + Small, regular, JPEGs. Given the advances in storage, and the time to convert RAW to JPEG, I am now shooting RAW + JPEG for everything.

I might upgrade to 16 gig and it was only 8 months ago that I upgraded to 8 gig from 4 gig. I don't know if I would want to put all my eggs in one basket by using a 32 gig card.

An other interesting storage option is the thermaltake.com BlacX or BlacXse. They are USB 2.0 & eSATA docking stations for SATA hard disks. Take any 2.5" or 3.5" SATA internal HD, plug it into the dock, and now you have a USB or eSATA external disk. Now you don't need to keep buying the external enclosure when you need an other external HD to back-up your files onto. The downside is that the internal drive isn't in a carrier so I would think of it more for brief usage while I copied files to the external drive rather than a continuous usage external drive.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 12:37:03 am »

I might upgrade to 16 gig and it was only 8 months ago that I upgraded to 8 gig from 4 gig. I don't know if I would want to put all my eggs in one basket by using a 32 gig card.

The age old question... everybody gets their own answer!
An other interesting storage option is the thermaltake.com BlacX or BlacXse. They are USB 2.0 & eSATA docking stations for SATA hard disks. Take any 2.5" or 3.5" SATA internal HD, plug it into the dock, and now you have a USB or eSATA external disk.

Same answer as above, except carrying around a 'naked' internal drive really doesn't appeal to me!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:51:23 am »

Ah, technology!

Pinned to the wall near my PC I have a genuine 8" 3M Scotch floppy diskette, from long before the tiny 5.25" floppy that the original IBM PC used. I'm not sure just what its capacity is. Maybe something like 160 KB?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

TMcCulley

• http://
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 02:26:48 am »

Ah, technology!

Pinned to the wall near my PC I have a genuine 8" 3M Scotch floppy diskette, from long before the tiny 5.25" floppy that the original IBM PC used. I'm not sure just what its capacity is. Maybe something like 160 KB?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It would have taken an 8x10 camera to use that ala Sony and the 3.5.  FYI there was no standard size for the 8" it just depended on your software.  I got them up to a .5 megabyte under CP/M running a Z80 with 64k of ram.  If you wanted to share data you used cassette tape.

Tom

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:02:31 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186613\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is a matter of where the risk lies.

In the demanding environments where I shoot sometimes, it is frankly speaking a lot more risky to change a CF and risk to drop it down a snowy slope, than it is to have a CF failure while it stays in the camera...

You can also mitigate the risk with camera like the D3 that have a Raid 1 back up capability built in camera. I

Cheers,
Bernard

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:42:12 am »

I'm just waiting for some bright spark to realise that by packing 10 32gb cards
into an enclosure we can have a solid state 320gb hard drive which won't mind
if it's treated roughly.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 05:15:30 am »

I'm just waiting for some bright spark to realise that by packing 10 32gb cards
into an enclosure we can have a solid state 320gb hard drive which won't mind
if it's treated roughly.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Another option : put a [a href=\"http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=11/form_keyword=solid+state+drive/rd=1/mode=toms_storagegeneral/st=query]2.5" flash-based SSD[/url] in an existing 2.5" enclosure... But there's not much more that 32GB reasonably available, so far.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

01af

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 06:03:05 am »

I don't know if I would want to put all my eggs in one basket by using a 32 gig card.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186613\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well ... with this reasoning exactly people refused to buy 2 GB cards and went for 512 MB cards instead three years ago.

-- Olaf

DonWeston

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 01:00:42 pm »

...and someday a few years from now when they have 160GB cards, we will be wondering why we ever doubted 16 and 32 GB GF cards. .....I just bought a 32 GB CF card to use in my 40D and 5D, so far no problems 3 weeks later, and a couple of thousand images. .... for that matter for the size of the cards available and the lower cost, why doesn't some camera manufacturer just bury a 8-32 GB card in the body as a reserve or backup. The cameras with two slots are getting there, but really what reason is there for not even a 2-4Gb micro SD card to by buried in even a XTI size body???? ...just wondering...

sojournerphoto

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 03:51:37 pm »

...and someday a few years from now when they have 160GB cards, we will be wondering why we ever doubted 16 and 32 GB GF cards. .....I just bought a 32 GB CF card to use in my 40D and 5D, so far no problems 3 weeks later, and a couple of thousand images. .... for that matter for the size of the cards available and the lower cost, why doesn't some camera manufacturer just bury a 8-32 GB card in the body as a reserve or backup. The cameras with two slots are getting there, but really what reason is there for not even a 2-4Gb micro SD card to by buried in even a XTI size body???? ...just wondering...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186795\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, my 'phone has an 8Gb HDD built in - camera's not very good though:) sort of a slow focus holga.

A good reason not to build memory into camera bodies is that it caps the amount you can shoot before downloading. 32Gb gives about 1200 raws on a 1Ds3, so not really enough for some shoots.

Mike

DonWeston

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 04:40:27 pm »

I was suggesting as an adjunct NOT to replace removable media storage for the most part. Agreed removable is still better, but would be nice to have both useable. Memory is cheap at this point, and small ......if they can put 8-32GB in an iphone, then why not put a backup card built in to the body, would save time and speed to just be able to keep on shooting without worrying as the removable card fills up.....JMHO....;-)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 12:20:50 am »

Hey, I remember those!  I also remember things like the PDT-11, where you could go all out and get maybe 32KB of RAM!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »

carrying around a 'naked' internal drive really doesn't appeal to me![{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Things like this are very useful for getting info off HDs without opening machine up. I just bought two [more minimal] devices like these [a href=\"http://usbnow.co.uk/Adapters_&_Connectors-USB_to_IDE_Adapters/c42_46/p52/USB_2.0_IDE_&_SATA_Cable_(with_Power_Supply)/product_info.html]Adaptors[/url] for ease of swapping data around. It can do IDE 3.5+2.5 as well as sata. Would have been handy to have last week when I had to empty crap off Girlfriend's laptop when it failed to boot or stay booted. I bought an ext enclosure to do job, but it was time consuming installing and removing several times.
I'm going to use the pair to sort out data for 3 pairs of Mirrored disks after the RAID card went squiffy and it'll make tranferring the data to my new RAID 5 enclosure a piece of cake.
 As well as letting me quickly checking out the data on the 20 or so HDs I have lying around.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 05:51:06 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up