Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weminuche Wilderness CO  (Read 5442 times)

theophilus

Weminuche Wilderness CO
« on: April 02, 2008, 02:33:28 pm »

Planning a trip for the last week of July to the Weminuche Wilderness in southern Colorado.  Any specific trails, good photography locations, etc?

sbacon

• http://baconphoto.com
Weminuche Wilderness CO
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:36:53 pm »

On the NW side of the Weminuche, the Highland Mary & Verde Lakes area is very nice. You can start at either the Cunningham Gulch or Stony Pass trailheads outside of Silverton. I did a short trip last summer from Stony Pass to Lost Lake (in the same area, but a bit further). I have a trip report with images here... Lost Lake Trip Report.

The Weminuche is a fantastic wilderness - impossible to pick an area that won't amaze you at each turn. Enjoy!  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:37:30 pm by sbacon »

skibum187

Weminuche Wilderness CO
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:13:11 pm »

Pretty much any area in the Weminuche is very photogenic. The Needles/Chicago Basin area is incredible, but plan on taking the train to Needleton for access. This is probably the most popular area inside the Weminuche.  If you want the fastest and easiest access and don't want to deal with the train, Vallecito or Florida (pronounced Floreeda, not like the state) Creek trails are you best bet. If you want to get away from the "crowds" and into an area of the wilderness that is mostly overlooked, hike up the Los Pinos River drainage (also easy access) and into any number of drainages that fork off from there.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:18:16 pm by skibum187 »

theophilus

Weminuche Wilderness CO
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 05:22:38 pm »

Thanks for the responses, and great trip report Scott.

I'm looking at a 5-day trip with a couple other people who will also be there primarily for photography.  Right now I'm trying to cut down on my gear, especially lens selection, to save on weight.

theophilus

Weminuche Wilderness CO
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:02:06 pm »

Just thought I'd let anyone who cares know that I am leaving Saturday for a 6-day trip around the Elk Park to Needleton loop.

Here are details:
http://grigory.com/treks.htm

We are actually cutting it down to a 5-day trek with 2 days in the Chicago Basin.  I hope to share some decent photos when I get back.

Still trying to decide whether to take the 200/2.8L or not (2 additional pounds).
Pages: [1]   Go Up