Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get the Blacks Black in shadows....?  (Read 11070 times)

sid_v

How to get the Blacks Black in shadows....?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 03:20:08 am »

Today I rented the Hardbox, tomorrow I'll buy one for the remainder of the shoot.

Nice light, though it takes a lot of watts if your workinng full length.

We tried Frensel, grids, etc. but the box had the best shadows.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eight years back, I started learning photography with two vivitar flashes  with umbrella as diffusers and lot of tupperware modifiers. Recently stumbled upon strobist and the their evergrowing cult on flickr and got inspired to revisit the old days. The difference is, strobes are more powerful now and we have radio syncs. The things u can do with stroboscopic light is amazing. The built in zoom have a spread from 14mm to 105mm.
To get back to the topic, the bare strobe gives the dark deined shadows...definitely better than bare studio flash,  fresnel n grids. Haven't tried the hard box though. I am addicted to these strobes now and put them in the mix with hmi n studio flash  .

Snook

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 04:12:51 pm »

Eight years back, I started learning photography with two vivitar flashes  with umbrella as diffusers and lot of tupperware modifiers. Recently stumbled upon strobist and the their evergrowing cult on flickr and got inspired to revisit the old days. The difference is, strobes are more powerful now and we have radio syncs. The things u can do with stroboscopic light is amazing. The built in zoom have a spread from 14mm to 105mm.
To get back to the topic, the bare strobe gives the dark deined shadows...definitely better than bare studio flash,  fresnel n grids. Haven't tried the hard box though. I am addicted to these strobes now and put them in the mix with hmi n studio flash  .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196715\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sweet
James I take it as a very positive result if you ordered it right away??
Please let me know after some more use.... and re: any kind of example would be even greater..:+}
Thanks
Once again where I live there are no options to try anything out and I go based on reviews only on   many things, so I really appreciate the info once again..:+}
Thanks again  

Snook

Also it actually looks like plastic... is it? does the material look good... build

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 04:55:35 pm »

Sweet
James I take it as a very positive result if you ordered it right away??
Please let me know after some more use.... and re: any kind of example would be even greater..:+}
Thanks
Once again where I live there are no options to try anything out and I go based on reviews only on   many things, so I really appreciate the info once again..:+}
Thanks again  

Snook

Also it actually looks like plastic... is it? does the material look good... build
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198131\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The hardbox works, but it is kind of strange looking.  Like a Frensel witout the lens, actually you could probably make one out of cinefoil, but it wouldn't last.

It is basically a bare head stuck in the bottom of a tube shaped box, no lenses, though I believe you can add grids.

The downside is the modeling light is weak.  Too week to really use for any guide or even to focus.

We run a small Frensel next to it for focus which is somewhat approx. just like most modeling lights.

The box is made out of some kind of composite, though I guess it's as sturday as anything else.

If it worries you, then try the old Profoto Frensel if you can find one.  It was huge and heavy but probably would last a century or so.

The new profoto frensel looks like they just took an Arri turngsten, painted it black and mounted a  flash tube inside.

JR
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up