Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gray balance with polarising filter  (Read 1840 times)

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
Gray balance with polarising filter
« on: April 01, 2008, 05:00:19 pm »

Hi there, having just invested in a polariser for landscape work I shot some tests this week. As per usual I shot a gray card first (minus the filter) and set it on my back (Aptus). I shot some pics without the filter and some with to see the effects which were, as expected quite dramatic. Which is great, however there is a slight yellow cast in the shots with the filter. Do you think it'd make good sense to shoot a gray card with the filter in place or can anyone see a problem with this method? Ta

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:15:05 pm »

There are a couple of possibilities, including simply clearing haze and letting tones like warm tones through appearing that they are more saturated. There is such a thing as a warming Polarizer, ie a polarizing filter with some warming filtration added to it. What were you shooting and what do you have exactly.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

buzzski

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:18:35 pm »

Hey Kirk, thanks for such a prompt reply. I'm using a tiffen circular polarizer on a Hasselblad 80mm lens with Aptus back. As far as I'm aware there is no colour filtartion on the filter but I do take your point. So much so that I looked on their website and there description is: "Polarizers - These filters are ideal for color or contrast enhancements, removing reflections from water and glass (impossible to do electronically) while adding richer, natural color saturation" So I gues my image with the filter is richer in effect, just not the richness that I necessarily desired! Ta, Craig

Panopeeper

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:34:45 pm »

Have you made shots with different exposures, and if yes, can you observe the yellow tint equally?

It is possible, that the shot is underexposed and the lack of blue causes the yellow tint.
Gabor

buzzski

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:13:31 am »

Hi there, the exposures according to the histogram on my back are bang-on, strange... I'll take a look at my raw files again as there's bound to be one that's off and report back, ta, Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up