Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CANON BATTERIES  (Read 3941 times)

Stealthfixr

CANON BATTERIES
« on: June 30, 2005, 12:35:51 am »

When I bought my Canon 20D in April 2005, I bought an additional battery from B&H.  The battery brand was "Power2000" (B&H house brand?) and listed a slightly higher overall capacity.  The Power2000 BP-511/2 battery that arrived seemed to take a charge, but the camera would not power up with it at all--dead camera.  I returned it to B&H and got another one just like it.  I've been using the replacement for about a month, and it functions just fine.  I have not noticed any difference between it and the Canon brand battery that came with the camera.  

Due to the initial failure, I am inclined to buy Canon brand batteries in the future.  But, the Power2000 battery was nearly $15 cheaper.  YMMV.  

Good luck!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
CANON BATTERIES
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 12:03:29 pm »

For my Canon 10D I have two Canon BP511 batteries and one "CTA Digital Accessories", which has slightly higher capacity than the Canons. I got the CTA at B&H and it seems to last a little longer than the Canons and has proved completely reliable for the past year. One of my Canons seems reliable, too, while the other seems to lose its charge very quickly when not in use.

I recommend having an assortment of batteries of different brands, since even the name brand ones can fail.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

toddv@sierramountaincenter.com

CANON BATTERIES
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 12:43:07 pm »

I have the original Canon BP-511 1100mahr that I got w/ my Digital Rebel Fall/2004. I also have a BP-511a 1390 mahr and a Power 2000 from B and H. I am a mountain guide and frequently take the camera rig into the mountains on 5-7 day trips w/ some well below freezing temps. The Power 2000 never held a charge and is basically garbage. I don't know if it won't "talk" to the charger or if there is some other problem with the battery. On the other hand, the Canon batteries are great and the 1390 mahr BP-511a has never run out; even on a cold seven day trip I managed 300 shots and never switched to the back up battery. I do take care to warm the battery prior to starting a day. If it's really cold I alternate from a battery warmed in my pocket to the one in my camera. From my perspective the 3rd party batteries aren't worth the savings.
Todd V.

Evan

CANON BATTERIES
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 07:37:31 pm »

All batteries are not equal and they are actually quite complex, especially the lithium-ion.  They have built in electronics to monitor battery temperature and whatever else.  Lithium can burn very well if overheated.  That's why you need to be careful to keep the clip-on covers in place when not in use and be carefull when you put the battery in a pocket full of change or with keys.  There are also more and more cases of counterfit batteries showing up - as you can imagine, these are not likely very good or safe.  In general, you get what you pay for.  If it's good - great; if it's bad - it might burn the camera in half or worse.

Li-Ion battery link

AGMC

CANON BATTERIES
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 09:01:41 am »

I have two Canon BP-511 (7.4V 1100mAh Li-ion) batteries for my Canon 10D.  I'm going on an extended trip, away from electricity, and plan on purchasing 2 to 3 additional batteries for this trip (5 days into the boudary waters in MN).  My question is does anyone have experience with after market BP-511 batteries which are a fraction of the cost of Canon BP-511's?  I'm concerned with the after market batteries holding a charge, quality of power, and any other thing that would ruin a much anticipated adventure / photo trip.  
The other option is to go with a solar charger, but it seems that that is a more expensive and bulkier option.
Any input is appreciated!

dan212

CANON BATTERIES
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 07:47:14 am »

I bought an Aftermarket battery from Adorama. It was HALF the price of the Canon Battery and had a slightly HIGHER amps (capacity) rating than the OEM version. I can't say that I have ever used any battery to the point of failure, but the OEM and the third party Battery that Adorama sells appear to be of equal quality - higher if the Amps rating is correct. Color me completely satisfied.

giles

CANON BATTERIES
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 12:28:54 am »

I have some "Powermart" branded batteries, and they've been fine so far.  They charge reliably in the Canon charger and hold a charge well when not in use.

As noted in a previous response some of the third party batteries are not as good -- problems in use and/or with charging are not unknown.  I'd try to deal with a vendor who will take a return if the batteries do not satisfy you.

Giles

framah

CANON BATTERIES
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 04:10:06 pm »

I bought extra batteries for my 1Ds and bought after market ones. They hold the charge ok but one of them has to be pushed into the camera harder than any of my others so I can turn the lock that holds it in place. The other one of the same brand fits in ok. All in all... I would feel more comfortable with the Canon ones as I feel they are built to higher standards than the after  market ones.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up