Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 and Leopard  (Read 4924 times)

billbunton

z3100 and Leopard
« on: March 31, 2008, 06:34:48 pm »

So I ordered my Z3100ps, and it's due to arrive tomorrow.  I thought I'd get a head start and download the latest firmware and drivers.  It seems there are no leopard drivers -- for the base z3100 it only lists new paper presets and profiles for Leopard, for the PS version it won't admit Leopard exists.  (Also, the firmware listed is 6.0.0.8 for the base, and 6.0.0.7 for the PS?)

I knew APS wasn't working with Leopard yet, I didn't realize neither version of the printer would work with Leopard.  Am I completely hosed, or just missing something?

Bill

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:47:16 pm »

I guess they are playing it safe and not officially supporting Leopard for the PS driver (PPD, to be precise).  I've been using it successfully, though, without incident.  APS, on the other hand, doesn't even let you get near it with Leopard.  The update for APS is overdue.  You are correct with the two different firmware numbers.  It is a bit confusing that they are not the same, but only one digit different.
Welcome to the club.  You should be very happy with your prints.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Edhopkins

z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 06:52:32 pm »

So I ordered my Z3100ps, and it's due to arrive tomorrow.  I thought I'd get a head start and download the latest firmware and drivers.  It seems there are no leopard drivers -- for the base z3100 it only lists new paper presets and profiles for Leopard, for the PS version it won't admit Leopard exists.  (Also, the firmware listed is 6.0.0.8 for the base, and 6.0.0.7 for the PS?)

I knew APS wasn't working with Leopard yet, I didn't realize neither version of the printer would work with Leopard.  Am I completely hosed, or just missing something?

Bill
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am keeping a wiki page on the z3100ps GP (APS)

[a href=\"http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/Z3100ps+GP++MAC+OS]http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/Z3100ps+GP++MAC+OS[/url]

As far as I know some users are using the most current drivers with Leopard and one user--jon Canfield-- (see:  http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....287&hl=leopard) is using the new version of the APS with Leopard.  

I don't know what to make of it. I called the people who do the APS with Hp and they said that the new version of APS did NOT support leopard, and their web site that gives the new version says that too:

http://www.giainteractive.com/aps/EN/update.html

But Jon Canfield says he is using it.

I am waiting myself. You cannot do two versions of the Mac OS in parallels)  you might consider having 10.4 on one of your disks and booting from that to do your printing--and just keep waiting.  I am just not upgrading to leopard until things are a bit more clear.

Do Update the WIKI for "our" printer if you find out more stuff.

You got a great printer. Enjoy!

ed hopkins

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:44:40 pm »

What do you know!  I loaded the version of APS referenced above, but took it literally when that page said that it is not for 10.5 and I guess I never tested it with Leopard.  I've still been using APS with a different boot drive that runs 10.4.11.  The previous version crashed on startup, but my brief test drive with this version and Leopard just worked fine.  I'm not sure why X-Rite and HP would specifically say that it isn't for Leopard if it works, but I will continue to use it unless I find a reason not to.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

billbunton

z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:08:24 am »

Okay, I've downloaded the 10.4 drivers from HP, and the 1.32 APS from that page.  I'll give them a try this afternoon.  I've also downloaded the Windows driver, APS and firmware, just in case :-)

billbunton

z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:41:16 pm »

I installed the 10.4 driver and utilities on Leopard, and printing seems to be working fine.  There is some silliness between print utility and print monitor (for some reason a second copy of print monitor keeps starting up -- maybe to monitor my C7280?  Anyway, it always goes to "application not responding" mode).

I also went ahead and loaded the 1.32 APS I downloaded.  This seems to run, but when it goes to actually print the profile reports that it can't get the paper information from the printer.  I don't know if this is a general Leopard problem, or strictly Z3100ps and Leopard.  So it looks like I'll be doing my APS profiling from the Windows box, at least for a while longer.  I'd really like to get rid of it, but there always seems to be something that needs it!

I guess I'll be spending the next couple days profiling papers :-)

Bill

joncanfield

z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 08:34:22 pm »

I installed the 10.4 driver and utilities on Leopard, and printing seems to be working fine.  There is some silliness between print utility and print monitor (for some reason a second copy of print monitor keeps starting up -- maybe to monitor my C7280?  Anyway, it always goes to "application not responding" mode).

I also went ahead and loaded the 1.32 APS I downloaded.  This seems to run, but when it goes to actually print the profile reports that it can't get the paper information from the printer.  I don't know if this is a general Leopard problem, or strictly Z3100ps and Leopard.  So it looks like I'll be doing my APS profiling from the Windows box, at least for a while longer.  I'd really like to get rid of it, but there always seems to be something that needs it!

I guess I'll be spending the next couple days profiling papers :-)

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186254\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry I've been away for a bit and didn't respond sooner. The update works fine with the Z3100 but it does indicate that it's not compatible with the ps models. I use a standard Z3100 and it does work fine there. I have no way to test the results with the ps though.

Jon

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 09:22:14 pm »

Hi Ron,
Can you give me an unequivocal yes?

Are you using the X.4.11 HP Mac Drivers with x.5.2 Leopard with the Z3100ps (postscript version) of the printer? I wanted to be sure if you were because I wouldn't jump right in with attempting to use it if you have the z3100 (NOT PS) version. But I've got new Macs here and would love to get on with it. I'm getting ready to finish a new build up on a X.4.11 just so I could get the APS working.

WOW! I saw that you said you are using APS successfully. Is that v1.3.2 right?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Quote from: Colorwave,Mar 31 2008, 06:47 PM
I guess they are playing it safe and not officially supporting Leopard for the PS driver (PPD, to be precise).  I've been using it successfully, though, without incident.

& from a later post...
Quote from: Colorwave,Mar 31 2008, 08:44 PM
What do you know! I loaded the version of APS referenced above, but took it literally when that page said that it is not for 10.5 and I guess I never tested it with Leopard.

So long for now, TOM

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 02:12:58 am »

Hi Ron,
Unequivocal is a pretty strong word, Tom, but APS 1.3.2 has worked without a hitch for me on v10.5.2 Leopard, once I finally gave it a try.   ;~)  I've profiled papers and monitors with it and have not had a single issue.  XRite provided a solid compatibility update with this version, even if someone is afraid to call it Leopard ready for some reason.
The same can not be said for the HP's Postscript PPD.  Unfortunately, the now long in the tooth 6.0.0.7 firmware just isn't reliable for me with Leopard.  It works for a while, then crashes the printer when I send it a file (over an ethernet connection) and requires a ten minute or more hard restart.  I only use the PS driver when I really need it for graphics and find no difference in using the raster driver for photos.  HP could certainly stand to join the 10.5 party while it is still in use by mainstream customers, well, that is, for those with a Z3100ps GP.
Keep turning out nice prints,
Ron H.
-Ron H.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 02:25:28 am »

Hi Ron,

Are you using the X.4.11 HP Mac Drivers with x.5.2 Leopard with the Z3100ps (postscript version) of the printer?

That is the PS model , and that seems to be the problem for Leopard and the Z printer /APS, not the plain version.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:51:51 am »

That is the PS model , and that seems to be the problem for Leopard and the Z printer /APS, not the plain version.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187852\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What sort of problems have been reported, Neil?  The previous version of APS crashed on launch with Leopard, but as I've said, I have had no issues with 1.3.2 myself.  My problems with the Postscript driver began after I'd been using Leopard for a while, but before upgrading to the current version of APS.  I got rid of APS on my normal system and only ran it when booted from an external drive, specifically to run APS.  Thankfully, that PITA is done with.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 03:03:12 am »

What sort of problems have been reported, Neil?  The previous version of APS crashed on launch with Leopard, but as I've said, I have had no issues with 1.3.2 myself.  My problems with the Postscript driver began after I'd been using Leopard for a while, but before upgrading to the current version of APS.  I got rid of APS on my normal system and only ran it when booted from an external drive, specifically to run APS.  Thankfully, that PITA is done with.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Any problems cited on Leopard and Z drivers and or APS I've read here. I do run Leopard on my MacBook Pro but I can't test either the Z , nor APS. If there are problems with Leopard, they are probably concerning the PS models before the plain driver versions, as the updates are , so far slower to come for the PS models. That I can understand as testing the Z PS is a lot more involved than the driver level versions. I have no idea if X-Rite test APS on the PS or not. Since it is intertwined in Firmware, there are hooks to write into firmware at HP , and that will also take time for both the plain and PS models, but the PS model could be more involved.
I am not sure that Leopard is 100% sure yet, and thus for a production printer (any brand) it  might be wise to hold off for a few dot revisions like 10.5.3 or 10.5.4.

Vivid Print

z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 09:54:35 pm »

I've downloaded the version of aps right from the x-rite site and its been running fine on all of our Leopard boxes...

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 10:12:57 pm »

Hi Ron,
So will I be OK if I install the latest APS and HP PCL3 raster 5.1 driver (but not the HP Postscript driver) on computers with Leopard? Will I still be able to switch back to using the HP postscript driver of the X.4.11 Tiger workstation? I seem to remember HP recommending strongly that all drivers used over a network be of the same version, but then since I won’t be installing the PS driver on Leopard at all, this sounds like a plan. This will be new for me because I had been using the PS driver for nearly everything except a few test prints. I imagine this will be an adventure.

You can tell, I’ve been moving through Leopard installs very gingerly, and I keep looking for the HP updated drivers to appear. But you are right and I really need to get on with making some more really nice prints. When it works it’s really wonderful!

I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

Unequivocal is a pretty strong word, Tom, but APS 1.3.2 has worked without a hitch for me on v10.5.2 Leopard, once I finally gave it a try.   ;~)  I've profiled papers and monitors with it and have not had a single issue.  XRite provided a solid compatibility update with this version, even if someone is afraid to call it Leopard ready for some reason.
The same can not be said for the HP's Postscript PPD.  Unfortunately, the now long in the tooth 6.0.0.7 firmware just isn't reliable for me with Leopard.  It works for a while, then crashes the printer when I send it a file (over an ethernet connection) and requires a ten minute or more hard restart.  I only use the PS driver when I really need it for graphics and find no difference in using the raster driver for photos.  HP could certainly stand to join the 10.5 party while it is still in use by mainstream customers, well, that is, for those with a Z3100ps GP.
Keep turning out nice prints,
Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187850\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 10:35:15 pm »

Tom-
I was told not to run both Postscript and raster driver on the same machine when I first got my printer, but have since been told that this is no longer the case.  As a matter of fact, I have both on my computer and am able to pick which one (primarily the raster these days, until they issue an update for the Postscript version) as needed.  The print window that runs downstream of Photoshop is similar, but annoyingly different in the two versions.  The differences are stylistic, not functional, and seem to be the result of giving two teams the task of designing the two interfaces without coordinating between them.  Once you get used to it, I think you will find the raster driver slightly easier to use, with a couple of less clicks per print to send a file to the printer.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

ryanmfritz

z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 09:20:52 am »

I know Im off topic here guys, even though I have the same unanswered problems with Leopard. Sooo, I ve been printing off my 10.4 machine.

Lately I sent prints to the printer and they go through fine and I go (downstairs) to my z3100 and its just sitting idle?

Is there a queue somewhere I can reset or clear? I cant imagine what the issue may be here? Im able to calibrate the paper profiles so I know I communicating to the printer, but suddenly its not responding when I send a print through (even after a hard restart)...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:33:29 am by ryanmfritz »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100 and Leopard
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 10:53:59 am »

Ryan-
The Job Queue is in the left hand column of the HP Printer Utility.  The printer is not giving you any error messages?
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up