Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to attach an H3D back to a Mamiya RZ 67  (Read 9023 times)

Bernd B.

How to attach an H3D back to a Mamiya RZ 67
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:42:43 am »

How do I attach an H3D back to a Mamiya RZ 67?

I made a post in the flexframe forum and got a reply of someone who tried it with the LEAF adapter, which failed because there was not enough room for the security notch on top of the back.

I think it should not be a big problem to modify the LEAF adapter. ´d prefer that, because I think it is cheaper than buying a new one from capturegroup.

Best,

Bernd

(Edit: someone selling one second hand?)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:50:55 am by Bernd B. »

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:06:53 am »

I made a post in the flexframe forum and got a reply of someone who tried it with the LEAF adapter, which failed because there was not enough room for the security notch on top of the back.

I think it should not be a big problem to modify the LEAF adapter. ´d prefer that, because I think it is cheaper than buying a new one from capturegroup.

Best,

Bernd

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185655\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bernd:

The problem I found was how to modify the latch on the Leaf adapter without destroying the functionality of the latch. It appeared to me that you could machine it down a bit - it's pretty thick, but where you run into the latching mechanism is not clear. That seems to be the tricky part.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

Bernd B.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 09:43:53 am »

Bernd:

The problem I found was how to modify the latch on the Leaf adapter without destroying the functionality of the latch. It appeared to me that you could machine it down a bit - it's pretty thick, but where you run into the latching mechanism is not clear. That seems to be the tricky part.

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you, Steve!

The reason for looking for the adapter after having almost all HC lenses is that I do not get consistent focus with manual focussing with my H3D, when taking a picture of a person full frame in portrait orientation, when working aperture open.

AF is useless, it would only focus the belly of the people. I don´t know if it is my eyes, that don´t see clear enough or if my camera body has a problem. For my first projects I mostly had setups where I could stop down. For the job I expect I have a whole day shooting aperture open.

I´ll now drive to the city to get myself a HVM waist level finder and critically check the focus adjustment of my camera.

Bernd

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 09:56:18 am »

I recognize this. I have similar experiences with the AF not always being able to work properly (or better not as I would have wished). Focussing with the AF and recomposing afterwards doesn't always put the focus at the right place.

Stopping down you have enough DoF to cover distance differences when recomposing but wide open is where you have to be careful.

I am thinking about replacing the screen with a Brightscreen or Maxwell and see whether that makes a difference. It should make MF easier which is welcome.

For the moment I fall back on the Digiflex if I need to work wide open.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:58:46 am by Dustbak »

Bernd B.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 12:20:11 pm »

Puh, using (buying) a digiflex just after having payed more than 30.000,- EUR for my H system would be a bad joke for me.

I hope there´s a better solution.

How long will it take to get a screen from Bill Maxelll?

Are there different versions (full-frame 6x4,5 vs. Kodak-Chip 37x49mm?

Best,

Bernd

P.S.: What was Bill´s web-address or email-address?

(Edit: ok, I just found his email-adress and mailed him, thanks)

I recognize this. I have similar experiences with the AF not always being able to work properly (or better not as I would have wished). Focussing with the AF and recomposing afterwards doesn't always put the focus at the right place.

Stopping down you have enough DoF to cover distance differences when recomposing but wide open is where you have to be careful.

I am thinking about replacing the screen with a Brightscreen or Maxwell and see whether that makes a difference. It should make MF easier which is welcome.

For the moment I fall back on the Digiflex if I need to work wide open.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:33:45 pm by Bernd B. »

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 12:51:40 pm »

Best,

Bernd

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bernd,

There is a company in Thailand that might make the adapter that you are asking about.  I don't have their web site, but have some information that I can pass along.

Sunchai Adapter  808 Nakornchaisri Rd.
Thanonnakornchaisri, Dusit, Bangkok 10300 Thailand
(662)6695425-9
kseco@ksc15.th.com

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Bernd B.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 12:58:01 pm »

Thank you. I sent them an email.

Bernd

Bernd,

There is a company in Thailand that might make the adapter that you are asking about.  I don't have their web site, but have some information that I can pass along.

Sunchai Adapter  808 Nakornchaisri Rd.
Thanonnakornchaisri, Dusit, Bangkok 10300 Thailand
(662)6695425-9
kseco@ksc15.th.com

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185759\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:57:21 pm »

Puh, using (buying) a digiflex just after having payed more than 30.000,- EUR for my H system would be a bad joke for me.

I hope there´s a better solution.

How long will it take to get a screen from Bill Maxelll?

Are there different versions (full-frame 6x4,5 vs. Kodak-Chip 37x49mm?
Best,

Bernd

P.S.: What was Bill´s web-address or email-address?

(Edit: ok, I just found his email-adress and mailed him, thanks)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know, I have just spend the same   If you get the Maxell screen before me, let me know what you think.

lance_schad

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 02:34:47 pm »

I know, I have just spend the same   If you get the Maxell screen before me, let me know what you think.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You may also want to try these guys at eco digital:
[a href=\"http://www.eco-digital.com/products/products/adapters.html]http://www.eco-digital.com/products/products/adapters.html[/url]
I know these guys names have come up in the past  but have never used their adapters.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration , Phase One Dealer of the Year
lance@captureintegration.com
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

lance_schad

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 02:51:43 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href=\"http://www.eco-digital.com/products/products/adapters.html]http://www.eco-digital.com/products/products/adapters.html[/url]
I know these guys names have come up in the past  but have never used their adapters.

Lance Schad
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

Bernd B.

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 04:37:49 pm »

Crazy price. Too expensive.

Bernd

http://www.eco-digital.com/products/products/adapters.html
I know these guys names have come up in the past  but have never used their adapters.

Lance Schad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185810\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

flashfredrikson

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 01:12:45 pm »

Any news on this topic? Bernd did you find what you were looking for? I find myself in the almost same situation, wanting to mount a phase/contax or phase/h back to the rz. The eco digital adapter seems to be not the right one, because one has to use the oneshot cable release...

cheers,
martin.

TMARK

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 01:53:18 pm »

Any news on this topic? Bernd did you find what you were looking for? I find myself in the almost same situation, wanting to mount a phase/contax or phase/h back to the rz. The eco digital adapter seems to be not the right one, because one has to use the oneshot cable release...

cheers,
martin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209935\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yup, that's what sucks about Phase and the RZ.  You have to use the one shot cable or double fire the back. The only other option is to use an AFd mount back on an RZ Pro2D with the Mamiya adapter.  No cables.  But try finding a RZPro2D not in a kit with the 120 film back and 110 2.8 lens.  Very hard going, especially when you have six lenses and three RZ bodies in the closet.

I am going to buy a Leaf or Sinar back just to use on the RZ because it aint gonna happen with my P30+.

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 02:22:04 pm »

I have the same problem with the H camera where I am shooting wide open, and need to have the subject off center, especially with the 100.
That one focusing point seems so primitive. I was thinking of calling Bill Maxwell and seeing if he could put a couple of Micro prism spots out on either side of the main focus point. I thought that would make it easier to manually focus off to the side. I have not gotten around to doing it though.
It seems like it might work at least with the faster lenses.

Bernd B.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 02:59:13 pm »

I have the same problem with the H camera where I am shooting wide open, and need to have the subject off center, especially with the 100.
That one focusing point seems so primitive. I was thinking of calling Bill Maxwell and seeing if he could put a couple of Micro prism spots out on either side of the main focus point. I thought that would make it easier to manually focus off to the side. I have not gotten around to doing it though.
It seems like it might work at least with the faster lenses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I ordered a screen from Bill Maxwell three months ago. At one point he did not reply anymore. A moths or so later I got a mail from someone in his company that a family member of Bill had become severely ill and that orders are delayed therefore. I didn´t hear anything of my order after that. I´ll not hurry him. Just wait what happens.

Bernd

Bernd B.

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 03:22:36 pm »

cheers,
martin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209935\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I considered using the RZ for being able to securely focus with a WLF in portrait orientation, because at the beginning I had problems focussing manually with the H3D. Most results were good, but not always. I then tried working with the AF and I got along with more reliable results. I know the "why focus recompose sucks" theory (google for it), but in my case AF works most of the time, even wide open. Indeed I do focus and then recompose with my Manfrotto geared head. I tell my models not to move meanwhile. I´ll see what experiences the future brings. But at the moment the RZ is no longer in the center of my interest.

Bernd

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 03:31:44 pm »

I know that theory as well but you know what? It does appear to be working the best way with my H2 (focus & recompose).

Bernd B.

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 03:38:36 pm »

I know that theory as well but you know what? It does appear to be working the best way with my H2 (focus & recompose).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209973\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I´m a bit envious you have the CF back. With the H2F you could use the 28mm AND also switch the adapter and use the classic Hasselblad. I know you sold yours but I´d like to use mine from time to time.

The price is two independant batteries. You have to push two buttons to start the camera. Maybe I should be happy with my H3D.

Bernd
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:39:05 pm by Bernd B. »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 04:07:38 pm »

I am looking at getting another 503 again. Just for the fun of walking around with an akward brick. I find it is one of the best pieces to do street photography. Nobody seems too take you to seriously which makes for good images.

The CF, I find one of the most versatile backs you can get. The H2F is on my wanted list together with the 28. The 2 batteries is no problem, actually it is nice to have because I don't need something special when I mount my back on a 'viewlike' camera. Anyway, I don't find it to be a nuisance. There are many other things that can aggravate me a lot more than having to push 2 buttons instead of one
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:09:57 pm by Dustbak »

flashfredrikson

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 06:15:40 pm »

Yup, that's what sucks about Phase and the RZ.  You have to use the one shot cable or double fire the back. The only other option is to use an AFd mount back on an RZ Pro2D with the Mamiya adapter.  No cables.  But try finding a RZPro2D not in a kit with the 120 film back and 110 2.8 lens.  Very hard going, especially when you have six lenses and three RZ bodies in the closet.

I am going to buy a Leaf or Sinar back just to use on the RZ because it aint gonna happen with my P30+.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No that is not totally right, because I use a V mount Phase P30 on an RZ Pro II with the Phase One adapter, no need to double fire with that, just one cable from body to the adapter and another one from lens to back. But this adapter from phase is not available for H or contax mount backs...
So i was hoping somebody uses this adapter from thailand and can report positive things on it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 06:16:23 pm by flashfredrikson »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up