Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Broncolor Para FB on Elinchrom  (Read 60454 times)

TMARK

Broncolor Para FB on Elinchrom
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 02:17:44 pm »

To see a great example of the Briese Focus 220 used with an HMI look at the Amy Winehouse Rehab video.  A really beautiful light.  

T

perbernal

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 02:42:21 pm »

To see a great example of the Briese Focus 220 used with an HMI look at the Amy Winehouse Rehab video.  A really beautiful light. 

T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185791\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Throw a diffusion on the Para 220, focus the light all the way out and pull back from the subject and I guarantee you will get a very similar fall off result as with the Briese. I recognize the look from when using a Profoto HMI in an 8 foot umbrella with a 1/3 stop diffuser not to close to the subject.  Briese has  more of a "powdery" look due to a more dull silver interior than Pro and Bron. There´s no question that Briese has a superior product but to say that the competition are bad copies is ignorant as there are so many ways to shape a light. Put on a light diffuser on half of the umbrella and I think you´ll be surprised over the result.

Hans_de_Kort

• http://www.hansdekort.nl
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 02:51:34 pm »

why should it be "bad" ? it works flawless even compared to the focus
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185788\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Because the para uses a flashhead that is not centered  and the Briese uses a point of light that is centered and that is a big difference.

perbernal

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 02:59:04 pm »

Because the para uses a flashhead that is not centered  and the Briese uses a point of light that is centered and that is a big difference.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Check out the construction of Bron´s RingflashP.

TMARK

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2008, 03:11:20 pm »

I think they are both great, with the edge going to the Briese.  When I have a need (and the budget) for that quality of light I rent a Focus.  Its an awesome top light with a little grid cloth to control spill for video, and an awesome single source for fashion if you can get it high enough.  I also really like the Focus 70 with an HMI.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2008, 06:39:51 pm »

I have a Briese Focus 180, that is used on Profoto, for a few of years now.
It's very beautiful soft and crispy light (hard to explain if you haven't seen it before) and you can't compare it to anything else, the light is just a point in the centre of the hyperbolic umbrella, no lighthead or ring. You can focus the light by pushing it up and down in the centre. The para is a bad copy of the Briese focus, it's only the umbrella that is the same, not the building of the flash itself.
Briese Focus 180 information
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185782\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I have rented the Briese 180 & it is a beautiful light & easy to set up. It is also very light compared to the Bron Para which is much heavier after you put a Bron head in it. To me they are very different because the Bron head aim inwards like an umbrella while the Briese flash tube aims outwards. With the scrim on you cannot refocus the Bron while you focus the Briese from the back which is very easy. I know down here in Sydney they are running the Briese off of Profoto packs.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Tim Lüdin

• http://www.timage.ch
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2008, 06:44:19 pm »

Hi, I got the broncolor para 220. It's a very nice light shaper.
This reflector is just magic. It's like multiple light shapers in one reflector.
You can go from hard spotted to exrteme soft light. In a few seconds you can change the whole
characteristics of the light. Maybe the biggest positv difference to the briese umbrella is the ease of use. The Bron Para 220 is very easy and fast to install. Briese is a bit more tricky.
Ah yeah, there are about 4 diffrent Bron Paras out there. Like Denis said, not all Bron paras can be adjusted from the back. I got one, that the light can be adjusted all the time just from the back of the umbrella even when theres the silk put on the front. I have to check the para version for the name...

Tim
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 06:49:52 pm by Tim Lüdin »
Cinematographer & Photographer
[url=http

geronimo13

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2008, 06:51:58 pm »

Hi!

Any one got retail prises for the briese products? Any online dealer who sells them?

Hi, I got the broncolor para 220. It's a very nice light shaper.
This reflector is just magic. It's like multiple light shapers in one reflector.
You can go from hard spotted to exrteme soft light. In a few seconds you can change the whole
characteristics of the light. Maybe the biggest positv difference to the briese umbrella is the ease of use. The Bron Para 220 is very easy and fast to install. Briese is a bit more tricky.

Tim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185895\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2008, 08:34:21 pm »

I have an octa and it is like putting a window in the room, with the spring light outside. I bought it when I started out doing fashion, because it was the only flash I could use without training. As you can guess I'm not very good at lighting - but the octa results were always as good as I needed.

When working at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, I met the guy who designed the octa, he showed me some use tricks, and taught me how to set it up. One of the big advantages of this unit is that I carry just one umbrella over my shoulder, one light stand and one monolight and a reflector, and one camera bag, so I don't need an assistant to move my stuff.

One interesting shot I did, the AD was waiting for me, with a Nikon Coolpix around her neck, and when I walked in with the octa she said "Oh, I thought you were going to bring some lights".

I've used the big Profoto umbrellas,bigger than the octa, but the octa light is much much softer.

Sorry to be so wordy, but I think the octa+reflectors is a really neat one-piece solution for anyone who can live with soft lighting. I've used it as a lightsource for interiors as well.

Edmund

PS. the octa is an excellent backlight - that thumbnail image of me on the left is actually me backlit against the octa diffuser shooting into a mirror.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:53:36 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Snook

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2008, 09:13:55 pm »

I have an octa and it is like putting a window in the room, with the spring light outside. I bought it when I started out doing fashion, because it was the only flash I could use without training. As you can guess I'm not very good at lighting - but the octa results were always as good as I needed.

When working at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, I met the guy who designed the octa, he showed me some use tricks, and taught me how to set it up. One of the big advantages of this unit is that I carry just one umbrella over my shoulder, one light stand and one monolight and a reflector, and one camera bag, so I don't need an assistant to move my stuff.

One interesting shot I did, the AD was waiting for me, with a Nikon Coolpix around her neck, and when I walked in with the octa she said "Oh, I thought you were going to bring some lights".

I've used the big Profoto umbrellas,bigger than the octa, but the octa light is much much softer.

Sorry to be so wordy, but I think the octa+reflectors is a really neat one-piece solution for anyone who can live with soft lighting. I've used it as a lightsource for interiors as well.

Edmund

PS. the octa is an excellent backlight - that thumbnail image of me on the left is actually me backlit against the octa diffuser shooting into a mirror.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eronald.. they are talkng about a para Jumbo like umbrella.. Not an Octobank..
Guys I a trying to find the link for the Para Imitation.
Do not want you guys to get so excited as many have e-mailed me. The Para I use is great and a copy of the PB. I have a picture but the picture of it does not do it justice at all.
I bought mine from a local dealer that brings it in from China, So It is hard to find a link..
I have apicture which I will post below but it is an older version from an Old catalogue.
I will try to post an actual picture from my studio when I get a chance.
Sorry for the delay.
I paid like 1200.00 us$ more or less for mine with a Stand included.
You can focus the light on the pole or focus the umbrella back and forth.
Again this is a Cheaper version but I really like it and for the price where I live it was a deal..:+}
Also mine has the Silver interior

Snook

[attachment=5856:attachment]

benedmonson

• http://www.benedmonson.com
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2008, 09:29:30 pm »

Edmund

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edmund,
I also just went to the large 74" octabank from elinchrom for a 1 to 2 light solution for editorial fashion. I would love to hear from others who use it??? I've got it on a boom rolling stand and it rocks! I've used the profoto's also from rental houses when I'm in the big cities and like the elinchrom just as much.....

Cheers,

Ben Edmonson

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2008, 09:34:31 pm »

woops
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:11:17 pm by paul_jones »
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

kingsize

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2008, 11:02:13 pm »

My company rents the Bron 220

1  After meeting with Bron in Switzerland and discussing the Para use, here are some tips: don't use the Para closer than the umbrella diameter otherwise you loose the "Para effect"

2  We use the #2 diffuser for the best shadowless effect, while still maintaining the "Para effect"

3  The Para will accept any brand lamp base with a standard 5/8" mount.

4  The "Para effect" is seen best when the lamp is in the flood position: ie, at the front most position

5  Anecdotes from others in the industry I have heard re: Briese is that they are very easy to damage both umbrella and lamp. They are also incredibly expensive. We investigated them and they were double, triple the price of anything else.

6 You will probably loose color temperature control if you mix heads and backs between brands. The bron Grafit pack maintains color balance with its heads

7  Experienced users of the Para can open and close the unit within a minute. You must however check the hinge for fabric snags.

8  I highly recommend the geared head with use of the Para (with a wind up stand)

The Para effect is unique vs any other style of light modifyer such as octa-softboxes. With experimentation you should be able to learn to control the unit how you want. There are many lighting tricks you can use with the Para, but I will leave that up to you to find out.

The Para is a great accessory, and anyone shooting fashion through to room sets will love this light.

Adam Custins
www.kingsize.co.nz

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2008, 04:13:07 am »

Adam,

Thanks for all that info - now could you post a shot or two where one can see thsi "para effect" ?

Edmund

My company rents the Bron 220

1  After meeting with Bron in Switzerland and discussing the Para use, here are some tips: don't use the Para closer than the umbrella diameter otherwise you loose the "Para effect"

2  We use the #2 diffuser for the best shadowless effect, while still maintaining the "Para effect"

3  The Para will accept any brand lamp base with a standard 5/8" mount.

4  The "Para effect" is seen best when the lamp is in the flood position: ie, at the front most position

5  Anecdotes from others in the industry I have heard re: Briese is that they are very easy to damage both umbrella and lamp. They are also incredibly expensive. We investigated them and they were double, triple the price of anything else.

6 You will probably loose color temperature control if you mix heads and backs between brands. The bron Grafit pack maintains color balance with its heads

7  Experienced users of the Para can open and close the unit within a minute. You must however check the hinge for fabric snags.

8  I highly recommend the geared head with use of the Para (with a wind up stand)

The Para effect is unique vs any other style of light modifyer such as octa-softboxes. With experimentation you should be able to learn to control the unit how you want. There are many lighting tricks you can use with the Para, but I will leave that up to you to find out.

The Para is a great accessory, and anyone shooting fashion through to room sets will love this light.

Adam Custins
www.kingsize.co.nz
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2008, 03:28:02 pm »

Hi!

Any one got retail prises for the briese products? Any online dealer who sells them?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://www.snap-studios.de]http://www.snap-studios.de[/url]

http://www.solalights.com

I thought that I would put the retail price out there on the Briese 180 Focus consisting of the 180cm Focus + Spacer Tubus + Lamphead + 2400ws Flashtube + Counterlight Reflector + Stand Mount + Set-up Helper = EURO 8346.00. Oh, factor in EURO 4750.00 for the 400ws Mini Yellow Cube or EURO1998.00 for the Hensel Porty 1200 Premium Plus.

Briese has only one finish for its Focus reflectors today. It dropped the Soft white finish last year.

In the US, Briese has had a bust-up with Briese USA, its erstwhile American representative. Things got pretty ugly with both sides suing each other. I don't know the outcome of  that. Briese's new American rep is http://www.danielleinc.us . In the US, you may rent Briese from http://www.pier59studios.com.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 03:50:29 pm by Sean Reginald Knight »

Shedaoshai

• http://
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2008, 03:53:54 pm »

or EURO1998.00 for the Hensel Porty 1200 Premium Plus.

oh, does briese offer an adapter?

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2008, 04:03:02 pm »

oh, does briese offer an adapter?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. Briese offers an adapter for the Hensel Porty. But only for the Hensel Porty,  no other brands. And no, the Briese Bi-tube heads don't work on either one or two Hensel Porties. It is for the Single-tube only.

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2008, 04:10:10 pm »

Take a gander at http://www.adamfrisch.com . Adam lit the Amy Winehouse Rehab and Shawn Emanuel Better Believe It videos with the Briese Focus.

Hans_de_Kort

• http://www.hansdekort.nl
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2008, 04:58:41 pm »

Yes. Briese offers an adapter for the Hensel Porty. But only for the Hensel Porty,  no other brands. And no, the Briese Bi-tube heads don't work on either one or two Hensel Porties. It is for the Single-tube only.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I bought the Focus 180 from Briese with a Profoto adapter in 2005

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2008, 05:51:53 pm »

I bought the Focus 180 from Briese with a Profoto adapter in 2005
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can't get one today. Briese has dropped the adapters for other makes of generators/power packs. Today, you can only use the Briese flash-heads with Briese's own Yellow Cubes or Hensel's Porty.

And no, he won't budge even if you begged him.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:53:12 pm by Sean Reginald Knight »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up