Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Broncolor Para FB on Elinchrom  (Read 60440 times)

perbernal

Broncolor Para FB on Elinchrom
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 08:03:03 am »

i just called bron, they told me the ringflash tube is coated for 5500k

and the matte pulso protection glass delivered with the para is just for a more even pilot light
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185647\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info, Shedaoshai. Seems like there might be a compatibility issue then between Bron and Profoto that interfere with the color balance. Going to wait and see what Steve Hendrix finds out and if necessary call Silvino´s Pro Flash and see what solution he can come up with.

Best, Per

Snook

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 08:28:49 am »

Thanks for the info, Shedaoshai. Seems like there might be a compatibility issue then between Bron and Profoto that interfere with the color balance. Going to wait and see what Steve Hendrix finds out and if necessary call Silvino´s Pro Flash and see what solution he can come up with.

Best, Per
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185651\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hey I  have a question for you para guys..:+}
Are you guys using the Para close up or far away from your subject and doesn't the Huge Catchlight bother some of you that shoot it pretty close up?
Thanks for any info.
I actually bought a Chinese para rip off that is Exactly the same as the para but several K less expensive..:+}
I just do not like the catchlight sometimes but maybe shooting it too close up to the sunjects.
Mine is the 2.5 meter one..:+}
Snook

BJNY

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 09:00:21 am »

Please provide a link.

I actually bought a Chinese para rip off that is Exactly the same as the para but several K less expensive..:+}
Guillermo

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 10:15:03 am »

Best, Per
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185651\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On my Profoto-7a, there is a knob which allows an adjustment of colour temperature in increments of 50 Kelvins. I am sure there is the same function on the D4 and 7b packs. You may try adjusting that to get a 5500K balance.

Snook

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 10:22:15 am »

Please provide a link.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have had a lot of Request for the Knock off..
Not sure if I can post it here???
I am in the middle of a long catalogue shoot right now but will find link and send it for those thrifty people looking for an option.
Can some one let me know if I can post here with out getting heat?
Snook

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 10:45:59 am »

i doubt you'll be banned for life...it's not like you're a Hasselblad worshiper or anything...

Bernhard

• http://www.bernhardphotographer.com
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 10:52:22 am »

profoto is also introducing their new version of the the giant reflector which is the design as briese/para . it will be out in few weeks and use the same mounting system as the giant reflector

bernhard

TMARK

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 11:06:51 am »

profoto is also introducing their new version of the the giant reflector which is the design as briese/para . it will be out in few weeks and use the same mounting system as the giant reflector

bernhard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great news.  Do you know what lamp head it is designed to use?  Regular head or Ring?  Hopefully a little cheaper than the Bron and Briese.

Bernhard

• http://www.bernhardphotographer.com
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 11:09:12 am »

Great news.  Do you know what lamp head it is designed to use?  Regular head or Ring?  Hopefully a little cheaper than the Bron and Briese.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185712\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

it will be for their regular heads, but hope they will also suply a mount for the proring

bernhard

BJNY

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 11:24:32 am »

Bear in mind any ringlight's flash duration is likely longer due to the length of its flashtube.
You also can not get the quicker recycle and output as when using a bi-tube.
Guillermo

TMARK

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 11:33:49 am »

A ring mount would be fantastic!  Is this new device a replacement for the Pro Big or is it a whole new reflector familiy?

Thanks,

T

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 11:59:02 am »

Hi Dustbak,

The Broncolor Para -FB is a very nice system especially when coupled with the Broncolor ringflash. I invested into it myself last year when Calumet had a 20% sale drive on the Para. Since I´m shooting with Profoto I had Silvinos Pro Flash in Hollywood convert the Broncolor mounting into a Profoto 7 adapter. It works really great and I´m positive this will work for Elinchrome as well.  I have tried to put Profoto´s own heads and ring flashes but the result is just not the same. The light tends to be very uneven at the edges compared to the center.
The only drawback with the Broncolor ringflash (besides the price) is that they are using a UV-coated circular flash tube that gives a warm light (4800 Kelvin) so you´ll probably need to put a cooling filter on it to balance it with your original Elinchrome heads. I have tried Briese and Profoto in the past  and I think the Brocolor is a happy medium. Good luck!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The extra protective dome that came with our Para is a warming dome. From what I can determine, it's for use with non-UV Pulso tubes, so it wouldn't have anything to do with the Ringflash anyway.

But the original Ringflash did not have UV tubes, and the new one does. What does that mean. Well, I don't know for sure, but getting a 4800 temp reading with a ProFoto pack converted for use with the Bron Ringflash could be the result of a number of factors - which pack, what power setting, etc.

Even on the Bron packs, depending on the setting, you could have a variance as you dial up or down, unless it was the Grafit, which has tighter tolerances and allows you to control that color temperature.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

perbernal

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 12:13:21 pm »

Hey I  have a question for you para guys..:+}
Are you guys using the Para close up or far away from your subject and doesn't the Huge Catchlight bother some of you that shoot it pretty close up?
Thanks for any info.
I just do not like the catchlight sometimes but maybe shooting it too close up to the sunjects.
Mine is the 2.5 meter one..:+}
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I use my Para 220 fairly close to the subject within 6-10 feet (2-3 meters) from camera left or right  and with a  slight down tilt. You will actually hear a faint echo when you're facing the sweet spot or  the center of the light (not a joke). I think your catch light "problem" has to do with the position of the head inside the para. If it's to close to the inside of the umbrella you'll get a very spotted and harsh light. I like to have the head/ringflash almost as far out as possible when shooting people since this gives the nicest wrapping effect. Like using a 8x8 or 12x12 china silk on a frame and adding an open head with reflector in the center. The result is a light with both contrast, smoothness and with a nice wrap. No drastic highlights but without being boring and if you need a little bit more punch you just focus the light a few inches or centimeters.
Seems like you got a good deal on your China made para. I don't blame you for trying to save  money but usually an original is better than a copy. Unless they are using identical fabrics/materials and the same shape of the umbrella I doubt you will get the same lighting qualities as with the Bron version.

perbernal

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 12:23:20 pm »

bernhard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Profoto used to have a giant umbrella in the middle of 90's that you were able to zoom just like the Briese, but they had to pull it from the market due to lawsuits from Broncolor and Briese. If what you're saying is correct it's great news. I hope their new version will be deeper built than their current models and with a focusing rod. I wonder what kind of fabric they will use on the inside.

Shedaoshai

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 12:27:19 pm »

some news about the profoto giant

sorry for the german link, it seems that it hasn't been released by profoto.com yet

http://www.profoto.de/news.php?nid=85
http://www.ppl.de/images/stories/PDF_2008/...otonews1_08.pdf
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:27:52 pm by Shedaoshai »

perbernal

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 01:06:06 pm »

On my Profoto-7a, there is a knob which allows an adjustment of colour temperature in increments of 50 Kelvins. I am sure there is the same function on the D4 and 7b packs. You may try adjusting that to get a 5500K balance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You´re correct about the Pro 7A. Use to have the Pro 6 with the same possibilities to adjust the color temp. The D4 does not have this function and has the same color output throughout the whole power range. It´s not a big deal really with the warm temperature as it could be fixed with a cooling filter. I appreciate everybody´s input and help but it was never my intention to blow it out of proportion. I think it´s just a matter of an UV-coated flash tube and a slight voltage difference between the Bron and Profoto packs that could be fixed with a filter, adjusted in photoshop or by changing the flash tube to a non UV.

perbernal

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 01:08:12 pm »

some news about the profoto giant

sorry for the german link, it seems that it hasn't been released by profoto.com yet

http://www.profoto.de/news.php?nid=85
http://www.ppl.de/images/stories/PDF_2008/...otonews1_08.pdf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185751\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice!!! I guess Bron and Briese will get some serious competition from my fellow Swedes!

TMARK

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 01:17:17 pm »

I hope the new Profotos are less awkward to set up than the current Pro Bigs.

Can't wait to try one.

Hans_de_Kort

• http://www.hansdekort.nl
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 01:53:24 pm »

I have a Briese Focus 180, that is used on Profoto, for a few of years now.
It's very beautiful soft and crispy light (hard to explain if you haven't seen it before) and you can't compare it to anything else, the light is just a point in the centre of the hyperbolic umbrella, no lighthead or ring. You can focus the light by pushing it up and down in the centre. The para is a bad copy of the Briese focus, it's only the umbrella that is the same, not the building of the flash itself.
Briese Focus 180 information
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:59:39 pm by Hans_de_Kort »

Shedaoshai

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 02:02:41 pm »

The para is a bad copy of the Briese focus,

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185782\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

why should it be "bad" ? it works flawless even compared to the focus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up