Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Broncolor Para FB on Elinchrom  (Read 60457 times)

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Broncolor Para FB on Elinchrom
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:51:46 am »

I have been eye-balling the Para-FB from Broncolor quite awhile now but all of my strobes are Elinchrom. Now, I could just get over it and get myself the big Elinchrom Octa but I really like the Para FB a bit better.

I could also get some Broncolor strobes to go with it. Either way means making compromises that I yet do not want to make. Also considering it is quite a substantial investment, I am hesitant to maintain 2 types of strobe brands.

Is anyone familiar with either a 'knock-off' (hate that word) of the Para that has the same lighting characteristics or is there an adapter to be able to mount Elinchrom strobes in the Para FB?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:00:37 pm by Dustbak »

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:22:36 pm »

I have been eye-balling the Para-FB from Broncolor quite awhile now but all of my strobes are Elinchrom. Now, I could just get over it and get myself the big Elinchrom Octa but I really like the Para FB a bit better.

I could also get some Broncolor strobes to go with it. Either way means making compromises that I yet do not want to make. Also considering it is quite a substantial investment, I am hesitant to maintain 2 types of strobe brands.

Is anyone familiar with either a 'knock-off' (hate that word) of the Para that has the same lighting characteristics or is there an adapter to be able to mount Elinchrom strobes in the Para FB?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can use the Broncolor Para with any manufacturer's lamphead that provides a "bogen" style adapter.

So, you can buy the Para, and use whatever you want with it. But you might consider the Bron Ringflash - it mounts dead-center, which gives you exremely even light, and features that very cool catchlight of the circle dots.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

Shedaoshai

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 01:15:53 pm »

the broncolor para makes only fun with the ringlight. i used it with profoto heads, would not recommend it. the light was visible uncentered and unbalanced.

BJNY

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 01:20:21 pm »

The two are completely different light quality:
Para=focused
Octa=broad large source
Guillermo

flashfredrikson

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 01:22:58 pm »

you should really consider the briese focus series, it is the original which bron tried to copy with the para. it's beautiful lighting and you don't need a ringflash. i would always go with the briese instead of the bron.

cheers,
martin

TMARK

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:27:25 pm »

The Para FB is very nice. The only thing better in my estimation is the Briese Focus series.  I've only used the para with Bron lit with the Ring Flash (P? The new one with modeling light and fans). I'd like to use one with my Profoto lights but was told it was impossible.  Steve, what is the Bogen adaptor?

I often mimic the Para and the Briese Focus.  Its not identical, but can be very close. For the wide soft light use a large silk or the El Octa, then place a hard light, or two, or three, in the middle of the soft source, perhaps a 1/3 stop hotter than the soft bank.  The Profoto heads are focusable which is ideal for faking the Para or Focus. This set up is, however, not practicable. A lot more rigging than setting up a Para.

T

Shedaoshai

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 02:13:52 pm »

you should really consider the briese focus series, it is the original which bron tried to copy with the para. it's beautiful lighting and you don't need a ringflash. i would always go with the briese instead of the bron.

cheers,
martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185448\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the focus got a slight different light look, i'm using both. but anyway both systems produce an absolute kick-ass light.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 02:15:03 pm »

Thx! for all responses. I checked out the Briese and that seems to be a very interesting option.

snickgrr

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 02:16:58 pm »

Yes, the Briese stuff looks hot.

flashfredrikson

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 03:03:29 pm »

and I forgot: a photog I know got his briese strobe adapted to his balcar generators so he didn't have to buy a briese generator (which I totally dislike by the way). I don't know if briese does that or if he got it custom made by some tech, but it is possible... so maybe you could still use your elinchrom packs, just get the focus, head and flashtube.

Boris_Epix

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 03:12:16 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm a big fan of Elinchrom equipment but as you already mentioned the Elinchrom Octa is not anything like the Para. The octa is very soft and even without the diffusion cloth still much softer and different. If you're looking for Para light then you will not find it in the Octa although the Octa has very nice light too.

Maybe the solution you're looking for is to have a Broncolor head adapted to the elinchrom pack. That way you could stay with your Elinchrom power pack.

I wanted to do the same with a Profoto ringflash and my dealer said it wouldn't be a problem. I then got a reasonalbe deal on some Profoto equipment and now have quite some of their equipment too. But beside the Ringflash I'm mostly still using the ELinchrom stuff.

These guys do this often I'm told.
[a href=\"http://www.flashclinic.com]http://www.flashclinic.com[/url]

As far as Briese goes... the newer equipment is nice... but it's so expensive I'm not sure it is an option for anyone sane :-)

Seriously... a simple light head/modifier can run more than 3 Elinchrom packs with heads, etc.

Cheers
Boris

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 03:21:07 pm »

and I forgot: a photog I know got his briese strobe adapted to his balcar generators so he didn't have to buy a briese generator (which I totally dislike by the way). I don't know if briese does that or if he got it custom made by some tech, but it is possible... so maybe you could still use your elinchrom packs, just get the focus, head and flashtube.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Balcar used to provide Briese to Balcar adapters for its Nexus generators.

However, Balcar no longer provides this adapter for its latest B, T and F generators which use rectangular connectors.

Briese's generators aren't its strong suit. You get Full or One-Quarter power out of its A and B sockets respectively  with one head and Three-Quarter and One-Quarter power if you use two heads    . Briese used to provide adapters for other manufacturers' generators and then abruptly stopped providing them last year. So, it is possible to have adapters for them but I have yet to find a techncian who would agree to do it. Tried Flash Clinic in NYC. Nada.

If you wish to use a Briese light modifier today with flash, you are stuck with using the Briese Yellow Cubes.  

You may also use the Briese with the Hensel Porty 1200J generator with its 6 F-stop adjustability. But you are stuck with its slow flash duration and long recycling time.

I don't understand why Herr Werner Briese does not update his Yellow Cubes or have someone like Hensel, elinchrom or Profoto OEM them for him. If he would do that, he would find greater acceptance of his products. The Yellow Cubes are stuck in the 70s.

If you wish to see Herr Briese go tomato-red in the face, just mention BRONCOLOR

Shedaoshai

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

So, it is possible to have adapters for them but I have yet to find a techncian who would agree to do it. Tried Flash Clinic in NYC. Nada.

If you wish to use a Briese light modifier today with flash, you are stuck with using the Briese Yellow Cubes. 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

same here  tried the same
briese is gettin' more and more agressive against techs that converte briese heads.

the briese yellows aren't so bad. a bit bulky and outdated yes... but they're still bloody fast and quite constant

perbernal

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 04:08:57 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Dustbak,

The Broncolor Para -FB is a very nice system especially when coupled with the Broncolor ringflash. I invested into it myself last year when Calumet had a 20% sale drive on the Para. Since I´m shooting with Profoto I had Silvinos Pro Flash in Hollywood convert the Broncolor mounting into a Profoto 7 adapter. It works really great and I´m positive this will work for Elinchrome as well.  I have tried to put Profoto´s own heads and ring flashes but the result is just not the same. The light tends to be very uneven at the edges compared to the center.
The only drawback with the Broncolor ringflash (besides the price) is that they are using a UV-coated circular flash tube that gives a warm light (4800 Kelvin) so you´ll probably need to put a cooling filter on it to balance it with your original Elinchrome heads. I have tried Briese and Profoto in the past  and I think the Brocolor is a happy medium. Good luck!

Shedaoshai

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 05:21:30 pm »

The only drawback with the Broncolor ringflash (besides the price) is that they are using a UV-coated circular flash tube that gives a warm light (4800 Kelvin) so you
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

are you sure this isn't / wasn't your powerpack? i got constant readings (colormeter) around +- 5500 with a grafit pack

perbernal

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 10:41:44 pm »

are you sure this isn't / wasn't your powerpack? i got constant readings (colormeter) around +- 5500 with a grafit pack
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was my first assumption too and maybe you´re right. I´m using Profoto D4´s and Pro7 B´s and I´m getting the same warm results with each pack. Unless the voltage is slightly different between Profoto´s and Broncolor´s packs which alters the color balance, the only explanation is the UV coated flashtube in the Ringflash P. Profoto´s ProRing2 gives me a clean and neutral light but not as even as Bron´s due to the reflector design. I will find out why the two systems differs on my packs. I just assumed that it was Bron´s look that I generally found warmer looking than Profoto´s which also seem to be the case with Briese but please correct me if I´m wrong.[attachment=5828:attachment]

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 10:49:36 pm »

That was my first assumption too and maybe you´re right. I´m using Profoto D4´s and Pro7 B´s and I´m getting the same warm results with each pack. Unless the voltage is slightly different between Profoto´s and Broncolor´s packs which alters the color balance, the only explanation is the UV coated flashtube in the Ringflash P. Profoto´s ProRing2 gives me a clean and neutral light but not as even as Bron´s due to the reflector design. I will find out why the two systems differs on my packs. I just assumed that it was Bron´s look that I generally found warmer looking than Profoto´s which also seem to be the case with Briese but please correct me if I´m wrong.[attachment=5828:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185576\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is a protective dome that comes with our Para kit - it affects the color temperature. I cannot remember if it warms or cools, or if it is used in combination with the Ringflash, but this dialogue is ringing a bell and that may be the issue.

I can confirm this tomorrow.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

perbernal

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 11:02:19 pm »

There is a protective dome that comes with our Para kit - it affects the color temperature. I cannot remember if it warms or cools, or if it is used in combination with the Ringflash, but this dialogue is ringing a bell and that may be the issue.

I can confirm this tomorrow.

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185577\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nothing came with the Para Kit /Ringflash P when I first got it but hopefully this is the missing link:) Looking forward to see what you´ll find out.

Best, Per

BJNY

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 11:08:44 pm »

According to this PDF, a matte protection glass is included with the ParaFB for use with their PulsoG flash head
Guillermo

Shedaoshai

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 07:38:58 am »

i just called bron, they told me the ringflash tube is coated for 5500k

and the matte pulso protection glass delivered with the para is just for a more even pilot light
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up