Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Question For Chris  (Read 10810 times)

Kevin Gallagher

A Question For Chris
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:23:24 am »

Just wondering if you use any studio type lighting equipment for the VJ segments or the tutorials such as Camera To Print etc. If so could you give a basic description of the equipment etc. ?

Thanks, Kevin
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
A Question For Chris
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:13:30 pm »

My personal preference is to use natural daylight or in situ lighting with bounced reflectors. However that is not always practical if I have Jeff & Michael sitting at a desk for two days of filming...

So then yes, I do use lighting but generally extremely lightweight and simple. As to the type, it depends on what is at hand: Jeff has a bunch of lighting equipment in his Chicago studio, Michael has none at his gallery. I occasionally travel with the only lighting I own - a lightweight two light Ianiro kit (blondes) and use foam core sheets to 'bounce' the light. Generally there is a front side key and a lesser bounced fill - it all depends on the situation - white or black walls or ceilings, windows etc.
Chris S

Kevin Gallagher

A Question For Chris
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:30:29 pm »

My personal preference is to use natural daylight or in situ lighting with bounced reflectors. However that is not always practical if I have Jeff & Michael sitting at a desk for two days of filming...

So then yes, I do use lighting but generally extremely lightweight and simple. As to the type, it depends on what is at hand: Jeff has a bunch of lighting equipment in his Chicago studio, Michael has none at his gallery. I occasionally travel with the only lighting I own - a lightweight two light Ianiro kit (blondes) and use foam core sheets to 'bounce' the light. Generally there is a front side key and a lesser bounced fill - it all depends on the situation - white or black walls or ceilings, windows etc.
Chris S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185428\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Chris, I got myself involved with a project at work that entails making PSA's (Public Service Announcements) for my agency and am trying to come up with an equipment list.
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
A Question For Chris
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 03:01:37 pm »

My 'essential' list would include.
Heavy gauge extension cords, gloves (for handling hot lights), 4'x8' white & black foamcore or 2 black & 2 white dropsheets, 4 gripstands with clamps, 2 blonde lamps (better yet, the newer Kinoflows Flouresc. or LED lights) Spare bulbs, gaffer (duct) & black tape, hd clamps, stepladder...
(I'll add to this if I think of more - there likely is)  

Kevin Gallagher

A Question For Chris
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:28:53 am »

My 'essential' list would include.
Heavy gauge extension cords, gloves (for handling hot lights), 4'x8' white & black foamcore or 2 black & 2 white dropsheets, 4 gripstands with clamps, 2 blonde lamps (better yet, the newer Kinoflows Flouresc. or LED lights) Spare bulbs, gaffer (duct) & black tape, hd clamps, stepladder...
(I'll add to this if I think of more - there likely is) 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185469\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks again Chris, I checked out some LED packages and the ones I found were very costly. The fluorescents seem to me to be the way to go. If my understanding of them is correct they will also work for still photography. Something tells me I'll be sorry for volunteering for this project  But at least I knew enough to let our public information people and command staff set the agenda for content, scripting ect.!!
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
A Question For Chris
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:42:54 am »

The other absolute essential is a good graycard or GretagMacBeth colour chart - especially if you use flourescents which can be more problematic to colour balance

Peter McLennan

A Question For Chris
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 01:05:38 am »

Interesting, Chris, that you use Ianiro blondes.  These lights draw 2kw each and will blow the breaker in any domestic situation.  How do you feed them?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
A Question For Chris
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 09:17:12 am »

I have a 1500w and a 750w and always use separate circuits
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:18:14 am by Chrissand »
Pages: [1]   Go Up