Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 pizza wheel:cheapest way to test for  (Read 5395 times)

walter.sk

Z3100 pizza wheel:cheapest way to test for
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:02:27 am »

What is the must likely paper at the lowest cost and size for me to test to see if I get the pizza wheel marks on the Z3100 24"?  I know I need some documentation for HP in order to get the newly designed rollers but I don't have any of the papers that have presented problems.

Charles Gast

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:05:51 am »

I see the marks when I print on fine art matte media where there are flat field areas of black. I have a few images I print which have flat black areas where the lines show up. Looking straight at the print with the light straight down on the paper it is not visible. Look at the print from an angle or illuminate it from an angle and regularly spaced fine lines are visible.  I can put the same image on luster or even High gloss white film media and the lines do not appear. For all I know its the pinch rollers instead of the star wheels.
Charlie

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 06:36:59 pm »

What is the must likely paper at the lowest cost and size for me to test to see if I get the pizza wheel marks on the Z3100 24"?  I know I need some documentation for HP in order to get the newly designed rollers but I don't have any of the papers that have presented problems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Z3100 has two separate "issues" related to paper handling and surface marks.

One is starwheel marks; these are lines of tiny evenly spaced paper-white spots due to the spokes of the little starwheels puncturing the coating on the paper. I've only seen it in dark/black areas of a few matte cotton rag papers with very heavy inkloads.

The other would be roller marks, which are linear creases or dents visible in the darkest areas of mostly luster/gloss papers like Harman's FB AL gloss in glancing light. This is due to a dent left in the surface coating by the hard plastic "pinch rollers". I've seen these very rarely, in heavily inked black areas of such papers, mostly in humid weather.

Hope that helps.

Mary K

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:42:14 am »

The cheapest HP paper I have found that will show star wheel marks is Premium Plus HP Photo Paper, item number Q6568A.  This is a glossy paper, and I purchased a 25 sheet package of letter size at Staples.  This paper clearly showed star wheel marks with B&W prints, especially in the deep blacks.

Mary
Mary Konchar

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:09:48 pm »

The cheapest HP paper I have found that will show star wheel marks is Premium Plus HP Photo Paper, item number Q6568A.  This is a glossy paper, and I purchased a 25 sheet package of letter size at Staples.  This paper clearly showed star wheel marks with B&W prints, especially in the deep blacks.

Mary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186079\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the tip!  I assume it would also show the pinch roller marks.  I'm off to Staples.

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 04:07:06 pm »

Thanks for the tip!  I assume it would also show the pinch roller marks.  I'm off to Staples.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Whoops!  Bought some of the paper but as I went to open the pack I read that it is "Not recommended for use with  HP 38 and 70 pigment inks."

So even if it showed the marks, I think HP would not accept the paper as valid proof of a Z3100 malfunction.  I think I will return the paper.

Mary K

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:41:56 pm »

Whoops!  Bought some of the paper but as I went to open the pack I read that it is "Not recommended for use with  HP 38 and 70 pigment inks."

So even if it showed the marks, I think HP would not accept the paper as valid proof of a Z3100 malfunction.  I think I will return the paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186204\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you sure you purchased the right paper.  I used this paper when I had my star wheel assembly replaced by HP, and they accepted it just fine.  The front of the box says "Professional quality photos that resist fading for over 100 years with HP Vivera Inks".  Check for the part number located on the back of the box, in the lower right hand corner.  It should be Q6568A.
Mary Konchar

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 04:18:30 am »

Are you sure you purchased the right paper.  I used this paper when I had my star wheel assembly replaced by HP, and they accepted it just fine.  The front of the box says "Professional quality photos that resist fading for over 100 years with HP Vivera Inks".  Check for the part number located on the back of the box, in the lower right hand corner.  It should be Q6568A.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186280\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When they released the HP 9180 that uses the same inks, Vivera pigment they made a huge goof up. They actually said the Premium Plus was for pigments!

This is a no-no.

You can't. Not only will the ink not dry, but the pizza wheels will surely puncture the surface.
So it is a sure way to tell if you have equal pressure on the pizza wheels, and to see if one is stuck, but it is not the way to test for correct output on compatible papers.

Mary K

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 07:16:58 am »

When they released the HP 9180 that uses the same inks, Vivera pigment they made a huge goof up. They actually said the Premium Plus was for pigments!

This is a no-no.

You can't. Not only will the ink not dry, but the pizza wheels will surely puncture the surface.
So it is a sure way to tell if you have equal pressure on the pizza wheels, and to see if one is stuck, but it is not the way to test for correct output on compatible papers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186341\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that may be, but I used the Premium Plus High Gloss HP Photo Paper as proof of a star wheel problem with my Z3100 printer, and HP accepted it.  Since my star wheel assembly and pinch rollers were replaced with the new ones, my output is fine on this paper -- no star wheel or pinch roller marks.  And the ink is quite dry when the print comes out of the printer, as it was before the new parts were installed.  I do not normally use the paper, but only used it to show HP that I had the problem with their papers, as well as the papers I normally use.  

By the way, the package also has a seal from Wilhelm Imaging Research that states that the paper is "Certified for 100+ years with HP Vivera Inks."

Mary
Mary Konchar

walter.sk

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 09:04:17 am »

Well, that may be, but I used the Premium Plus High Gloss HP Photo Paper as proof of a star wheel problem with my Z3100 printer, and HP accepted it.  Since my star wheel assembly and pinch rollers were replaced with the new ones, my output is fine on this paper -- no star wheel or pinch roller marks.  And the ink is quite dry when the print comes out of the printer, as it was before the new parts were installed.  I do not normally use the paper, but only used it to show HP that I had the problem with their papers, as well as the papers I normally use. 

By the way, the package also has a seal from Wilhelm Imaging Research that states that the paper is "Certified for 100+ years with HP Vivera Inks."

Mary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The paper I bought has the same number, Q6568A.  The Wilhelm Imaging seal is on the front.  But on the back flap that has the word Inkjet on the left, it says "Not recommended for use with HP 38 or 70 pigment inks.

I will take Neil's advice and Staples will get my paper back.

Neil:  What paper would you suggest I get to test the printer?  I don't  want to buy a roll of the Premier ID Glossy, as I don't like it, and I don't want to buy expensive paper to waste on the tests.  Ideal would be something less expensive, in 8.5x11 or 11x17 in relatively small quantities.

Thanks, both of you.

Mary K

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 09:19:28 am »

The paper I bought has the same number, Q6568A.  The Wilhelm Imaging seal is on the front.  But on the back flap that has the word Inkjet on the left, it says "Not recommended for use with HP 38 or 70 pigment inks.

Neil:  What paper would you suggest I get to test the printer?  I don't  want to buy a roll of the Premier ID Glossy, as I don't like it, and I don't want to buy expensive paper to waste on the tests.  Ideal would be something less expensive, in 8.5x11 or 11x17 in relatively small quantities.

Thanks, both of you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I see.  My box does not show that warning -- on the back flap it only says "Optimized with Vivera HP Inks".  
The only other HP paper that I have tried is the Premier ID Glossy, which did show star wheel marks.  However, I did not test it after my new star wheel assembly was installed, as I, like you, do not like the paper at all.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.
Mary
Mary Konchar

neil snape

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 01:20:56 pm »

The paper I bought has the same number, Q6568A.  The Wilhelm Imaging seal is on the front.  But on the back flap that has the word Inkjet on the left, it says "Not recommended for use with HP 38 or 70 pigment inks.

Neil:  What paper would you suggest I get to test the printer?  I don't  want to buy a roll of the Premier ID Glossy, as I don't like it, and I don't want to buy expensive paper to waste on the tests.  Ideal would be something less expensive, in 8.5x11 or 11x17 in relatively small quantities.

Thanks, both of you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Try High gloss contract proofing for some amazing gloss work. It is thinner , no logos on the back and less brightened, yet still bright, and has better gamut than all other HP photo media. It is however A3+ 13x19". I have no idea what it costs.

walter.sk

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 09:30:30 am »

Try High gloss contract proofing for some amazing gloss work. It is thinner , no logos on the back and less brightened, yet still bright, and has better gamut than all other HP photo media. It is however A3+ 13x19". I have no idea what it costs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the tip on the high gloss proofing paper.  I might try it just for the gamut.  But what I was asking was about getting a paper from HP the would be the most likely to show pizza wheel and/or roller marks, so that I can get the fix from HP before my warranty runs out.

neil snape

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 05:03:31 pm »

Thanks for the tip on the high gloss proofing paper.  I might try it just for the gamut.  But what I was asking was about getting a paper from HP the would be the most likely to show pizza wheel and/or roller marks, so that I can get the fix from HP before my warranty runs out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've never seen pizza wheel marks on any HP paper yet.
I have seen them on Innova, Hahnemuhle, and other Baryta or Pearl types.
I think that HP should warranty your rollers and exchange them even if the 1 year has gone by. They did announce the rollers to be due in about June. Maybe a call to sales, or tech support could get you the right answer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up